Re: [Unity_Games] I demand a recount....

  • Adam Smiles
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
      >From: Mark Edwards <danger-mouse@...>
      >
      > ... and so do I, in last night's game of Goldbrau.
      >
      > We played several rules wrong and while that had nothing to do with my
      >dismal last place finish I am officially applying an asterisk to the
      >results.
      > It was James and I's second play of the game, with Dave and Rich as
      >newbies. I still find the game intriguing but I hate the blind choosing of
      >actions (think Basari). Rich took the win with a simple strategy, buy
      >stocks as much as possible. I don't think he chose the expand action once,
      >which might indicate a fairly serious problem with the game. Further
      >investigation is called for.

      Buying stocks as much as possible only works if you get them cheaply. Like
      it's cousin Basari, one of the keys to Goldbrau is being where you want to
      be, and being there alone. If player A insists on choosing buy stock, and
      none of the other players drive the price up on them, then its their fault
      for allowing player A to get so many cheap stocks. A will easily run away
      with the game. If you make that player pay 5 or 8 everytime they purchase,
      they'll either run out of money (which means no more stock purchases) or
      they'll pass their action, losing ground to other players who get to do
      stuff on their turn. Enough turns of paying through the nose or doing
      nothing, and they'll start choosing other stuff.

      I'm curious what rules you got wrong, as I got one wrong my first time as
      well. (I missed the rule about a boss not being able to change more than
      once per turn.).

      On the whole its a solid game, which I hope to play more of in the future.

      -Adam
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
        At 04:33 PM 11/3/2004 -0500, Adam Smiles wrote:

        >Buying stocks as much as possible only works if you get them cheaply...

        Not necessarily since when several other players choose the buy stock
        action they too must pay the higher amount. So relative to the other
        buyers you haven't lost ground (and obviously you've gained a stock). If
        you chose the action and forego buying the stock you don't spend any money,
        then again you don't gain any stock either.

        >I'm curious what rules you got wrong, as I got one wrong my first time as
        >well. (I missed the rule about a boss not being able to change more than
        >once per turn.).

        We were moving the waitress and bum incorrectly. They were beaming all
        over the place. James also found that something amiss with the Boss
        challenges.

        >On the whole its a solid game, which I hope to play more of in the future.

        I'm still on the fence. On the one hand I find the simple economic
        system pretty neat and elegant, but the action selection, luck in the
        stock purchasing and initial deal, plus the relative value of the actions
        concerns me. It's definitely got me intrigued enough to try it a few more
        times.

        Mark

        'F' is for the "fire" that burns down the whole town,
        'U' is for "uranium" ... bombs!,
        'N' is for "no survivors"...

        -- Plankton
      • James Torr
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2004
          > I'm curious what rules you got wrong, as I got one wrong my first
          time as
          > well. (I missed the rule about a boss not being able to change more
          than
          > once per turn.).

          I've played twice, and both times we played correctly according to
          the English rules. Then I looked on BGG and found out there is 1
          mistranslation in the rules, and some ambigity over the designer's
          intent about shares. The things we got "wrong" are:

          1. The drunken bum and pretty waitress can only move 0, 1, or 2
          spaces clockwise (skipping over the other token if it's there), not
          in either direction as the rules state. This was a mis-translation in
          the English rules.

          2. For challenging to become boss, the rules say you must have at
          least one share in the business being challenged, but the designer
          (Franz-Benno Delonge) says that what he meant by that was that you
          must have at least one share on the board *or in your hand*
          (a "hidden" share). In addition, the English rules say you can only
          lay down a share card when you buy it, in the course of a boss
          challenge, or right before Payday. But the designer posted on
          BGG: "You can show our hidden share at any time you want. Even if it
          is not your turn. Because you do already own the share. And it is
          your completely free decision, how long you want to use the
          additional advantage to keep this fact secret." This way would make
          the rules a little simpler so I'm going to go with it.