What Saw Table Time In Q1

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
      I had a few spare minutes over lunch so here is what I
      spent the first quarter of the year playing.

      10+ plays
      San Juan - 15
      Magic - 10

      Most of those San Juan games were on BSW and yes I
      count those games. I am enjoying the game as much as
      I enjoyed Puerto Rico when it first came out. Like
      Puerto Rico, I keep finding strategies that I think
      will work well after winning with it once only to
      appear as bright as a box of hammers the next time
      when I try the same thing and get crushed...by a bag
      of rocks.

      If the game is as popular as PR, people are going to
      get really annoyed with the quality of the cardstock
      which doesn't seem like it will hold up well with
      heavy play.

      5 - 9 plays
      Catch Phrase - 9
      Ohne Furcht und Adel - 8
      Cribbage - 6
      Tongiaki - 6
      Durch Die Wuste - 5
      King's Breakfast - 5
      Lost Cities - 5
      Oasis - 5

      Every year there are a handful of games that get 5+
      plays only to never to see the light of day again for
      me. Last year Attika filled that role. So far this
      year, Tongiaki saw six quick plays and its highly
      unlikely to see anymore. I tried it with 2, 3, 4, and
      5 players and no one I played it with ever liked it.
      The game feels totally chaotic and while there are
      some nice ideas in it, its generally not a good thing
      when during the game you spend more time thinking
      about unpleasant household chores than the game.

      Everything else at this level is already or will be a
      a keeper.

      4 Plays
      Alhambra
      Web of Power

      Two of my favorites.

      3 Plays
      Einfach Genial
      Hamster Rolle
      Hansa
      IQ 5
      Kogge
      Nobody But Us Chickens
      Princes of Florence
      Santiago

      Lots of good games in this group that will likely see
      5+ or even 10+ plays before the year is out. Einfach
      Genial is a new Knizia abstract game from Kosmos. It
      uses the score your weakest category concept to nice
      effect and while the game doesn't appear terribly
      deep, it is very pleasant to play.

      Hansa is the new Michael Schacht game. Last year he
      released Paris, Paris at this time and it was
      something of a quick pop hit that faded really fast.
      I don't think Hansa will be as popular out of the
      gate, but I think the game will have more staying
      power despite not being to everyone's tastes.

      Now that Funkenschlag is getting a full production
      treatment, Kogge is next on my list of games that I
      most want to see picked up by one of the larger German
      companies.

      2 Plays
      Adam & Eva
      Adel Verpflichtet
      Age of Steam (both on the Ireland map)
      Bus
      Dvonn
      For Sale
      Hick Hack im Gackelwack
      Isi
      Kardinal & Konig: Das Kartenspiel
      Liar's Dice
      Mystery Rummy Case No. 1: Jack The Ripper
      Pictionary
      Princes of the Renaissance
      Puerto Rico
      Railroad Dice
      Saboteur
      Taj Mahal
      Ticket To Ride
      Traumfabrik
      Trendy
      Und Tschuss!
      Wallenstein

      I'm thoroughly enjoying Ticket To Ride. I think this
      will be a fabulous gateway game.

      After being ignored for several years, Isi and Bus see
      some playtime again.

      Age of Steam continues to frustrate me to no end. I
      go from playing with inspiration to playing at the IQ
      level of a chicken.

      Princes of the Renaissance despite being a keeper for
      me seems to have disappeared off the radar of many.
      Will it have the staying power that Age of Steam seems
      to have?

      Adam & Eva is best played with the variant where you
      deal seven cards to each player instead of six as
      written in the rules.

      1 Play
      10 Days In The USA
      Acquire
      Alexandros
      Ave Caesar
      Babel
      Backgammon
      Big Boss
      Caesar & Cleopatra
      Carcassonne Builders & Traders
      Carcassonne: The Castle
      China Moon
      Chinatown
      Coyote
      Crokinole
      Die Sieben Siegel
      El Caballero
      Finestre Flure
      Five Hundred
      Funkenschlag
      Gargon
      Global Powers
      Hase und Igel
      Haste Worte
      Hector And Achilles
      Liberty
      Lord Of The Rings: The Duel
      Ludoviel
      Magna Grecia
      Metro
      Oh Hell
      Poker (no limit texas hold 'em)
      Ra
      Settlers of Catan: Card Game
      Spades
      Stonehenge
      Taboo
      Terra
      Tin Soldiers
      Union Pacific
      Vinci
      Viva Pamplona
      Wongar
      Wyatt Earp

      Lots of games in this group that have their one yearly
      playing out of the way though they should be played
      more (Wongar and El Cabellero are the prime examples)
      and a few that regularly see play throughout the year
      (Ra, UP, Wyatt Earp, Ave Caesar)

      And there are several that were played for the first
      time that I want to explore more. Alexandros is one
      of those that needs more exploring, but the game
      really hurts my head. In my one playing of it, I had
      the hardest time seeing the board and trying to come
      up with a reasonable move. I can't often be accused
      of slow play and over analyzing, but this game just
      killed me. If this happens during the second play,
      I'll have to avoid it because I was really irritating
      myself.

      Hector & Achilles feels like it could have been part
      of the Kosmos two player line. I felt that the game
      had a fair amount going for it and there was some
      subtle play and depth not immediately apparent. The
      game is also fiddly in the same way that the Settlers
      Card game is fiddly with constant moving of stacks,
      cards and shuffling - mildly annoying, but not overly
      so

      Magna Grecia intrigues me as well, but it is likely to
      be one of those games that only sees play once a year
      despite requiring repeated play to get a good handle
      on it (El Cabellero is the current champion for this
      type of game).

      With the majority of Nurenburg games scheduled to show
      up in Q2, it will be interesting to see how this list
      looks in another 3 months. And how many old favorites
      get pushed aside for the shiny and new.

      All for now,
      Craig

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

    • Matthew Horn
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
        >>Durch Die Wuste - 5

        I think this showed up in your list last yeara and continues to surprise me.
        Not that its a bad game, but that I just don't see you as a DdW kind of guy.

        >>Web of Power

        I am giving WoP a second look now. Spoonts, Nick and I played two quick
        games of it the other day (one after the other) and I am eager to play more.

        >>Einfach Genial

        What the hell is up with Einfach [Everything] these days? What does it mean?

        >>Bus

        Based on the recent web version?

        >>Und Tschuss!

        Im diggin on this one, too. Hard to believe Martin Wallace designed it...
        back in 1997.

        >>Princes of the Renaissance despite being a keeper for
        >>me seems to have disappeared off the radar of many.
        >>Will it have the staying power that Age of Steam seems
        >>to have?

        To me, the game is just dirty. Meaning unclean. The auctions feel contrived.
        The combat feels contrived. And the ratio of time spent versus enjoyment
        derived is out of whack for me.

      • Walter Hunt
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
          On Apr 1, 2004, at 1:43 PM, Matthew Horn wrote:

          > >>Einfach Genial
          >
          > What the hell is up with Einfach [Everything] these days? What does
          > it mean?

          It means "simple". In this form it means "simply".

          Walter H. Hunt
          hotc@...
          http://www.walterhunt.com/

        • W. Eric Martin
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
            Craig Massey wrote:
            > And there are several that were played for the first time that I want
            > to explore more. Alexandros is one of those that needs more
            > exploring, but the game really hurts my head. In my one playing of
            > it, I had the hardest time seeing the board and trying to come up
            > with a reasonable move. I can't often be accused of slow play and
            > over analyzing, but this game just killed me. If this happens during
            > the second play, I'll have to avoid it because I was really
            > irritating myself.

            Our group botched the first playing because I confused several rules.
            The second attempt went much better, although one player called it "an
            exercise in frustration." I really admire the gameplay, though, and
            although choices on moving Alexander are sometimes limited, you can
            usually set up the board and cards to your advantage.

            So far I enjoy Alexandros even more than Clans and Cartagena, both of
            which I'd play at any time. Hope your second play goes smoother....

            Eric-4

            --
            W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net