Session Report: Bob Day 8.28.04

  • Teryg
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2004
      BOB DAY AUGUST 28, 2004

      PRESENT: Bob, Sean, Terry E., Mario, Regina, Craig, Pitt, Alan, Adam,
      Becky, Dan, Mike R., Mark, Evan, Ron, Richard S., Tery G.
      GAMES PLAYED

      TICKET TO RIDE WITH THE MYSTERY TRAIN EXPANSION: Bob, Sean, Craig, Pitt, Tery
      Alan brought some paste-ups of the soon-to-be-released Mystery Train
      Expansion, which adds some cards to the Ticket deck. These additions
      aren't actual tickets, though – they are special cards that allow you
      to get bonus points at the end of the game (much like Prestige cards
      in PoF), with the exception of one card that allows you to, in lieu of
      a turn, look through the entire deck of tickets and take any card you
      want. One card lets you double the value of any ticket that you make
      (only for cards worth 10 or less), one gives you bonus points for
      making a cross-country route, one gives you bonus points for a west
      coast route and one gives you bonus points for connecting to the most
      cities. We liked the expansion, although there was a lot of down time
      while the person with the card that lets you look through the whole
      deck was making their choice. Pitt won, though it was without any
      bonus cards, so we can't blame the expansion . . . . .

      VICTORY AND HONOR: Richard and Tery G. vs. Mike R. and Terry E.
      I'm a fan of trick-taking games, so I was looking forward to trying
      this one, and I was not disappointed. This was a great game. I loved
      the mechanics for card play. Way to go, Ty!

      Each player gets 10 cards. Every player also has a board with a left
      flank, center and right flank and 4 colored cubes that correlate with
      the color of the cards. It is a partnership game, and you sit across
      the table from your partner. There are 4 rounds, and there are 3
      phases in each round. The start player plays a card of his/her choice
      in the region of their choice. The color of that card determines the
      suit for that region, and all players put their corresponding colored
      cube at the top of the card. This happens each time a region is first
      played. Since there are 4 colors, each region will have a different
      suit and the leftover color becomes trump.

      Playing on your left flank forces the player to your left to play a
      card, playing on your right flank forces the player to your right to
      play a card and playing in the center forces your partner to play a
      card. The player can place a card in any region available to them, as
      long as it doesn't force a premature end to the phase or unless the
      previous player played a 1, which is a scout card. The scout card
      allows that player to demand that an opposing player play in a
      particular region or suggest that their partner do so. You must follow
      suit if you can. Cards following suit are played face up; if you
      cannot follow suit, you play the card of your choice face down, to be
      revealed at the end of the round.

      Lather, rinse, repeat until every player has filled all 3 of their
      regions. You then determine who has won each trick, taking into
      account any pf the 2 additional special cards that may have been
      played. 4s, which are artillery, kill a face up card in its line of
      fire – if I play it on my left flank, it would kill the card on the
      right flank of the person to my left. The player who played the
      artillery card takes the card they killed into their score pile. 7s,
      which are the Calvary, automatically captures all cards in that region
      if the 7 was the last card played. Special cards are only in effect
      when they are placed face up.

      The highest card played wins the trick. Suits run from 1-7 plus a one
      star, two star and three star general per suit, with 1 being the
      lowest and the three star general being the highest. Trump works just
      as you would expect it to. All cards you win are placed in your
      "spoils of war" pile and the next phase begins. Although it is a
      partnership game, you and your partner do not share your spoils of war
      pile and keep your cards and score them separately.

      At the end of the 3rd phase, the round ends. You will have one card
      left in your hand, which you play to your spoils pile. After all of
      the tricks are resolved, you score. Cards only score if you have at
      least one general of that same color. If you have one general, you
      score one point for each card in the corresponding color. If you have
      two generals, you score two, and so on. Each general scores the number
      of stars it has. Each person tallies their score and then combines the
      number with their partners score.

      The game ends after 4 rounds, and the partnership with the highest
      score wins. There are optional honor cards that can be added into the
      game to add additional scoring opportunities; we didn't play with
      them, but I look forward to trying them.

      Richard and I had managed a strong first round (41 – 16), which turned
      out to be the key of our 112-102 victory. I will be purchasing this
      from my not-so-local friendly game retailer ASAP.

      DICKE LUFT UN DER GRUFT: Becky, Adam, Mark, Sean, Tery
      A cute new memory game from the makers of Zapp Zerapp. I am absolutely
      terrible at memory games, and this was no exception, but I can see it
      being a good family game for those with younger children, The board
      has several graves, all covered by coffins with different-colored
      undersides. Each player has a row of vampires (all very cute and
      cuddly – no need to scare the young 'uns) in front of them as well as
      3 cloves of garlic. The vampires (I think we each had 12 of them) are
      face down in front of you, with the 2 on each end flipped face up. On
      your turn, you remove a coffin cover. If the coffin is empty, and the
      color matches a vampire on the end of your row, you can place that
      vampire in the coffin and take another turn, If you can't place a
      vampire, you can place a clove of garlic if you have one available
      (this does not allow you to go again). If the coffin has someone
      else's garlic in it, they get the garlic back and they get to give you
      one of their vampires. If it is your own garlic, all of the other
      players get to give you a vampire. If a vampire is already sleeping in
      the coffin, you get a stake 3 stakes and everyone else gets to give
      you a vampire. First person to lose all of their vampires wins. Becky
      won – I think I had more vampires then I started with.

      POWER GRID: Adam, Mike R., Ron, Tery
      My second game in a row where the big power plants were hiding until
      the very end. We were all pretty close until the last couple of
      rounds, when it came down to Adam and Mike. Adam managed to pull out
      the victory.

      OTHER GAMES PLAYED:
      I also played Web of Power, Carcassone and 6Nimmt. Games others played included:

      HEROSCAPE was in almost constant play all day, always by 4 players. I
      think Mark and Alan were in every game of it! It was a big hit with
      everyone who played it. It was less of a hit for those playing near
      it, as it involved a lot of yelling. . . . . Who says the target
      audience is preadolescent boys? The average age of those involved was
      definitely over 30.

      FOPPEN
      FIFTH AVE.
      QUANDRY
      MEMOIR '44
      DIE SEIDENSTRASE
      ST. PETERSBURG
      GOA

      --
      Eastern MA Gaming, Unity Games 8 - October 2, 2004
      http://www.unitygames.org/ug8/ug8.htm