A thanks and Q. about HQ Poker chips

  • Steve Czuba
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1 8:10 AM
      First thanks to all who helped me track down a copy of Memoir44 for
      my son's B-day last week.

      He, and I (hehe) , enjoy it a great deal. Quite a change from my old
      AH gaming days.

      I also thought of poking this list, to see if any of you knew any
      local stores that might carry Poker supplies. Specifically, poker
      chip sets that have a decent weight and feel to them.

      I know it's a bit off the Euro gaming thread - but hey I thought I
      would ask. I've seen some stuff on the Net - but I'd prefer if I
      could feel/touch/try out the goods prior.

      thanks
    • elkind_rob@emc.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1 8:18 AM
        The complete gamester in Waltham has a decent selection.

        First thanks to all who helped me track down a copy of Memoir44 for
        my son's B-day last week.

        He, and I (hehe) , enjoy it a great deal. Quite a change from my old
        AH gaming days.

        I also thought of poking this list, to see if any of you knew any
        local stores that might carry Poker supplies. Specifically, poker
        chip sets that have a decent weight and feel to them.

        I know it's a bit off the Euro gaming thread - but hey I thought I
        would ask. I've seen some stuff on the Net - but I'd prefer if I
        could feel/touch/try out the goods prior.

        thanks

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bill Toscano
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1 8:19 AM
          I am pretty sure Games People Play has them.

          Also, the "other" gaming store in Waltham, the one right on Moody Street
          (not Danger Plant) has them.

          Liam
        • Brian Alan Joughin
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1 8:23 AM
            > I also thought of poking this list, to see if any of you knew any
            > local stores that might carry Poker supplies. Specifically, poker
            > chip sets that have a decent weight and feel to them.
            >
            > I know it's a bit off the Euro gaming thread - but hey I thought I
            > would ask. I've seen some stuff on the Net - but I'd prefer if I
            > could feel/touch/try out the goods prior.

            I remember seeing a place, I forget the name, on Moody Street in Waltham
            when I went down that way to check out Danger Planet games.

            Is there any interest in a UG poker night somewhere, at some point?

            -Brian
          • Mark Edwards
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1 8:48 AM
              At 03:10 PM 9/1/2004 +0000, Steve Czuba wrote:
              >I know it's a bit off the Euro gaming thread - but hey I thought I
              >would ask. I've seen some stuff on the Net - but I'd prefer if I
              >could feel/touch/try out the goods prior.

              Steve,

              You might want to check Ebay after doing the touching and feeling at a
              brick & mortar shop. There's a host of online shops that do business via
              Ebay and the quality is pretty good. I got a set of 300 - 11.5g
              composite/clay chips with case (and dice and 2 decks of cards) for
              $76. The 11.5g weight gives them a nice heft.

              You'd be surprised how many poker players there are on this list!

              Mark

              Unity Games 8 - Gaming in Waltham! - October 2, 2004
              http://www.unitygames.org/ug8/ug8.htm
            • Doug Orleans
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1 6:16 PM
                Mark Edwards writes:

                > At 03:10 PM 9/1/2004 +0000, Steve Czuba wrote:
                > >I know it's a bit off the Euro gaming thread - but hey I thought I
                > >would ask. I've seen some stuff on the Net - but I'd prefer if I
                > >could feel/touch/try out the goods prior.
                >
                > Steve,
                >
                > You might want to check Ebay after doing the touching and feeling at a
                > brick & mortar shop. There's a host of online shops that do business via
                > Ebay and the quality is pretty good. I got a set of 300 - 11.5g
                > composite/clay chips with case (and dice and 2 decks of cards) for
                > $76. The 11.5g weight gives them a nice heft.

                You can also order some from the Cheapass Games website:

                http://www.cheapass.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PKRCHP

                $25 per set of 100 chips, so it's about the same price that Mark got
                (but that doesn't include shipping). I went to about 4-5 different
                places in the area (including the tobacco shop in Harvard Square)
                looking for red/yellow/green chips for playing One False Step For
                Mankind, but everyone only had the standard red/white/blue colors.
                Cheapass offers 8 different colors, if that matters to you.

                --dougo@...
              • Joseph Czapski
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2 8:32 AM
                  A note about the Compleat Gamester store in Waltham: years ago when I
                  stopped in occassionally and looked at ping pong stuff, juggling props, and
                  poker chips, I noted that their prices are often 50% higher than MSRP. I
                  was surprised, because usually the MSRP is the upper limit to the retail
                  price! So if you go there, it's good to first arm yourself with knowledge
                  of poker chip prices from online stores, of which there are several.

                  Joe Czapski
                  Arlington, Mass.
                • Mark Edwards
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2 8:49 AM
                    I did a search for the same chips I had bought a couple of years ago
                    and now they're even cheaper!

                    http://tinyurl.com/432vs

                    It looks like you can easily get a set of 500 11.5 gram clay chips for
                    even less than I paid for 300! I couldn't resist the chips with the dice
                    faces on em, but there are other choices.

                    Mark

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 2 9:13 AM
                      At 11:49 AM 9/2/2004 -0400, Mark Edwards wrote:
                      > I did a search for the same chips I had bought a couple of years ago
                      >and now they're even cheaper!

                      But be aware of the shipping charges involved. These sets are heavy!