[SR] MVGA Holliston 2003-12-18

  • brosiuse
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2004
      MVGA meets Thursday nights at 7:00 in the
      east of the center of town.

      We welcome visitors. We'll even
      waive the $3.00 fee for your first visit.

      Roll call: Anton, Paul, Dan, Walt,
      Rich, Eric

      This report is being posted late.

      WYATT EARP (Anton, Paul, Dan, Walt)

      The live steam group was meeting downstairs
      at the Masonic Hall this week, so MVGA moved
      up to the smaller room at the back of the
      building. Three regulars were present at
      7:00, so they played Wyatt Earp while waiting
      for others to show up. Walt showed up after
      one hand, so he joined right in (though
      without the benefit of scoring during the
      first hand.) As long as you're not taking
      the score too seriously, there's no reason
      players can't join or leave halfway through
      this game, since there's no link between one
      hand and another other than stray money left
      on a few outlaws.

      Final scores: Anton 25, Dan 23, Paul 18,
      Walt incomplete.

      Eric's rating: 9.

      INDUSTRIA (Anton, Dan, Walt, Rich)

      Paul had to leave at this point, but Rich arrived to
      keep the count at 4. We moved to Industria, a game
      that made its MVGA debut on December 4; this was our
      second try. Although Rich and Walt had played the
      game before, it was Anton who prevailed.

      Final scores: Anton 45, Rich 42, Walt 41, Dan 27.

      Eric's rating: 8. I've now gotten into two games
      of Industria (neither at MVGA) and I've come in last
      both times. It just adds to the attraction; I'll
      be requesting it for some future Thursday.

      LOGISTICO (Anton, Dan, Rich, Eric)

      At this point we were in for another player swap as
      Walt left to get some rest and Eric arrived late. We
      set up Logistico, another of the new games from Walt's
      massive Adam Spielt order. This is a game of picking
      up and delivering commodities (an alternative title,
      and a more descriptive one, would have been "Boats,
      Planes and Trucks.") The game bears some resemblance
      to Empire Builder, but any demand can be filled by
      any player (leading to race conditions,) you have
      three different kinds of transport, and there's no
      track building (the trucks run on roads that are
      pre-printed on the board.) During a turn, each
      player's boat moves, then each player's plane moves,
      and finally each player's truck moves. You can
      transfer a good from one of your transports to
      another, but it takes a lot of planning to make your
      transports work together efficiently, and the other
      players can mess those plans up.

      The turn order in Logistico is unusual in that one
      player is chosen as the start player, and that
      player goes first in every turn. In our game Rich
      was the start player, so he moved his boat first,
      his plane first and his truck first in each turn.
      Dan was second, Eric was third and Anton was fourth.
      Some reviewers have complained that the start player
      has too much of an advantage, but the designer
      recently posted a message disagreeing with that idea
      (he suggested that more experience would demonstrate
      that the later players have compensating advantages.)

      The game worked smoothly from a practical standpoint.
      We moved around the board shifting goods with our
      boats and trucks (and only occasionally with our
      planes.) Dan made a few more clever plays than the
      rest of us and came out ahead.

      Final scores: Dan 63, Rich 57, Anton 56, Eric 45.

      Eric's rating: 7. This game feels like a puzzle and
      I find myself often wrong-footed. I wish my
      transports moved in a different order, or a demand
      disk is used by another player just before I'm ready
      to deliver it. However, it's still enjoyable, and
      I believe this game will appeal to certain people
      who are less interested in many of the other games
      we play.

      Eric Brosius