Re: [Unity_Games] [SR] Winter Hill 10/31/04

  • Doug Orleans
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
      First off, Chris, thanks for hosting! It was fun despite the low turnout.

      chris_roberts_42 writes:
      > Balloon Cup. There was some discussion of if when placing cubes
      > down if there is an invalid placement that you have to redraw some. I
      > know there is an issue with gray cubes possible, but I didn't think
      > this extended to any other color and we didn't see anything in the
      > rulebook.

      The semi-official errata is that if you ever draw a cube from the bag
      that would cause there to be more than half the cubes of that color on
      the board, set it aside and draw again. (If you run out of cubes
      while re-drawing, discard that hop as normal.) There's some
      discussion of this at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5716

      > The first game we played (which I don't recall the name for) was
      > apparently part of some contest of user-submitted games.

      Actually both games (Spellcycles and Undercut) are entries in the
      Second Ice Game Design Competition:
      http://icehousegames.com/contest/icedes-2/
      Voting is open until December 3rd, so feel free to send in a ballot
      now that you've played at least two games.

      > Which Doug did and I then passed taking my 10th point.
      > But since both Doug and Evan scored that round (which thinking back
      > I'm not sure should have happened) I won with the lowest of 10.
      > My question now would be that I believed scoring happened at the
      > start of the players turns so if I had 10 points from passing that
      > final turn shouldn't the game have ended before either Evan or Doug
      > scored or is there a special scoring for the endgame?

      Hey, that's a good point! The rules say "finish the scoring round",
      but that's assuming someone hits 10 points during the scoring round,
      not the auction round. I think maybe it makes more sense to do a
      final scoring round either way, but I'll check it out on the Icehouse
      list. http://mail.wunderland.com/mailman/listinfo/icehouse

      > Cargo
      > Doug had a good set up that Evan I both said at
      > the beginning looked like he'd be able to deliver a lot

      Yeah, the random set-up was a bit dissastisfying. It might work
      better if players bid VP to choose their color after seeing the
      set-up, or else just have a fixed set-up that's more balanced.

      --dougo@...