Re: [Unity_Games] CM vs Torres for SdJ

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2000
      Okay,

      Here is my 2 cents on this years SdJ. First, my vote
      for the winner is actually Ohne Furcht und Adel. It
      is my favorite of the three and I actually think that
      it is different enough with a strong appeal for
      families and more serious gamers that the jury will
      give it strong consideration. I also always root for
      underdogs and this is it for the SdJ. I do agree with
      that Card games should have a separate category. They
      are just too different than board games. I don't this
      will happen for the SdJ, but we should campaign Greg
      S. to add this for the Gamer's choice awards.

      Regarding CM and Torres. I haven't played CM so I
      only have some initial impressions. I has a great
      visual look and the fact that 2, 3 and 4 player games
      all seem to have a different feel to them are great
      points.

      I have played Torres and am not a huge fan of the
      game. This is not to say that I don't think it is a
      good game - I would give it an 7 just on the game
      alone, but for me it is terribly dry. It's visual
      appeal is also good and the 3d thing it has going is a
      bonus. I'm guessing it is the SdJ favorite.

      Regardless of which game wins, I think the jury has
      chosen 3 excellent games. My only dissappointment is
      that Taj Mahal didn't make the cut for that is my
      winner for the year.

      On to the suggestion of a SdJ nite. What a great idea
      for an evening theme. Getting a total flavor for SdJ
      winners in an evening would be enjoyable and
      insightful.

      Best Regards,
      Craig

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Eddie Campisano
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2000
        Greetings All!

        Craig Massey wrote:

        > I have played Torres and am not a huge fan of the
        > game. This is not to say that I don't think it is a
        > good game - I would give it an 7 just on the game
        > alone, but for me it is terribly dry.

        BLASPHEMY! ... HERETIC!! ... BURN THE INFIDEL!!!

        Hey, Craig, it was good to have you at the game session on Saturday and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed
        yourself. You're welcome back anytime, although you will first have to repent of your evil statement
        and for penance play a game of Torres, lose badly and then humbly rate the game a 10. Otherwise the
        "Spanish Inquisition" will be forced to deal with you! Bishop Mark, what is the penalty for an
        unrepentant reprobate?

        Please give the group some additional details on the Rio Grande game tournament at ConMan. Carol and
        I haven't been to ConMan in years and last year we missed Total Confusion. I agree that the board
        game tournaments at these cons have been anemic for years. When Carol and I attend it's almost
        always to visit the dealers area and play games in the open area. We haven't entered a tournament
        since our last Contrary convention in 1993! But since you'll be hosting some good games we just may
        make an effort to play this year. So please send us the details! We are no longer on the ConMan
        mailing list and haven't received a flyer. Do they have a web page?

        How many are going to be in attendance at B&N on Monday night? I know of four thus far; Dave, Eddie,
        Carol and Andrew. Are there any others?

        Eddie
      • AndAgainMA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2000
          Torres won the SdJ, so there!

          Another announcement: I now have a young (immature?) games web site. I'll be
          adding to it this evening essential things like a link to Dave's SSG page.
          (Maybe Dave will return the favor!) My site currently has fewer reviews than
          Dave's but one more than Mark's.

          Typing of Mark, I believe that he will be at B&N tomorrow evening.

          Looking out at the Torres-ential rain,

          Andrew.
        • Mark J. Edwards
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2000
            Yep I'll be there.

            Sorry, no Bazaar here.

            Dave Bernazzani wrote:

            > Eddie Campisano <edcamp@...> wrote:
            >
            > >Greetings All!
            > >
            > >Dave mentioned the SdJ and his hope that Torres would win.
            >
            > And so it has. It's been announced that Torres is the winner for SdJ
            > 2000. I'll go send Bruno a consolatory note. I think we are 5 for
            > Monday so Torres is out anyway! Anyone have a copy of Bazaar to
            > bring? I've got Queen's new Silver Dwarves on the way and I've heard
            > some comparisons being drawn between them.
            >
            > --
            > Dave Bernazzani
            > dber@...
            > http://www.gis.net/~dber (South Shore Gamers)

            Mark Edwards
            dangermouse@...
          • Craig Massey
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2000
              Unfortunately, I won't be available for games and B&N
              tonite.

              I should have the full details on conman tomorrow.

              Finally, I'm glad to know my opinion on Torres is
              making a big splash. Thumbscrews, the Iron Maiden,
              and whatever else can be drummed up won't sway me. It
              is a very good game that doesn't pique my interest in
              the slightest.

              I'm a huge knizia fan so normally the thinnest of
              veneers on his games don't phase me a bit, but the
              dryness of Torres crosses my limit. I totally respect
              the game for what it does - it is one of the few to
              use a 3rd dimension well and the card mechanism is an
              excellent one, but it doesn't strike my fancy.

              All this being said - I'll be happy to play it
              whenever and take my beating like a man from all of
              the Torres fans out there.

              Best Regards,
              Craig
              --- Eddie Campisano <edcamp@...> wrote:
              > Greetings All!
              >
              > Craig Massey wrote:
              >
              > > I have played Torres and am not a huge fan of the
              > > game. This is not to say that I don't think it is
              > > good game - I would give it an 7 just on the game
              > > alone, but for me it is terribly dry.
              >
              > BLASPHEMY! ... HERETIC!! ... BURN THE INFIDEL!!!
              >
              > Hey, Craig, it was good to have you at the game
              > session on Saturday and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed
              > yourself. You're welcome back anytime, although you
              > will first have to repent of your evil statement
              > and for penance play a game of Torres, lose badly
              > and then humbly rate the game a 10. Otherwise the
              > "Spanish Inquisition" will be forced to deal with
              > you! Bishop Mark, what is the penalty for an
              > unrepentant reprobate?
              >
              > Please give the group some additional details on the
              > Rio Grande game tournament at ConMan. Carol and
              > I haven't been to ConMan in years and last year we
              > missed Total Confusion. I agree that the board
              > game tournaments at these cons have been anemic for
              > years. When Carol and I attend it's almost
              > always to visit the dealers area and play games in
              > the open area. We haven't entered a tournament
              > since our last Contrary convention in 1993! But
              > since you'll be hosting some good games we just may
              > make an effort to play this year. So please send us
              > the details! We are no longer on the ConMan
              > mailing list and haven't received a flyer. Do they
              > have a web page?
              >
              > How many are going to be in attendance at B&N on
              > Monday night? I know of four thus far; Dave, Eddie,
              > Carol and Andrew. Are there any others?
              >
              > Eddie

              =====
              Craig W. Massey
              cwmassey@...

              http://mail.yahoo.com/
            • Craig Massey
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10, 2000
                AARRRGH!

                So much for the underdog theory.

                Torres is a most deserving winner though, so I'm not
                surprised at all. I can't remember the last time, my
                choice for the SdJ actually won.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 10, 2000
                  Andrew,
                  Where's the link to the new site?

                  Mark

                  AndAgainMA@... wrote:

                  > Torres won the SdJ, so there!
                  >
                  > Another announcement: I now have a young (immature?) games web site. I'll be
                  > adding to it this evening essential things like a link to Dave's SSG page.
                  > (Maybe Dave will return the favor!) My site currently has fewer reviews than
                  > Dave's but one more than Mark's.
                  >
                  > Typing of Mark, I believe that he will be at B&N tomorrow evening.
                  >
                  > Looking out at the Torres-ential rain,
                  >
                  > Andrew.

                  > Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
                  > experiments.

                  Mark Edwards
                  dangermouse@...