SOG SR: Point/Counter-Point

  • Christopher Lockheardt
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2004
      "We started with Electronic Catchphrase, a tough
      choice since Arkady is not a native English speaker.
      As a handicap, we put Arkady on one team and Rob on
      the
      other team."

      There you go, stealing my lines again.

      Arkady, though, has been a wonderful addition to SOG.
      A veritable board game virgin, he has been a quick
      study these past two weeks and already has as many
      victories as I manage in two months' time.

      "At this point it was down to Chris and Sara, each
      with
      one die left. Chris successfully bluffed against Sara
      and killed her last die . . ."

      Actually, I bluffed Sara on the second to last round,
      bidding a 5 when I didn't have one, prompting her to
      bid one more 5 than was in the cups. On the last
      round, Sara tried to return the favor, but since the
      only way I could win was by calling her, I lucked into
      the victory when it turned out she was bluffing.

      The best thing about Sara was that she agonized over
      making even the simplest of bids, so you could never
      tell whether she was formulating a complicated bluff
      or just torn between picking her favorite dice to bid,
      fearful of offending the others in the cup.

      "Chris was unhappy with the whole expedition card
      aspect of the game, which certainly affected his
      ability to win. (He almost completely ignored them,
      scoring no points at game end from expeditions)."

      Goa is great fun, like Princes of Florence with more
      flavor. My objection to the Expedition cards is simply
      that it is more satisfying spending my actions
      constructing a plan to move down the tracks than it is
      to grab a handful of cards and pray for matches. I
      also ignored the Colonies for the most part because I
      couldn't abide the luck of the draw, however small and
      mitigated it may be.

      I will probably never win Goa because I'll be loathe
      to sacrifice the pleasures of spice-shipping to the
      necessary risks of a winning strategy.

      Thanks to Rob for hosting and for not squeaking by me
      in Goa. (But thanks for nothing from those chickens.
      Where are my eggs?)

      Chris

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com