SOG SR: Dec 6: Pig Pile, Modern Art

  • flyingsheep
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2004
      Session Report: December 6, 2004
      Games Played: Pig Pile, Modern Art
      Gamers: Luke, Chris, Sara, Chip, Mike

      Thanks to Chris for hosting.

      PIG PILE (1:22)
      Chris: 9
      Luke: 8
      Chip: 8
      Mike: 6
      Sara: 4

      We played five rounds of Pig Pile to start off. This is a pretty light game with few choices and nice bits (little plastic pigs). Chris took the lead pretty early, finishing first in the first few hands. There was a little bit of an effort to hamper his progress in the latter rounds, but he won, nevertheless.
      The first part of each round (before the deck runs out) seemed unnecessary to me. In particular, in one round I played three of a kind (an immediate flush), an 8 (flush), and my last card. If it weren't for the required draw, I would have been in excellent shape. As it was, having only one card in my hand was a hindrence, as I had less options.
      I wonder what the game would be like if it were possible to elect to pick up piles early. In the hopes of getting a lot of instant flushes and to increase your play options, one might choose to pick up lots of cards, balancing the risk of having all of those cards later. But this play is disallowed by the rules, you must play if you can.
      In any event, we all enjoyed playing this game, and it made a nice start to a snowy evening.

      MODERN ART (1:15)
      Chris: 731
      Sara: 425
      Mike: 402
      Luke: 393
      Chip: 373

      Well, Chris walked away with the game. I feel like I've played it just often enough to have a good handle on how little I understand it. Hopefully, I'll come around the bend and start to develop reasonable strategies.
      I attempted to make money chiefly by selling paintings. I was paranoid about having to buy my own painting, so I'm sure I undersold a few of them. Chris broke this rule a few times (as we conspired against him), but didn't seem to be any worse for it. In hindsight, my fear of overpaying for artwork caused me to walk away from some really good deals.
      A new strategy that occurred to me (may be common knowledge to others) is to outbid the player who will start the next auction. If he or she is planning on auctioning another painting by the same artist, that player has a vested interest in setting a high price for the current piece. Even if you end up spending a lot for the current piece of art, you can count on another piece being auctioned next, which will help insure that your investment was sound.
      But don't take advice from me - I finished dead last. (:

      .chip

      Sent via the WebMail system at flyingsheep.com