Stratego Legends

  • Susan Dohnim
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      Curious as to what problem you had with Stratego:Legends. I think your opin'
      is generally the accepted one -- I still haven't found anyone willing to
      play the damn game -- but I gotta say I love it. I loved the old Stratego,
      and I think this version is even better . . .

      >From: Constantine von Hoffman <c@...>
      >
      >that's a nominee for my dog of the year award with the caveat that i had a
      >truly great time playing it because of the people involved. my other
      >nominees would be stratego:legends and that knizia LOTR game where you all
      >assist each other.

    • Brian Stormont
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        I found I enjoyed Stratego Legends quite a bit when I got to play it -
        enough to buy a few copies and some expansion pieces. Unfortunately, I
        seem to suffer the same problem you describe - lack of other players
        interested in it.

        Brian

        At 10:49 AM 1/1/2004, you wrote:

        >Curious as to what problem you had with Stratego:Legends. I think your opin'
        >is generally the accepted one -- I still haven't found anyone willing to
        >play the damn game -- but I gotta say I love it. I loved the old Stratego,
        >and I think this version is even better . . .
        >
        > >From: Constantine von Hoffman <c@...>
        > >
        > >that's a nominee for my dog of the year award with the caveat that i had a
        > >truly great time playing it because of the people involved. my other
        > >nominees would be stratego:legends and that knizia LOTR game where you all
        > >assist each other.
      • Constantine von Hoffman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
          a lot of chrome that added nothing to the basic game except time-consuming
          looking up of what this and that piece did. i liked the old stratego, but
          find it very limited. ymmv.

          At 10:49 AM 1/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:
          >Curious as to what problem you had with Stratego:Legends. I think your opin'
          >is generally the accepted one -- I still haven't found anyone willing to
          >play the damn game -- but I gotta say I love it. I loved the old Stratego,
          >and I think this version is even better . . .

          Constantine

          "There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent."
          -- Mao
        • Susan Dohnim
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
            I can see having that reaction on first play, especially if you just used
            one starter set. You can actually get a lot of synergy going between the
            pieces after you've bought two or three sets and done a bit of trading
            (e.g., Elf army, Fungi army, etc.) And, of course, at that point you're not
            looking much up at all.

            I would imagine it's like the difference between two newbies sitting down to
            play Magic for the first time (including all of the painful rules lookups)
            and two non-newbies sitting down to play Magic with decks they've
            constructed, already knowing what all of their cards do.

            Yeah, there's definitely a Magic-esque element to the game, re army
            construction (though thankfully there aren't nearly as many pieces as there
            are cards in Magic) -- if you don't like that, or haven't had the
            opportunity to actually *construct* an army, then it's not the game for you.
            As it is, though, I don't know you've seen all the possibilities yet.

            KWINS

            >From: Constantine von Hoffman <c@...>
            >
            >a lot of chrome that added nothing to the basic game except time-consuming
            >looking up of what this and that piece did. i liked the old stratego, but
            >find it very limited. ymmv.

            Expand your wine savvy � and get some great new recipes � at MSN Wine.
            http://wine.msn.com