Re: [Unity_Games] I demand a recount....

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
      At 03:08 PM 11/3/2004 -0500, W. Eric Martin wrote:

      >...in last night's game of Reef Encounter.

      ... and so do I, in last night's game of Goldbrau.

      We played several rules wrong and while that had nothing to do with my
      dismal last place finish I am officially applying an asterisk to the results.
      It was James and I's second play of the game, with Dave and Rich as
      newbies. I still find the game intriguing but I hate the blind choosing of
      actions (think Basari). Rich took the win with a simple strategy, buy
      stocks as much as possible. I don't think he chose the expand action once,
      which might indicate a fairly serious problem with the game. Further
      investigation is called for.

      On a side note we started the night with an epic 7-player game of
      Struggle of Empires. Most of us were enjoying ourselves, but we called the
      game after the first war (there are supposed to be three) since Dave and
      Phil were looking green around the gills. It's definitely got a bit of
      Princes of Renaissance feel to it, but there's a lot more involved than
      that. Hopefully I'll get another shot at it this weekend.

      Mark

      'F' is for the "fire" that burns down the whole town,
      'U' is for "uranium" ... bombs!,
      'N' is for "no survivors"...

      -- Plankton
    • Adam Smiles
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
        >From: Mark Edwards <danger-mouse@...>
        >
        > ... and so do I, in last night's game of Goldbrau.
        >
        > We played several rules wrong and while that had nothing to do with my
        >dismal last place finish I am officially applying an asterisk to the
        >results.
        > It was James and I's second play of the game, with Dave and Rich as
        >newbies. I still find the game intriguing but I hate the blind choosing of
        >actions (think Basari). Rich took the win with a simple strategy, buy
        >stocks as much as possible. I don't think he chose the expand action once,
        >which might indicate a fairly serious problem with the game. Further
        >investigation is called for.

        Buying stocks as much as possible only works if you get them cheaply. Like
        it's cousin Basari, one of the keys to Goldbrau is being where you want to
        be, and being there alone. If player A insists on choosing buy stock, and
        none of the other players drive the price up on them, then its their fault
        for allowing player A to get so many cheap stocks. A will easily run away
        with the game. If you make that player pay 5 or 8 everytime they purchase,
        they'll either run out of money (which means no more stock purchases) or
        they'll pass their action, losing ground to other players who get to do
        stuff on their turn. Enough turns of paying through the nose or doing
        nothing, and they'll start choosing other stuff.

        I'm curious what rules you got wrong, as I got one wrong my first time as
        well. (I missed the rule about a boss not being able to change more than
        once per turn.).

        On the whole its a solid game, which I hope to play more of in the future.

        -Adam
      • Mark Edwards
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
          At 04:33 PM 11/3/2004 -0500, Adam Smiles wrote:

          >Buying stocks as much as possible only works if you get them cheaply...

          Not necessarily since when several other players choose the buy stock
          action they too must pay the higher amount. So relative to the other
          buyers you haven't lost ground (and obviously you've gained a stock). If
          you chose the action and forego buying the stock you don't spend any money,
          then again you don't gain any stock either.

          >I'm curious what rules you got wrong, as I got one wrong my first time as
          >well. (I missed the rule about a boss not being able to change more than
          >once per turn.).

          We were moving the waitress and bum incorrectly. They were beaming all
          over the place. James also found that something amiss with the Boss
          challenges.

          >On the whole its a solid game, which I hope to play more of in the future.

          I'm still on the fence. On the one hand I find the simple economic
          system pretty neat and elegant, but the action selection, luck in the
          stock purchasing and initial deal, plus the relative value of the actions
          concerns me. It's definitely got me intrigued enough to try it a few more
          times.

          Mark

          'F' is for the "fire" that burns down the whole town,
          'U' is for "uranium" ... bombs!,
          'N' is for "no survivors"...

          -- Plankton
        • James Torr
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2004
            > I'm curious what rules you got wrong, as I got one wrong my first
            time as
            > well. (I missed the rule about a boss not being able to change more
            than
            > once per turn.).

            I've played twice, and both times we played correctly according to
            the English rules. Then I looked on BGG and found out there is 1
            mistranslation in the rules, and some ambigity over the designer's
            intent about shares. The things we got "wrong" are:

            1. The drunken bum and pretty waitress can only move 0, 1, or 2
            spaces clockwise (skipping over the other token if it's there), not
            in either direction as the rules state. This was a mis-translation in
            the English rules.

            2. For challenging to become boss, the rules say you must have at
            least one share in the business being challenged, but the designer
            (Franz-Benno Delonge) says that what he meant by that was that you
            must have at least one share on the board *or in your hand*
            (a "hidden" share). In addition, the English rules say you can only
            lay down a share card when you buy it, in the course of a boss
            challenge, or right before Payday. But the designer posted on
            BGG: "You can show our hidden share at any time you want. Even if it
            is not your turn. Because you do already own the share. And it is
            your completely free decision, how long you want to use the
            additional advantage to keep this fact secret." This way would make
            the rules a little simpler so I'm going to go with it.