Re: [Unity_Games] Stratego Legends

  • Constantine von Hoffman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      a lot of chrome that added nothing to the basic game except time-consuming
      looking up of what this and that piece did. i liked the old stratego, but
      find it very limited. ymmv.

      At 10:49 AM 1/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:
      >Curious as to what problem you had with Stratego:Legends. I think your opin'
      >is generally the accepted one -- I still haven't found anyone willing to
      >play the damn game -- but I gotta say I love it. I loved the old Stratego,
      >and I think this version is even better . . .

      Constantine

      "There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent."
      -- Mao
    • Susan Dohnim
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        I can see having that reaction on first play, especially if you just used
        one starter set. You can actually get a lot of synergy going between the
        pieces after you've bought two or three sets and done a bit of trading
        (e.g., Elf army, Fungi army, etc.) And, of course, at that point you're not
        looking much up at all.

        I would imagine it's like the difference between two newbies sitting down to
        play Magic for the first time (including all of the painful rules lookups)
        and two non-newbies sitting down to play Magic with decks they've
        constructed, already knowing what all of their cards do.

        Yeah, there's definitely a Magic-esque element to the game, re army
        construction (though thankfully there aren't nearly as many pieces as there
        are cards in Magic) -- if you don't like that, or haven't had the
        opportunity to actually *construct* an army, then it's not the game for you.
        As it is, though, I don't know you've seen all the possibilities yet.

        KWINS

        >From: Constantine von Hoffman <c@...>
        >
        >a lot of chrome that added nothing to the basic game except time-consuming
        >looking up of what this and that piece did. i liked the old stratego, but
        >find it very limited. ymmv.

        Expand your wine savvy � and get some great new recipes � at MSN Wine.
        http://wine.msn.com