Top 2003

  • Bill Romaniecki
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
      Still a wargamer at heart, I lean toward bigger more complicated
      games.

      10. The Hell Game: Legions of lost souls & minor daemons slug it
      out with hellhounds for control of the circles of hell like the
      Sadistic Pleasure Pit & Garden of Unnatural Acts.

      9 Pirates Cove: Simple but fun.

      8. Industria

      7. Carcsssone the Castle

      6. Streets of Stalingrad(L9: Design Group) the most lavishly
      produced wargame ever produced.

      5. Global Power: could go higher but also could sink into the pit of
      hell reserved for really bad games. Our first playing took three
      hours to do two turns due to alot of confusion with the rules.

      4. Princes of the Renaissance

      3. I'm The Boss

      2. Amun Re

      1. Europe Engulfed (GMT): elegant area movement block game of WWII
      in Europe playable in 10 -12 ours.

      Waiting to try: New England, Alhambra, Kogge & Santiago

      Games that are fading fast into the twilight: Game of Thrones, Age
      of Mythology.

      Best nostalgic game buy: wooden boxed version of the original 1959
      version of Risk with real wood armies. Found in Target for $20.

      Most disappointing reprint: Intrige

      Sticker shock: Armies of Oblivion - ASL Axis Minor Module. Four
      mounted maps, six counter sheets, 12 scenarios, overlays and armor
      and ordinace pages $112 list only $84 if preordered.

      Lamest game by a top designer: Fish Eat Fish by Knizia.

      Best Online Gaming Zine: Spielboy; The bare truth about gaming.

      Biggest Personal Turnoff: heavily religiously themed games using the
      mechanics of Settlers and Carcassone.

      Eagerly awaited games for 2004 that most likely will disappoint:
      Francis Tresham's Dutch Revolution game and 7 Ages by ADG.

      Eagerly awaited games from Nuremberg: Hansa, San Juan, Oasis and
      Raja.

      Interesting question for 2004: How much of an impact will the
      closing of the WOTC stores have on game sales?

      Bill Romaniecki
    • Mark Christopher
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2004
        On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Bill Romaniecki wrote:

        > 1. Europe Engulfed (GMT): elegant area movement block game of WWII
        > in Europe playable in 10 -12 ours.

        This just came in for me too a couple of weeks ago, and I can't wait to
        give it a go. Also got Corsairs & Hellcats for Christmas that I'll
        probably try out tonight.