rules questions about Die Verbotene Stadt

  • Doug Orleans
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2004
      I recently picked up a used copy of Die Verbotene Stadt (The Forbidden
      City) by Alex Randoloph and Johann Rüttinger, published by
      Ravensburger in 1992. The gameplay is akin to Randolph's Ricochet
      Robot, but it's not a realtime game-- players take turns moving the
      robots, er, officials into pavilions at the edges of the board to
      collect articles of clothing for the Emperor's wedding. I was hoping
      to play it tonight, but the rules translation at the Game Cabinet
      leaves me with a number of questions. I'm hoping that someone here is
      familiar enough with the game to help out (and is reading this early
      enough to respond in time...) Failing that, maybe people can just
      read the rules and provide a second opinion for me:
      http://gamecabinet.com/rules/VerbotenStadt.html

      The main thing is, the bluffing rules seem like they could be ditched
      completely and the game would still work. Is this true, or is there
      not much of a game without them? The other parts of the game appeal
      to me more than the bluffing aspect; I do like games with a mixture of
      board-play and bluffing like Clans or Heimlich & Co., but I'd be happy
      to remove the bluffing altogether if it didn't ruin the game.

      If I need to keep the bluffing rules, then, I'm really confused about
      what happens when someone bluffs. First of all, in one place the
      rules say you can move an official into a pavilion when that official
      isn't on your Confidential Bribe Selector, but you just don't get a
      garment; in another place they say you're not allowed to do this at
      all unless you and one other person both have one garment, and then
      you may or may not get a garment depending on whether others call your
      bluff. OK, let's say the second rule holds. Does this mean that in
      order to call someone's bluff you have to have at least one garment,
      or can you always call someone's bluff even if you have nothing to
      lose by doing it?

      Normally when you move an official into a pavilion and someone else
      has the same official on his Confidential Bribe Selector, he gets the
      garment that you would have earned. What if you're bluffing and don't
      get caught? Do you get the normal reward, or does it go to the other
      player? What if you're bluffing and you DO get caught? After you get
      penalized, does other player get the reward or not? What if the other
      player is the one who called your bluff?

      OK, I have one other problem not related to bluffing: my middle-sized
      red die has black dots on three of the six faces, but also one
      pavilion symbol symbol stamped on top of one of the black dot faces.
      According to a photo in the rules, it should have a pavilion on a
      blank face, but I can't tell how many other faces should have dots (2
      or 3). Should I interpret it as just a pavilion without a dot, and
      maybe paint another face with a dot, or should I interpret it as both
      a pavilion (the blue die is rolled) and a black dot (the active
      player's turn ends)?

      Thanks in advance for your help! Any other playing tips (or variants)
      would be appreciated as well.

      --dougo@...