Best reviewers for board games?

  • Chad
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
      Hi All,

      One of the things we want to do with our new games is try to get
      them reviewed by people with good standing in the gaming community.
      Who are the reviewers you listen to the most?

      Best regards,
      Chad
    • Matthew Horn
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
        Chad,

        Who's "we"?

      • Chad
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
          Sorry, "we" is me and Robert Dougherty, my partner in crime. I
          mentioned him (although I don't think by name) in my introduction
          post. :)

          We're going to be publishing our own games under the Your Move Games
          brand.

          Best,
          Chad

          --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Horn <mhorn@m...> wrote:
          > Chad,
          >
          > Who's "we"?

        • J C Lawrence
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
            On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 19:11:07 -0000
            Chad <teek_tqk@...> wrote:

            > Hi All, One of the things we want to do with our new games is try to
            > get them reviewed by people with good standing in the gaming
            > community. Who are the reviewers you listen to the most?

            A good subset to start with are (in no particular order):

            Greg Schloesser
            Mik Svellov
            Shannon Appelcline
            Tom Vasel

            See Boardgamegeek, Spielfrieks, and rpg.net (which Shannon has been
            stuffing with more German game reviews) for instances of their past
            reviews. Also, make sure to get your game and company listed on
            GoneCardboard over at GameFest (Rick Thornquist).

            --
            J C Lawrence
            claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
              At 07:11 PM 6/2/2004 +0000, Chad wrote:

              >One of the things we want to do with our new games is try to get
              >them reviewed by people with good standing in the gaming community.
              >Who are the reviewers you listen to the most?

              Here's a few names you might want to get in touch with. These folks
              are respected and well known for their reviews in the board gaming community.
              Greg Schloesser (http://www.westbankgamers.com)
              Tom Vasel (I don't think he has a web site, but you can find his
              reviews on all the gaming related email lists, including this one)
              Rick Thornquist (http://www.gamefest.com/news/)
              Mik Svellov (http://www.brettboard.dk/)

              And there are probably others that I've forgotten about at the moment.

              As you can see there's a large and thriving board gaming community
              right in the area so feel free to call on us as a resource. There are
              groups all over the area (the YMG in North Providence is a couple of miles
              away from where I grew up) that would be happy to review, beta test, etc.

              And free up your calendar for Unity Games 8! It's a great way to
              network and get a pulse on the board gaming community here in eastern MA.

              Mark

              "Ankh" if you love Jenny Agutter.
              Philip Tallon
            • Matthew Horn
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
                Sorry! I got the posts out of order.

                Reviewers in good standing... Greg Schloesser is the only other person that
                springs to mind after Vasel for sheer quality and quantity of reviews... I'm
                not sure if Rick Thornquist does much reviewing anymore since he's very busy
                reporting for Gamefest/Gamewire (you might want to add them to your press
                release list). Remember that Vasel is in Korea so getting a game to him will
                be at considerable expense if you want it there fast.

                hth,

                matt