Re: [Unity_Games] A thanks and Q. about HQ Poker chips

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
      At 03:10 PM 9/1/2004 +0000, Steve Czuba wrote:
      >I know it's a bit off the Euro gaming thread - but hey I thought I
      >would ask. I've seen some stuff on the Net - but I'd prefer if I
      >could feel/touch/try out the goods prior.

      Steve,

      You might want to check Ebay after doing the touching and feeling at a
      brick & mortar shop. There's a host of online shops that do business via
      Ebay and the quality is pretty good. I got a set of 300 - 11.5g
      composite/clay chips with case (and dice and 2 decks of cards) for
      $76. The 11.5g weight gives them a nice heft.

      You'd be surprised how many poker players there are on this list!

      Mark

      Unity Games 8 - Gaming in Waltham! - October 2, 2004
      http://www.unitygames.org/ug8/ug8.htm
    • Doug Orleans
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2004
        Mark Edwards writes:

        > At 03:10 PM 9/1/2004 +0000, Steve Czuba wrote:
        > >I know it's a bit off the Euro gaming thread - but hey I thought I
        > >would ask. I've seen some stuff on the Net - but I'd prefer if I
        > >could feel/touch/try out the goods prior.
        >
        > Steve,
        >
        > You might want to check Ebay after doing the touching and feeling at a
        > brick & mortar shop. There's a host of online shops that do business via
        > Ebay and the quality is pretty good. I got a set of 300 - 11.5g
        > composite/clay chips with case (and dice and 2 decks of cards) for
        > $76. The 11.5g weight gives them a nice heft.

        You can also order some from the Cheapass Games website:

        http://www.cheapass.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PKRCHP

        $25 per set of 100 chips, so it's about the same price that Mark got
        (but that doesn't include shipping). I went to about 4-5 different
        places in the area (including the tobacco shop in Harvard Square)
        looking for red/yellow/green chips for playing One False Step For
        Mankind, but everyone only had the standard red/white/blue colors.
        Cheapass offers 8 different colors, if that matters to you.

        --dougo@...
      • Joseph Czapski
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2004
          A note about the Compleat Gamester store in Waltham: years ago when I
          stopped in occassionally and looked at ping pong stuff, juggling props, and
          poker chips, I noted that their prices are often 50% higher than MSRP. I
          was surprised, because usually the MSRP is the upper limit to the retail
          price! So if you go there, it's good to first arm yourself with knowledge
          of poker chip prices from online stores, of which there are several.

          Joe Czapski
          Arlington, Mass.
        • Mark Edwards
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2004
            I did a search for the same chips I had bought a couple of years ago
            and now they're even cheaper!

            http://tinyurl.com/432vs

            It looks like you can easily get a set of 500 11.5 gram clay chips for
            even less than I paid for 300! I couldn't resist the chips with the dice
            faces on em, but there are other choices.

            Mark

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2004
              At 11:49 AM 9/2/2004 -0400, Mark Edwards wrote:
              > I did a search for the same chips I had bought a couple of years ago
              >and now they're even cheaper!

              But be aware of the shipping charges involved. These sets are heavy!