Re: [Unity_Games] Gaming Year In Review

  • Constantine von Hoffman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
      that's a nominee for my dog of the year award with the caveat that i had a
      truly great time playing it because of the people involved. my other
      nominees would be stratego:legends and that knizia LOTR game where you all
      assist each other.

      what's the worst new game everyone else played this year past?

      At 07:05 AM 1/1/2004 -0800, craig cribbed:

      >Bohn Hansa - Lots of promise and excitement about
      >Bohnanza as a board game. Fell woefully short of
      >almost everyone's expectations.

      Constantine

      He's throwing a two-hit shutout and he's shaking me off?
      Can you believe that, Charlie?
      Here comes the deuce.
      When you speak of me, speak well.
      -- Kevin Costner in Bull Durham
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
        I'm enjoying all the year end recaps and 5/10 lists from UGers!

        Well, for a third straight year, I didn't keep track (after
        keeping track for 3 years prior to that). But I'm not letting
        that stop me!

        My total games played for 2003 seems less than it was for the
        previous years. I didn't get out to nearly as many game groups
        as I would have liked (and I think I only made 1 very early
        appearance at Mark's GSG which is a shame considering how close
        it is and how I always enjoy it). SSG was the staple group again
        for me (no surprise there) and I missed only 2 weeks in 2003.

        My big spurts of gaming came at the dual 1-week events of the
        Gathering (Spring) and Gulf Games (Summer) where I got in 100+
        games over those 2 weeks (I did track games during those weeks
        for some reason).

        There were 2 all-day Unity Games events in 2003 as well (UG5 in
        January and UG6 in September). I got in a further 25 games over
        those two days.

        As for individual games played... Crokinole tops the list with no
        less than 100 games played in 2003 (the number is likely much,
        much higher) sometimes individually but often with my Croke
        partner Richard (capped by a nice run and eventual championship
        at the 2003 GoF Crokinole tournament).

        Additional games that got 10+ plays include: Catchphrase, Smarty
        Party, Cribbage, Alhambra, Liar's Dice, Wizard, High Society and
        Kings Breakfast.

        Games that got somewhere near 5 plays include: Kalideos, Ave
        Caesar, New England, Web of Power, Amun Re, Edel, Stein & Reich,
        Money, Password, Newlywed Game (I blame Alan Moon for this!), 25K
        Pyramid, Spinball, Coloretto, Showmanager, Mause Rallye (still
        undefeated I think!), LotR boardgame, Members Only, Samurai and
        various forms of Carcassonne (most liked was Carc: Hunters and
        Gatherers).

        daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
      • Konstantinos E. Nikolaidis
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
          Worst new game for me was: Dwarven Dig (with one boring play)

          --
          Spirit Wizard,
          Kostas

          --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Constantine von Hoffman <c@a...>
          wrote:
          > that's a nominee for my dog of the year award with the caveat that
          i had a
          > truly great time playing it because of the people involved. my
          other
          > nominees would be stratego:legends and that knizia LOTR game where
          you all
          > assist each other.
          >
          > what's the worst new game everyone else played this year past?
          >

          > At 07:05 AM 1/1/2004 -0800, craig cribbed:
          >
          > >Bohn Hansa - Lots of promise and excitement about
          > >Bohnanza as a board game. Fell woefully short of
          > >almost everyone's expectations.
          > >

          > Constantine
          >
          > He's throwing a two-hit shutout and he's shaking me off?
          > Can you believe that, Charlie?
          > Here comes the deuce.
          > When you speak of me, speak well.
          > -- Kevin Costner in Bull Durham
        • Doug Orleans
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004

            Constantine von Hoffman writes:
            > that's a nominee for my dog of the year award with the caveat that i had a
            > truly great time playing it because of the people involved.

            I enjoy Bean Trader, although it's maybe a bit too random for its
            apparent weight. It has almost nothing in common with Bohnanza (just
            the beans), which is fine because I don't like Bohnanza. It's more
            like a simple pick-up-and-deliver/economic game.

            > what's the worst new game everyone else played this year past?

            Killer Bunnies and Office Scandal were both pretty bad. Maya,
            Dschunke, and Capitol are good games that I just don't like. Mare
            Nostrum, Medieval, and Game of Thrones were all disappointing, but I
            liked Age of Mythology enough to want to play again.

            --dougo@...