SR: Alexandros, Java.

  • Vitas Povilaitis
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2004
      Hello all!
      It's time for my gaming update. Hope you enjoy reading it.

      This session report can be found at
      http://www.GracefulBoot.com/board_games/20040401.html

      Board Game Session Report for April 1, 2004: Alexandros, Java

      Danger Planet session. 4-player Alexandros, 3-player Java.

      Alexandros

      Players were Karl, Paul, Cindy, myself. New players to the game were:
      Paul, myself. I had the first turn.

      We spent 13 minutes going over the rules and setting up the game.

      Karl was disappointed with his scoring opportunities during the game.

      In the end, Cindy and I were tied for first place, and Paul and Karl
      were tied for last place. Karl, unable to do anything about it, was
      encouraging Paul to end the game by using up the outline tokens, at
      least preventing Cindy from becoming the clear winner. Paul
      disregarded Karl's advice in an effort to, at least, beat Karl for
      third place, making Cindy the clear winner.

      Game lasted 70 minutes.

      Final scores were:
      * Karl: 31
      * Paul: 34
      * Cindy: 58
      * Vitas: 51

      Java

      Players were Paul, Cindy, myself. Paul was a new player to the game.
      Paul had the first turn.

      We spent 24 minutes going over the rules and setting up the game.

      Cindy neglected going for reservoirs early on, but soon made up for
      that by finishing off the water tiles and scoring a lot. I broke from
      my usual strategy of building reservoirs only, because I saw a chance
      to build ten hex villages with palaces early on. I think my strategy
      of focusing on reservoirs early on was flawed because it locked me out
      of some lucrative ten-point villages during the end-game. This time, I
      was set to lock in those lucrative villages to great success.

      Cindy did have me on the run, because she was scoring more points than
      me during the game. Before final scoring, she was at 61 and I was at
      48. But I knew final scoring tends to more than double a player's
      score.

      Paul, I think, was more captivated by the mechanics of the game, than
      the strategy in the game. He seemed, though, to enjoy the tactical
      thrill of scoring short-term points. This would prove his undoing in
      the end. He kicked of final scoring and shot ahead of Cindy and me.
      But that just showed us what we needed to beat, and we set out to do
      just that.

      Game lasted 96 minutes.

      Final scores were:
      * Paul: 76
      * Cindy: 109
      * Vitas: 122

      Vitas Povilaitis
      http://www.GracefulBoot.com/board_games

      Check my What's New page where I collect interesting news and links:
      http://www.GracefulBoot.com/board_games/2004_history.html