Re: [Unity_Games] C&C ancients on p500 list

  • Dan Blum
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25, 2004

      > > It's not a typo, GMT is trying to keep the cost of the game at a semi-
      > > reasonable level (it's already more than I'm willing to pay for it).
      >
      > I dunno, at the preorder price of $45, it's the same list price of Battle
      > Cry (but street price of BC is more like $35) -- and less than list for
      > Memoir '44 ($49.95 with est. street price of about $40).

      The preorder price of $45 isn't outrageous, just too much for me
      given how little I play 2-player games like that. Actually it comes
      to $51 or so with shipping, and there's no way I know of with GMT's
      system to add other stuff to the order to reduce per-item shipping
      (except to pre-order more copies of C&C:A).

      > Cool:
      > - you can submit a historical scenario for this game system.
      > - 3 additional scenarios only for pre-orders of Commands & Colors: Ancients.
      >
      > Not so cool:
      > - Cardboard chits instead of miniatures

      Actually I think the cardboard standups (they're not flat counters) are
      preferable here for two reasons:

      1. They look nicer than miniatures, unless you paint the miniatures.

      2. Data can be printed directly on them. This wasn't a big issue for Battle
      Cry - since it only has 4 types of figures, remembering the movement and combat
      values for each wasn't difficult. C&C:A has more like 11 different kinds of units
      just in this set, and will probably have more if other army sets are ever released.
      The game will tend to go faster if you can just look at the figure to see
      its numbers instead of looking them up on a chart.

      Dan Blum tool@...