SR: Attika, Clans, Bucket King, Perudo, Electronic Catch Phrase, Siesta, Tongiaki, Phoenix, Landlock.

  • Vitas Povilaitis
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2004
      Hello all!
      It's time for my gaming update. Hope you enjoy reading it.

      This session report can be found at
      http://www.GracefulBoot.com/board_games/20040315.html

      Board Game Session Report for March 15, 2004: Attika, Clans, Bucket King,
      Perudo, Electronic Catch Phrase

      Rob's SOG session. 3-player Attika, 5-player Clans, 6-player Bucket
      King, 6-player Perudo, 2-player Electronic Catch Phrase.

      Mark bragged about his trip to France. To assert his uber-geek status,
      he brought back a bottle of Carcassonne wine, just because it's named
      after the board game.

      Attika

      Players were Mike, Rob, myself. I had the first turn.

      This game of Attika was close between Mike and me. Rob seemed to be
      cut off from victory in either respect during the game.

      I was very close to winning when Mike cut me off and proceeded to win
      himself.

      Afterward, I learned that I could trade to resources for one I needed,
      which I didn't know was true. I could've had a surprisingly quick
      victory had I know that. It's frustrating to miss rules like that, but
      it's the way it goes when I don't actually read and absorb rules on my
      own.

      Overall, This game seems like Cave Troll, in the sense that it's
      purely tactical, acting on random draws each turn. It's a light game
      that seems to have permission to have a longer downtime that a card
      game of the same caliber. I wonder if that comes from respect for the
      designer, or a higher respect for board games than card games, or for
      the fact that I didn't choose the game. :-)

      Game lasted 32 minutes.

      Final scores were:
      * Mike: win
      * Rob: lose
      * Vitas: lose

      Clans

      Players were Chip, Marianne, Mike, Rob, myself. New players to the
      game were: Chip, Marianne, Rob. Marianne had the first turn.

      This game of clans seemed very friendly, with most people sharing
      points wilfully. Rob was playing an aggressive game, but he
      mistakenly thought he'd get more points for isolating huts than he
      did. Because this is scored at the end of the game, he lost while
      thinking he was winning.

      Marianne was sure she was losing, but ended up with a fair score.
      Perhaps people were helping her when she acted disappointed. Even
      though players' colors are secret, it becomes fairly obvious shortly
      into the game. Anyone who tries to cover up their color, seems to do
      badly as they help everyone but themselves (ala, Top Secret Spies.)

      I was most worried about Mike winning, because he seemed to understand
      the game better than the other players. So it helped to know that it
      was his color ahead of mine on the scoring track.

      This is a light game. Except for positioning regions to score higher
      at given times, it is more tactical than strategic. With more players,
      the game board changes a lot before a player gets a turn again.

      In the end, I won.

      Game lasted 24 minutes.

      Final scores were:
      * Chip: 44
      * Marianne: 44
      * Mike: 43
      * Rob: 22
      * Vitas: 46

      Bucket King

      Players were Chip, Marianne, Mike, Mark, Rob, myself. I was a new
      player to the game. Rob had the first turn.

      What can I say? This is a light game, with little in the way of
      strategy.

      The main dilemma is whether to hold on to as many cards as possible
      and losing the smallest number of buckets at a time.

      The final battle between Rob and Mark involved second guessing if the
      other had more of the lead color remaining.

      Game lasted 33 minutes.

      Final scores were:
      * Chip: 4th out
      * Marianne: 1st out
      * Mike: 3rd out
      * Mark: win (by a bucket)
      * Rob: 5th out
      * Vitas: 2nd out

      Perudo

      Players were Chip, Marianne, Mike, Mark, Rob, myself. Marianne was a
      new player to the game. Marianne had the first turn.

      Rob is on a quest to get a nice Liar's Dice bidding board for this
      game, but, for now, we use the simpler printout off BoardGameGeek.com.

      I don't remember much about the game, except that Mike and Mark were
      left, and Mike made a bid that Mark couldn't possibly win at.

      Game lasted 30 minutes.

      Final scores were:
      * Chip: 4th out
      * Marianne: 2nd out
      * Mike: win
      * Mark: 5th out
      * Rob: 1st out
      * Vitas: 3rd out

      Electronic Catch Phrase

      Players were Rob, Chip, Mike, Vitas, Marianne, Mark.

      Poor Marianne felt embarrassed because she didn't know the context of
      many of the catch phrases, especially when she was trying to get the
      team to guess it. Mark did his diplomatic best to reassure her of how
      to play the game in spite of a lack of knowledge about the catch
      phrase.

      In the end, my team lost. The other team seemed to have just the right
      rapport, while we had problems tuning in to the other players.

      Fun was had.

      Game lasted 40 minutes.

      Final scores were:
      * Rob, Chip, Mike: win, win
      * Vitas, Marianne, Mark: lose, lose

      Board Game Session Report for March 18, 2004: Siesta, Tongiaki, Phoenix,
      Landlock

      Danger Planet session. 2-player Siesta, 2-player Tongiaki, 2-player
      Phoenix, 2-player Landlock.

      Well, the usual gang decided to play games without me, so I partnered
      up with Doug for a bunch of two-player games.

      Jeff, our budding game designer, is moving and he treated us to pizza in
      appreciation of all the playtesting we've done.

      Siesta

      Players were Doug, myself. Doug had the first turn.

      In Siesta, being a two-player game, we seemed to mirror the other's
      actions. To my detriment, and in my boredom, I broke the pattern and
      started losing. I wasn't able to catch up to Doug after that.

      Game lasted 23 minutes.

      Final scores were:
      * Doug: 43
      * Vitas: 41

      Tongiaki

      Players were Doug, myself. Doug had the first turn.

      I was hoping there'd be more strategy in this game as a two-player
      game, but no. It's always a matter of keeping islands I already
      occupy, or starting my own voyages.

      I think this game is less fun with two-players because the chaos isn't
      spread to as many players.

      Don't get me wrong, I think the chaotic nature of this game is fun,
      but it's not at all deep.

      Anyways, we ended up with one big island. It's fun to compare the
      patterns that emerge between games.

      Game lasted 60 minutes.

      Final scores were:
      * Doug: 15
      * Vitas: 14

      Phoenix

      Players were Doug, myself. I was a new player to the game. Doug had
      the first turn.

      Phoenix is a highly tactical game. But the randomness in setting up
      may make the game easier to win for one player than the other.

      Doug was surprised when I quickly won the first round with the full
      compliment of points. However, he made up for it the next two rounds.

      Game lasted 35 minutes.

      Final scores were:
      * Doug: 6 + 12 + 12 = 30
      * Vitas: 12 + 4 + 0 = 16

      Landlock

      Players were Doug, myself. New players to the game were: Doug, myself.
      -1 had the first turn.

      The rules are a bit ambiguous, so we later learned we played
      correctly. We only score one path and that's the longest one
      (connecting the most sedges.) Also, an edge tile cannot be replaced by
      a bridge, but where is the edge when it hasn't been defined yet?

      The fact that a player scores a point just for drawing a particular
      tile, betrays how light this game is.

      This is an interesting game, but I doubt it'll be engaging after many
      plays. It's meant for younger gamers.

      Game lasted 60 minutes.

      Final scores were:
      * Doug: 14
      * Vitas: 13

      Vitas Povilaitis
      http://www.GracefulBoot.com/board_games

      Check my What's New page where I collect interesting news and links:
      http://www.GracefulBoot.com/board_games/2004_history.html