Blah, blah, 5&10 list, blah

  • Richard Spoonts
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2004
      My general impression over the past year is that I was
      playing a narrower range of games but playing the ones
      I really enjoy more frequently. I would much rather
      spend time playing something I know I like than trying
      new games purely for the sake of novelty. This
      impression was borne out by my end-of-year stats. 50%
      of my total games played were on only 25 titles, the
      top decile in terms of frequency.

      Total games played = 920 (1009 in 2002)
      Unique games played = 257 (269 in 2002)
      Games new to me = 102 (156 in 2002)

      (Although I played about 9% fewer games this year than
      last, my moviegoing was back up a bit from 98 to 110
      films seen theatrically.)

      90 Crokinole
      33 Carcassonne
      31 Catch Phrase
      31 Puerto Rico
      30 Web of Power
      23 Battle Cry
      16 Can't Stop
      15 Coloretto
      15 Medina
      15 Princes of Florence
      14 Balloon Cup
      14 Wizard
      13 New England
      13 Paris Paris
      12 Password
      11 Battle Line
      11 Foppen
      11 Samurai
      10 Amun-Re
      10 Wyatt Earp

      9: Tutanchamun
      8: 6 Nimmt!, Black Vienna, Fish Eat Fish, Taj Mahal
      7: Ave Caesar, Lost Cities, Pingvinas, Zertz
      6: Dorada, Spades, TransAmerica, Twilight
      5: Attika, Buffalo, Drahtseilakt!, Dschunke, Feurio!,
      Gulo Gulo, Linie 1, Maeuse-Rallye, Odin's Ravens,
      Quoridor, Rosenkoenig, Sternen Himmel

      Last year, I had several games on this list that
      really depressed me, given how little I enjoyed those
      games. In particular, I am thrilled that Werewolf and
      Call My Bluff have been relegated to their rightful
      place among my least played games.

      Games that fell off the list that dismay me are El
      Grande, Caesar and Cleopatra, and Dvonn. Dvonn went
      from 18 to 3 plays, and this must be corrected in the
      future. I played Prince of Florence, my all-time
      favorite game, only half as many times as I did last
      year because I got a little burned out on it and
      avoided it for four or five months. The other big
      fall off that should see more playtime is Dschunke.

      Two games, however, surged in frequency this year,
      namely Crokinole (54 to 90) and Web of Power (15 to
      30), and I am pleased on both counts. Somewhat
      bizarrely, though, I played Crokinole in fewer
      calendar months this year than last.

      Richard

      http://search.yahoo.com/top2003