prototyping supplies?

  • mcdirge
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
      Anybody know a company that sells pre-scored ~1 inch hexagonal
      stickypaper. Cuting them myself is a real pain.

      I also need Hex chits to stick em on.
      Either a comany that will sell me blank ones
      Or if anybody has any really crappy hex based games that they would
      sell cheap for parts, let me know.

      Ben
    • J C Lawrence
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
        On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:39:51 -0000
        mcdirge <mcdirge@...> wrote:

        > Anybody know a company that sells pre-scored ~1 inch hexagonal
        > stickypaper. Cuting them myself is a real pain.

        How are you cutting them? I've made several copies of Schacht's Gods
        now, and while cutting hexes is a pain, some planning for the cuts along
        with carefully setting up multiple pieces for a single cut and
        deliberate material wastage can really speed up the process. The trick
        is to affect as many pieces as possible with a single cut (5 - 6 seems
        about the sweet spot in terms of control/precision).

        ObNote: Use a rotary cutter. I use a Fiskars cutter with an 18" steel
        rule on a self-healing cutting mat (the mat and rotary cutter can be
        had as a unit from Walmart for ~$18). Good stuff.

        With such I find I can make a copy of Gods in about 2 hours, or a copy
        of Richard Irving's build-your-own-map setup for Age of Steam in about
        an hour.

        --
        J C Lawrence
        claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
          > mcdirge <mcdirge@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Anybody know a company that sells pre-scored ~1
          > inch hexagonal
          > > stickypaper. Cuting them myself is a real pain.

          Most craft stores will have hexagon punches. I'm sure
          in 1" size, too. You could simply punch from a plain
          sheet.

          Eric

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • mcdirge
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
            --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, J C Lawrence <claw@k...> wrote:

            > How are you cutting them?

            I'm not sure what they are called, but I was trying to cut with one
            of those square Bar cutters with a ruler along the side. With that
            thing no matter how you line it up there is trimming to do and the
            cheap one I have can only cut about 3 or 4 sheets at a time without
            binding up.

            I will look for a rotary one, thanks.
          • J C Lawrence
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
              On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 01:34:29 -0000
              mcdirge <mcdirge@...> wrote:
              > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, J C Lawrence <claw@k...> wrote:

              >> How are you cutting them?

              > I'm not sure what they are called, but I was trying to cut with one of
              > those square Bar cutters with a ruler along the side. With that thing
              > no matter how you line it up there is trimming to do and the cheap one
              > I have can only cut about 3 or 4 sheets at a time without binding up.

              Ahh. That's a recipe for pain.

              > I will look for a rotary one, thanks.

              Its also worthwhile reading up on the various prototype manufacturing
              discussions on the BGDF.

              --
              J C Lawrence
              claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?