SOG SR: 3/8, Sudbury

  • Josh Bluestein
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2004
      We had four people at Rob's last night: Rob, Vitas, Lewis and myself.

      I arrived while Rob and Vitas were finishing a game of...well, I don't
      know what it was. Object is to form a row of four of your color, and
      all the pieces are seemingly randomly magnetically polarized. So, put
      a piece on a particular spot and it flips over to show one color --
      move it to another spot and it shows a different color. Rob won and
      we went on to play something else.

      Since we were waiting for more players, I pulled out Igel Argern and
      we had a three-player game of that. It's a little less chaotic with
      fewer players, but still reasonably fun. Rob won because Vitas didn't
      quite understand the value of dropping opposing pieces into the pits,
      and declined to do so at a crucial point in the game. (Of course, if
      he had done so, it would have probably been Vitas who won instead, so
      I can't say that it made that much difference to me.)

      Lewis had shown up at this point, so we played a game of Magna
      Grecia. Rob and Vitas had played before, Lewis and I were new to it.
      After a fair amount of time spent doing rules explanation, we started
      playing. I'm pleased to say that I found this game both quick and
      interesting to play. Lewis and Rob picked relatively open areas of
      the board and were able to construct good networks. Vitas and I
      played closer to the oracles and became embroiled in a bitter battle
      for control of them. At the end of the game, Vitas and I each had
      three oracles, Rob had two and Lewis had one. Final score put me at
      the top by a three-point margin over Vitas. The game is a lot of fun,
      and it offers a lot of tough choices. One thing I noticed quickly was
      that you almost never seem to be able to connect up everything that you
      want to connect -- even buildign larger cities doesn't ultimately make
      it all that much easier to make a lot of connections. The idea of
      having to spend your points (a fairly scarce resource) in order to
      build cities and found markets is a good one. One bad comment:
      Whoever thought up the color scheme for this game should be beaten. I
      mean, brown, yellow, orange and red? Really.

      Next came a game of Tongiaki. Some of us played this last week and
      enjoyed it, so I wanted to give it another try. Rob tried to get
      control of some big islands early on and was blocked pretty
      effectively, so he took the tactic of forming royal islands on a
      couple of smaller islands. This turned out to be a good strategy, as
      when the game ended, Rob was the winner. I am pretty happy with this
      game -- I think it's light and fun, and the randomness doesn't mean
      that you don't have a lot of opportunity to screw with your
      opponents. Four seems to be a pretty good number for this game as
      well -- I can't really see playing it with fewer, and I'm unsure
      whether it would be as much fun with five or six. Guess we'll have to
      try it sometime...I'm just leery of another Alhambra experience.

      Time was grown short for Vitas and Lewis, so we picked something short
      for a final game. I pulled out Dia de los Muertos, which was new to
      everyone except me (and I haven't played it that much). Lewis and I
      were partnered against Rob and Vitas, and we were able to eke out a
      5-4 victory. I really like this game -- it's clear that there are
      some deep strategies to playing it, and being able to track what
      players have in their hands is fairly important in playing at the end
      of each round. Rob disliked it pretty strongly, claiming that the
      whole game felt very contrived and restrictive. Lewis and Vitas
      didn't express opinions too loudly. I will continue to bring this one
      out on occasion to see if I can find an appreciative audience. I
      think that the quick play and the unique mechanics ought to appeal to
      people...

      After Vitas and Lewis left, Rob and I played a few rounds of
      Backgammon, in which I was taught the sort of lesson that you have to
      stay after school for. Ouch.

      Josh
    • Doug Orleans
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10, 2004
        Josh Bluestein writes:
        > I arrived while Rob and Vitas were finishing a game of...well, I don't
        > know what it was. Object is to form a row of four of your color, and
        > all the pieces are seemingly randomly magnetically polarized. So, put
        > a piece on a particular spot and it flips over to show one color --
        > move it to another spot and it shows a different color. Rob won and
        > we went on to play something else.

        Sounds like Touché: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2763
        I had this as a kid, and loved it... mainly because I was into
        magnets. No idea if I'd still enjoy it as a game; I probably wouldn't
        like the memory element.

        --dougo@...
      • J C Lawrence
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 10, 2004
          On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:40:51 -0500
          Doug Orleans <dougo@...> wrote:

          > Sounds like...

          Partially in reference to which, what was the card-like game I kept
          seeing at UG7 which featured 4 or 5 (?) square coloured cards with small
          bits on them, paid out in a row on the table between the players? I
          think the players also had more normally sized cards in their hands. I
          remember the square cards (roughly 2,5" square) being blue, purple,
          maybe green, maybe red...with an interior artwork that wasn't
          particularly bold (black line border, inner black line frame, something
          in the middle?).

          --
          J C Lawrence
          claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 11, 2004
            --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, J C Lawrence <claw@k...> wrote:
            > Partially in reference to which, what was the card-like game I kept
            > seeing at UG7 which featured 4 or 5 (?) square coloured cards with
            small
            > bits on them, paid out in a row on the table between the players?
            > think the players also had more normally sized cards in their
            hands. I
            > remember the square cards (roughly 2,5" square) being blue, purple,
            > maybe green, maybe red...with an interior artwork that wasn't
            > particularly bold (black line border, inner black line frame,
            something
            > in the middle?).

            Could this be Maya?
          • J C Lawrence
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 11, 2004
              On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:51:10 -0000
              Phil Alberg <albergclan@...> wrote:
              > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, J C Lawrence <claw@k...> wrote:

              >> Partially in reference to which, what was the card-like game I kept
              >> seeing at UG7 which featured 4 or 5 (?) square coloured cards with
              >> small bits on them, paid out in a row on the table between the
              >> players? I think the players also had more normally sized cards in
              >> their hands. I remember the square cards (roughly 2,5" square) being
              >> blue, purple, maybe green, maybe red...with an interior artwork that
              >> wasn't particularly bold (black line border, inner black line frame,
              >> something in the middle?).

              > Could this be Maya?

              Really good guess, but I'm afraid per the pictures at the 'geek, no. In
              the game I saw the central colours were nearly solidly coloured in the
              different colours (blue, purple, etc).

              --
              J C Lawrence
              claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 11, 2004
                >From: J C Lawrence <claw@...>
                >
                > >> Partially in reference to which, what was the card-like game I kept
                > >> seeing at UG7 which featured 4 or 5 (?) square coloured cards with
                > >> small bits on them, paid out in a row on the table between the
                > >> players? I think the players also had more normally sized cards in
                > >> their hands. I remember the square cards (roughly 2,5" square) being
                > >> blue, purple, maybe green, maybe red...with an interior artwork that
                > >> wasn't particularly bold (black line border, inner black line frame,
                > >> something in the middle?).
                >
                > > Could this be Maya?
                >
                >Really good guess, but I'm afraid per the pictures at the 'geek, no. In
                >the game I saw the central colours were nearly solidly coloured in the
                >different colours (blue, purple, etc).

                I was about to suggest Hick Hack (or Pick Picnic) but the cards aren't
                solid. They have a colored border with artwork in the center. But they are
                square, placed in the center of the table and contain square bits.

                Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low as
                $29.95/month. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/
              • J C Lawrence
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 11, 2004
                  On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:30:02 -0500
                  Adam Smiles <adamsmiles@...> wrote:

                  > I was about to suggest Hick Hack (or Pick Picnic) but the cards aren't
                  > solid. They have a colored border with artwork in the center. But
                  > they are square, placed in the center of the table and contain square
                  > bits.

                  Make the borders perhaps three times the thickness of Hick Hack and the
                  art a but less strong and we'd bet getting closer.

                  --
                  J C Lawrence
                  claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 11, 2004
                    Touché, you are correct sir - it was in the pile of games that I've bought
                    at garage sales (I can't resist a game for $1) and it's rare I actually get
                    someone to try one.

                    -Rob

                    > I arrived while Rob and Vitas were finishing a game of...well, I don't
                    > know what it was. Object is to form a row of four of your color, and
                    > all the pieces are seemingly randomly magnetically polarized. So, put
                    > a piece on a particular spot and it flips over to show one color --
                    > move it to another spot and it shows a different color. Rob won and
                    > we went on to play something else.

                    Sounds like Touché: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2763
                    I had this as a kid, and loved it... mainly because I was into
                    magnets. No idea if I'd still enjoy it as a game; I probably wouldn't
                    like the memory element.

                    --dougo@...

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Karl von Laudermann
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 13, 2004

                      I still have a copy of this from when I was a kid, if you'd like to
                      play it again. :-)

                      --
                      Karl J. von Laudermann
                      karlvonl@...