[SR] Winter Hill 10/31/04

  • chris_roberts_42
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
      10/31/04
      (Chris, Evan, Doug)

      Balloon Cup
      (Chris, Evan)
      Evan and I weren't really expecting anyone else with the exception of
      maybe Doug later so we played a couple two-player games. The first
      was Balloon Cup. There was some discussion of if when placing cubes
      down if there is an invalid placement that you have to redraw some. I
      know there is an issue with gray cubes possible, but I didn't think
      this extended to any other color and we didn't see anything in the
      rulebook.
      Very few gray cubes came up in the first few rounds and no red cubes
      came up. So halfway through the game we both had all the red cards in
      our hands, with Evan having most of them. To me he was already the
      winner anyways as I've noticed whoever is in the lead early on
      usually wins because they buy the trophies faster. I do wonder how
      much of this game is tactics and how much is obvious choice based on
      card draw.
      Anyways once the red cubes started coming up, Evan dominated the
      game. Although he never got the red trophy.
      Winner: Evan - 3 trophies (gray, green, yellow)
      Loser: Chris - 1 trophy (blue)

      Memoir '44
      (Chris, Evan)

      Next we went to one of the games Evan and I usually play when its
      just us. Although someone always shows up before we play more than
      once so we've never switched sides after a battle.
      We played the Sword Beach making it the first time we'd used the
      beach side of the board. I was the allies and he was the axis. As
      usual I was worried about the strong defensive positions possible in
      the scenarios. While certainly not unbeatable, they are definitely an
      advantage to whomever has them. Having my movement on the first few
      turns slowed by the water/beach wasn't good for me. Although with the
      right cards I was at least able to move lots of units in the same
      turn even though they didn't move very far.
      Evan didn't draw any center cards early on leaving his artillery
      unused. I first concentrated on my left side of the board. More to
      keep his troops over there busy then to take the town at the far end.
      I did take out a unit of his giving me the first victory point. The
      right side of the board was mostly ignored by both of us until late
      game when I moved my Commando's uncontested across it to take the
      town at the far end. Most of the action happened around the center or
      placements within range of the center. I had another Commando unit
      move all the way to the other end of the board (King me!) to try and
      take the town there, but they ended up in a cross-fire which they at
      one point retreated towards the people firing at them. Evan took out
      both my armor units eventually, but not after they had done some
      damage. Towards the end we were both tied at 4 victory points each.
      Evan made the final play taking down one of my infantry units for the
      win.

      Icehouse Pyramids
      (Chris, Evan, Doug)

      Mid-game of Memoir, Doug arrived (as well as many trick-or-treaters
      over the course of the night) and when we were done we played some of
      the Icehouse stuff he brought with him. I'd never played any of these
      games before, but I had read about the pyramids so understood the
      concept of them being used for different purposes.
      The first game we played (which I don't recall the name for) was
      apparently part of some contest of user-submitted games. It had 8
      different spell cards lined up and depending on finding the right
      combination of different colored pyramids on a square grid board you
      could spend tokens to cast a spell and gain victory points. You gain
      one token per turn and while there were a couple spells that let you
      gain more we usually had to spend just as many (or more) as we gained
      so we only got victory points. The problems with this game were
      players would have to cooperate somewhat when placing pyramids where
      they would help others, but probably not be able to benefit from the
      placement themselves, the fact some spells cost 6 tokens in a 7 turn
      game, and the pyramids you recieved to place were randomly
      distributed so we only placed one red pyramid the whole game. I
      didn't care for this particular game and hope it doesn't win the
      contest.
      After that game we played one called Undercut. This was an auction
      game that I liked much better. The idea being to get the lowest score
      (or not to get any points). You started with a few pyramids. Two lots
      of 1 big, 1 medium, and 1 small random pyramids would be placed on
      auction. Lowest bidder (including bids of zero) gets the pieces. Each
      person bids in turn and if you're underbid you get a chance to bid
      lower or pass. If you pass you take a point and a random pyramid.
      The catch is that the pyramids you own can score for you in either 4
      of the same size but different colors, 3 of the exact same
      color/size, or 3 of the same color but one of each size. And the
      points they are each worth go up each time someone scores something.
      Evan passed a lot figuring it was better to take one point then
      possible get stuck with more. I made a few mistakes as I didn't
      account for right away that the pyramids you bid with go away if you
      win. So its best to bid with ones that would give you points if you
      keep them and win the auction. One fo my mistakes may have worked to
      my advantage though as I got an low number of points for the 3 of a
      kind I scored early on. On the final round we all knew one of us
      would most likely go out. I had taken another low score bringing me
      up to 9 points (the game ends when someone has 10). Evan and Doug
      both had 7-8ish, but the pyramids that came up would make them score.
      I bid a ridiculously high amount as I had the opening bid, but if I
      won with it I'd have not scored. I wanted someone to underbid me so I
      could pass. Which Doug did and I then passed taking my 10th point.
      But since both Doug and Evan scored that round (which thinking back
      I'm not sure should have happened) I won with the lowest of 10.
      My question now would be that I believed scoring happened at the
      start of the players turns so if I had 10 points from passing that
      final turn shouldn't the game have ended before either Evan or Doug
      scored or is there a special scoring for the endgame?

      Cargo
      (Chris, Evan, Doug)

      This was another game that Doug brought with him. It involved placing
      crate tiles down on a square grid (a dock with boats near it) and
      workers down that could push (and sometimes pull) them one or two
      spaces or one or two crates depending on the worker type. You scored
      for pushing others crates off, crushing others workers (OSHA would
      not approve), and getting your crates pushed onto your boat.
      With being able to move 3 workers per turn you'd think there was some
      planning involved, but each worker could move/push so little that
      really there wasn't much. And with so many workers on the board they
      got in each others way a lot sometimes preventing you from doing
      anything worthwhile. You just had to hope for a good setup when it
      came around to you. Later in the game when the board had less on it
      there seemed to be a bit more strategy possible. But still not enough
      to really sell me on the game.
      I crushed a couple workers, tossed over a couple competitors crates,
      and delivered some of my own crates (which is worth most points) for
      a score of 12, but Doug had a good set up that Evan I both said at
      the beginning looked like he'd be able to deliver a lot and he made a
      final push *pun intended* for victory by delivering a couple crates
      then pushing one of his own over thus clearing the board of his
      crates and ending the game with a score of 13.

      -Chris
    • Doug Orleans
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
        First off, Chris, thanks for hosting! It was fun despite the low turnout.

        chris_roberts_42 writes:
        > Balloon Cup. There was some discussion of if when placing cubes
        > down if there is an invalid placement that you have to redraw some. I
        > know there is an issue with gray cubes possible, but I didn't think
        > this extended to any other color and we didn't see anything in the
        > rulebook.

        The semi-official errata is that if you ever draw a cube from the bag
        that would cause there to be more than half the cubes of that color on
        the board, set it aside and draw again. (If you run out of cubes
        while re-drawing, discard that hop as normal.) There's some
        discussion of this at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5716

        > The first game we played (which I don't recall the name for) was
        > apparently part of some contest of user-submitted games.

        Actually both games (Spellcycles and Undercut) are entries in the
        Second Ice Game Design Competition:
        http://icehousegames.com/contest/icedes-2/
        Voting is open until December 3rd, so feel free to send in a ballot
        now that you've played at least two games.

        > Which Doug did and I then passed taking my 10th point.
        > But since both Doug and Evan scored that round (which thinking back
        > I'm not sure should have happened) I won with the lowest of 10.
        > My question now would be that I believed scoring happened at the
        > start of the players turns so if I had 10 points from passing that
        > final turn shouldn't the game have ended before either Evan or Doug
        > scored or is there a special scoring for the endgame?

        Hey, that's a good point! The rules say "finish the scoring round",
        but that's assuming someone hits 10 points during the scoring round,
        not the auction round. I think maybe it makes more sense to do a
        final scoring round either way, but I'll check it out on the Icehouse
        list. http://mail.wunderland.com/mailman/listinfo/icehouse

        > Cargo
        > Doug had a good set up that Evan I both said at
        > the beginning looked like he'd be able to deliver a lot

        Yeah, the random set-up was a bit dissastisfying. It might work
        better if players bid VP to choose their color after seeing the
        set-up, or else just have a fixed set-up that's more balanced.

        --dougo@...