[SR] GSG 03/02

  • Phil Alberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3 1:43 PM
      ATTENDEES (8): Bob, Bill, Don, Vitas, Dave.C, Eric-4, Phil, and
      Mike. We welcomed Vitas to his first GSG session, as he made the
      journey all the way down from Woburn. Hopefully he left with a good
      impression of what real Guy Stuff Gaming is all about. Thanks for
      coming, Vitas!

      Bob was gracious enough to host this session at the last minute, as
      Mark apparently got sick at the thought of us walking all over his
      new floor. Thanks, Bob!

      GAMES PLAYED: BANG!, Schnappchen Jagd, Some Horror Monster game, …Und
      Tschuss x2, Through the Desert, Black Vienna, Traders of Genoa, Web
      of Power.

      Here is a report on games that I played:

      BANG!: Don, Phil, Eric, Bob, Dave, Bill, Vitas
      Eric was anxious to try out his new High Noon expansion, and the rest
      of us varmints obliged. Don, an outlaw, got sent to Boot Hill
      before he got a chance to take a turn. Phil, another outlaw, got
      snuffed by Vitas before his second turn. Eric, the third outlaw, met
      his maker soon thereafter. At this point it didn't look too good for
      the outlaws. But, they had an ace-in-the-hole – Bob, the renegade.
      It was probably a rules misinterpretation on his part (I don't know,
      as I had left the table with the others to start another game with
      Mike), but Bob proceeded to make swiss cheese out of Dave, the
      sheriff, and killed him. This ended the game. As the renegade can
      only win if he's the last man standing, and the sheriff and deputies
      can only win if the sheriff is alive, victory went to the posthumous
      outlaws! WooHOO!!!

      Schnappchen Jagd: Eric, Phil, Don, Mike
      Mike arrived soon after we started BANG!, but thankfully didn't have
      to wait too long to get into a game. Don and Mike were both new to
      this trick-taking game that centers on collecting junk that you like
      while minimizing your intake of bad junk. Eric was the hoover in
      this game, sucking up tricks at an alarming rate. There were several
      times when he would over-trump poor Mike, who couldn't seem to win
      much of anything. When the dust settled, Eric had 23 positive and 16
      negative points, while I had 13 positive and 8 negative points. Eric
      won, 7, 5, -1, -3. I like this game a lot, but I wish I could
      execute an aggressive trick-taking strategy.

      …Und Tschuss: Mike, Eric, Phil, Don
      Eric taught us this Martin Wallace trick-taking gem. Mike did quite
      well, as he seemed to take cards every hand, and wound up with
      several high cards. I think I took just two cards the whole game.
      Mike won by a landslide.

      Black Vienna: Phil, Dave, Eric, Bob
      We were determined to play this game again and hopefully reach a more
      satisfying conclusion. With about five clue cards left Bob made a
      guess that was incorrect. Apparently he mistook the umlaut for
      an "O" at some point. Then Eric, in response to a clue card placed
      before him, made another guess that was incorrect (he got 2 out the
      3). He wanted to guess then, as the clue card was the second in
      front of him that garnered three stones. I was then able to place
      the newly revealed clue card in front of Dave, exposing his "J" card,
      and conclusively determining the conspirators that comprised the
      Black Vienna. So, at least I was satisfied with the conclusion.

      Web of Power: Bob, Eric, Dave, Phil
      I pulled this one out as I had only played it once before, back at
      TotalCon 2003. (btw, did anyone attend TotalCon 2004?) Bob, being
      the expert of this bunch, took us to school, scoring many cloister
      majorities and clustered advisor majorities. I apparently have no
      clue how to proceed in this game, as I wound up about 25 points
      behind everyone else. Still, I like the game, and want to play it
      more just to see if some strategy barks at me.

      …Und Tschuss #2: Dave, Phil, Bob, Eric
      I did much better the second time around, but got skunked by Dave in
      the last hand. The final scores were: 30, 27, 21, 3?

      We should be back at Mark's house next week, that is if the state has
      lifted the quarantine. Thanks again for hosting, Bob!

      - Phil
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4 7:16 AM
        At 09:43 PM 3/3/2004 +0000, Phil Alberg wrote:

        >ATTENDEES (8): Bob, Bill, Don, Vitas, Dave.C, Eric-4, Phil, and
        >Mike. We welcomed Vitas to his first GSG session, as he made the
        >journey all the way down from Woburn. Hopefully he left with a good
        >impression of what real Guy Stuff Gaming is all about. Thanks for
        >coming, Vitas!

        I've only got one thing to say. How could Vitas possibly come away
        with a good impression without me being there? After all I'm the
        peacemaker, the charmer, the hammer, the glue that binds our fellowship
        together.

        Thanks for the SR Phil!

        Mark
      • Bill Romaniecki
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5 5:50 AM
          --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Alberg" <albergclan@c...>
          wrote:

          > BANG!: Don, Phil, Eric, Bob, Dave, Bill, Vitas
          Eric was anxious to try out his new High Noon expansion, and the
          rest of us varmints obliged. Don, an outlaw, got sent to Boot Hill
          before he got a chance to take a turn. Phil, another outlaw, got
          snuffed by Vitas before his second turn. Eric, the third outlaw,
          met his maker soon thereafter. At this point it didn't look too
          good for the outlaws. But, they had an ace-in-the-hole – Bob,
          the
          renegade. It was probably a rules misinterpretation on his part (I
          don't know, as I had left the table with the others to start another
          game with Mike), but Bob proceeded to make swiss cheese out of Dave,
          the sheriff, and killed him. This ended the game. As the renegade
          can only win if he's the last man standing, and the sheriff and
          deputies can only win if the sheriff is alive, victory went to the
          posthumous outlaws! WooHOO!!!

          - Phil

          Anyone who has played with Bob for any length of time knows that a
          once per night bonehead play by Bob is a constant of the universe
          equal to EMC2. As the universe has continued to expand, the time of
          bonehead move has moved from after 11:00 p.m. to much earlier in the
          evening. This one set a new record. The official scorer did award an
          assist to Eric for not having the English rules.

          Haunting House- Vitas, Dave, Mike, Bill.
          Gracious as we are to new comers we asked Vitas to select a game. He
          selected Haunting House. After a few minutes, we recognized the game
          as the type of game that we affectionately refer to as a "Bruce
          Game". We also realized that due to the complete randomness of the
          game that it could go on unitl the end of time. Accordingly, we did
          all we cuold to help someone escape and end the game. I think Dave
          won. I started a log of games played this year. I will not
          compromise the integrity of that list by adding Haunting House to
          it.

          Through The Desert - Vitas, Don Mike. Also selected by Vitas.
          Because of my dislike for games of that type I chose to sit this one
          out. Don won.

          Traders of Genoa - Vitas, Mike Don, Bill. Selected by myself. I had
          played it once when it first was published. The game was new to the
          others. Mike won followed by Vitas, Don and myself. After this
          playing I would rate the game as average at best. The main game
          mechanic of moving the trading tower four times each turn for eight
          turns became quite tedious.

          Mark missed out on a chance to have chicken salad and we missed out
          on the trash talking that his presence seems to generate.

          Bill
        • Mark Edwards
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5 8:02 AM
            At 01:50 PM 3/5/2004 +0000, Bill Romaniecki wrote:
            >Haunting House- Vitas, Dave, Mike, Bill.
            >Gracious as we are to new comers we asked Vitas to select a game. He
            >selected Haunting House. After a few minutes, we recognized the game
            >as the type of game that we affectionately refer to as a "Bruce
            >Game". We also realized that due to the complete randomness of the
            >game that it could go on unitl the end of time. Accordingly, we did
            >all we cuold to help someone escape and end the game. I think Dave
            >won. I started a log of games played this year. I will not
            >compromise the integrity of that list by adding Haunting House to
            >it.

            Is this that DTP game that's got the same mechanics as the old AH game
            Atlantic Storm? If so, Dave's got a copy, and we've played it a couple of
            times now. It's not bad, not great, but decent enough. The theme is good
            and the card play fun. If anything there's not enough interaction between
            the various cards. I don't remember the game dragging for us, but I could
            be misremembering.

            Mark
          • Bill Romaniecki
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5 10:39 AM
              --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Mark Edwards <danger-mouse@c...>
              wrote:
              > At 01:50 PM 3/5/2004 +0000, Bill Romaniecki wrote:
              > >Haunting House- Vitas, Dave, Mike, Bill.
              > >Gracious as we are to new comers we asked Vitas to select a game.
              He
              > >selected Haunting House. After a few minutes, we recognized the
              game
              > >as the type of game that we affectionately refer to as a "Bruce
              > >Game". We also realized that due to the complete randomness of the
              > >game that it could go on unitl the end of time. Accordingly, we
              did
              > >all we cuold to help someone escape and end the game. I think Dave
              > >won. I started a log of games played this year. I will not
              > >compromise the integrity of that list by adding Haunting House to
              > >it.
              >
              > Is this that DTP game that's got the same mechanics as the old
              AH game
              > Atlantic Storm? If so, Dave's got a copy, and we've played it a
              couple of
              > times now. It's not bad, not great, but decent enough. The theme
              is good
              > and the card play fun. If anything there's not enough interaction
              between
              > the various cards. I don't remember the game dragging for us, but
              I could
              > be misremembering.
              >
              > Mark

              The was Horror House. The game was Haunting House a horrible game.
              See Board Game Geek. I just lowered its rating by .4.

              Bill