2003 Year End Report (with 5s and 10s)

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2004
      2003 was another good year, though again the second year in a row with
      a total decline in number of games played. See the end for
      year-on-year comparison. I've posted an even more involved version of
      this report on my web log:
      http://server.boardgamestuff.com:8000/mysite/index.php/2003GamesReport

      556 total games
      275 different games
      130 sessions
      180 different people
      4.2 games per session
      128 new-to-me games
      25% 2-player games
      30% 4-player games

      My 20s, 10s and 5s list is essentially unsurprising. The last entry
      (Trollig) is a children's memory game from Haba that has been a big
      success with 5-year-old relatives.

      20s, 10s and 5s:

      20+ Electronic Catchphrase (36), Light Speed (23)
      10+ Balloon Cup (10), Crokinole (10)
      5+ Coloretto (9), Amun Re (8), Europa Tour/10DiA (8),
      Can't Stop (8), 6 nimmt! (6), Attika (7),
      Finstere Flure (7), King Lui (7), Loopin' Louie (6),
      Puerto Rico (6), Zirkus Flohcati (6), Hick Hack in Gacklewack (5)
      Mause Rallye (5), Paris Paris (5), Password (5), Trollig (5)

      Rather than a single overall top 10, I broke it down this year between
      new games and old games.

      Top 10 New Games of 2003
      ------------------------
      1. Amun Re
      2. Attika
      3. Finstere Flure
      4. Balloon Cup
      5. Europa Tour/10 Days in Africa
      6. Paris Paris
      7. Coloretto
      8. King Lui
      9. Die Fugger
      10. Visual Eyes & New England

      Honorable mentions: Viva il Re!, Feurio, Clans, Pingvinas, Alhambra

      Top 10 Old Games of 2003
      ------------------------
      1. Electronic Catchphrase
      2. Light Speed
      3. Puerto Rico
      4. 6 nimmt!
      5. Crokinole
      6. Can't Stop
      7. Fresh Fish
      8. Password
      9. Princes of Florence
      10. Filthy Rich

      Huber Hapiness Heuristic Top 10
      -------------------------------
      1. Amun Re
      2. Puerto Rico
      3. Electronic Catchphrase
      4. Attika
      5. 6 nimmt!
      6. Finstere Flure
      7. Balloon Cup
      8. RoboRally
      9. Princes of Florence
      10. Crokinole

      Matthew's Month Metric Top 10
      -----------------------------
      Months played
      2003 Ever

      1. Electronic Catchphrase 10 23
      2. Can't Stop 6 18
      3. 6 nimmt! 5 20
      3. Light Speed 5 5
      5. Crokinole 4 15
      5. TransAmerica 4 11
      5. Puerto Rico 4 10
      5. Hick Hack in Gacklewack 4 10
      5. Mause Rallye 4 7
      5. Blokus 4 5
      5. Amun Re 4 4

      Last Year's Hits
      ----------------
      Still hits(5+): Electronic Catchphrase, TransAmerica, Crokinole, Puerto Rico,
      Zirkus Flohcati
      3-4 plays: SpinBall, LOTR:TC, Bluff, For Sale, Battle Line
      2 plays: Knockabout
      1 play: Geister, Lord of the Rings, Industrial Waste,

      Year to Year Trend
      ------------------
      Year Games New Diff Ses Ppl
      1997 ~30
      1998 ~100
      1999 ~150 63
      2000 301 112 141 126 129
      2001 712 172 266 175 165
      2002 650 161 279 163 241
      2003 552 128 272 129 180

      I'm rather impressed to see that despite substantial variation in
      number of games played over the past 3 years (>25% variation), the
      number off different games played has been very consistent.

      Year Metric
      -----------
      I started playing German-style games around '97-'98 then seriously in
      '99, so this covers games that get played pretty much every year.
      Seeral games on the "5 years" list obviously have been played every
      year since I discovered them and some of those in the "4 years" list
      only came out 4 years ago. It pleases me to know there's a solid core
      of 25+ "perennials".

      GAME # OF YEARS MISSING
      PLAYED YEARS

      RoboRally 7 none