Re: [Unity_Games] Stratego Legends

  • Brian Stormont
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      I found I enjoyed Stratego Legends quite a bit when I got to play it -
      enough to buy a few copies and some expansion pieces. Unfortunately, I
      seem to suffer the same problem you describe - lack of other players
      interested in it.

      Brian

      At 10:49 AM 1/1/2004, you wrote:

      >Curious as to what problem you had with Stratego:Legends. I think your opin'
      >is generally the accepted one -- I still haven't found anyone willing to
      >play the damn game -- but I gotta say I love it. I loved the old Stratego,
      >and I think this version is even better . . .
      >
      > >From: Constantine von Hoffman <c@...>
      > >
      > >that's a nominee for my dog of the year award with the caveat that i had a
      > >truly great time playing it because of the people involved. my other
      > >nominees would be stratego:legends and that knizia LOTR game where you all
      > >assist each other.
    • Constantine von Hoffman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        a lot of chrome that added nothing to the basic game except time-consuming
        looking up of what this and that piece did. i liked the old stratego, but
        find it very limited. ymmv.

        At 10:49 AM 1/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:
        >Curious as to what problem you had with Stratego:Legends. I think your opin'
        >is generally the accepted one -- I still haven't found anyone willing to
        >play the damn game -- but I gotta say I love it. I loved the old Stratego,
        >and I think this version is even better . . .

        Constantine

        "There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent."
        -- Mao
      • Susan Dohnim
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
          I can see having that reaction on first play, especially if you just used
          one starter set. You can actually get a lot of synergy going between the
          pieces after you've bought two or three sets and done a bit of trading
          (e.g., Elf army, Fungi army, etc.) And, of course, at that point you're not
          looking much up at all.

          I would imagine it's like the difference between two newbies sitting down to
          play Magic for the first time (including all of the painful rules lookups)
          and two non-newbies sitting down to play Magic with decks they've
          constructed, already knowing what all of their cards do.

          Yeah, there's definitely a Magic-esque element to the game, re army
          construction (though thankfully there aren't nearly as many pieces as there
          are cards in Magic) -- if you don't like that, or haven't had the
          opportunity to actually *construct* an army, then it's not the game for you.
          As it is, though, I don't know you've seen all the possibilities yet.

          KWINS

          >From: Constantine von Hoffman <c@...>
          >
          >a lot of chrome that added nothing to the basic game except time-consuming
          >looking up of what this and that piece did. i liked the old stratego, but
          >find it very limited. ymmv.

          Expand your wine savvy � and get some great new recipes � at MSN Wine.
          http://wine.msn.com