Gaming Year In Review

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
      The Numbers

      Total Games Played: 692
      This is the second year in a row that I played less
      games than the previous year. I don't think this
      constitutes a trend. At least I hope not.

      # of Different Games Played: 262
      While the total number saw a decrease, this ticked up
      a little from last year.

      # of New Games Played: 133
      Another number that saw a drop off. This is natural
      though as each year the pool of potential games that
      are new to me decreases.

      Five & Tens
      11 games hit the 10+ mark and 25 hit 5+. 12 were
      repeats from last year's list. 2 more games had been
      on a past 5&10 list as well.

      Web of Power, Princes of Florence, Spades, Ra, Lost
      Cities, Liar's Dice, Password, Catchphrase and some
      form of Carcassonne all have been on thd 5&10 list at
      least 3 years running saying something about the
      "stickiness" of these games.

      This contrasts with 24 games that were on last years
      5&10 list and didn't make the cut this year. Some of
      these 24 see a few plays every year, but many will
      not. Dshunke and Alles im Eimer are two notable
      examples that didn't hit the table once this year
      after big splashes last year.

      I have no doubt that there will be a few '03 games on
      this list that will struggle to see any table time in
      '04 (cough - Attika - cough). On to the actually
      list.

      10+
      Magic - 25 (See the comments made by Scott H.)
      Ohne Furcht und Adel - 25 (Largly due to a play by web
      version. Campbell, Phil, Adam, Dave F., and
      Constantine made each game an entertaing whine fest)
      Alhambra - 20 (Very worth SDJ winner)
      Puerto Rico - 20 (Lots in the first half of the year,
      nothing since)
      Paris Paris - 19 (Same as Puerto Rico)
      Carcassonne Builders & Traders - 17 (I won't go back
      to basic Carcassonne)
      Spades - 17
      Smarty Party - 16
      Europa Tour - 12
      Princes of Florence - 10
      Ra - 10
      Coloretto - 9
      Liar's Dice - 9
      Ave Caesar - 8
      Catch Phrase - 8
      Web of Power - 8
      Amun Re - 7
      Edel, Stein & Reich - 7
      Five Hundred - 7
      Lost Cities - 7
      Poker - 7
      Transamerica - 7 (not sure how this made the list
      again since I'm not really a fan of this game)
      10 Days In Africa - 6
      Adel Verpflichtet - 6
      Attika - 6 (never to be seen on a 5&10 list again)
      Buffalo - 6
      King's Breakfast - 6
      Password - 6
      Scene It? - 6 (I own Pitt in this game)
      Tichu - 6
      Flowerpower - 5
      Mystery Rummy Case No. 1: Jack The Ripper - 5
      New England - 5
      Settlers of Catan: Card Game - 5
      Top Race - 5

      Best of 2003
      While many of my favorites from the year are
      represented in the 5&10, it isn't an accurate picture
      of what I really enjoyed playing this year.

      Railroad Dice, Kogge, Princes of the Renaissance, and
      Global Power are all meatier games from Essen that I
      found to be very compelling. I doubt that any of them
      will see more than a handful of plays in the next 12
      months because they are meatier games and time and
      biases towards shorter games makes it tough to games
      like this to see a lot of plays.

      Even though Coloretto saw more plays, King's Breakfast
      has a longer shelf life. It has been very successful
      with the non-gaming friends and family members. Both
      Europa Tour and 10 Days In Africa proved popular with
      non-gamers as well.

      I thoroughly enjoyed Alhambra. I doubt I'll play it
      20 times this year, but I hope it shows up on 5&10
      lists in the future.

      Smarty Party was my party game of choice in '03 and I
      doubt this will change this year. There are a few
      standing grudge matches that help this get to the
      table.

      I hope New England has some staying power, mostly so I
      can figure out how to win the damn game. It is now
      squarely on the top of my list of games that I
      couldn't win if my life depended on it. I have no
      idea why this is, but I intend to figure it out.
      Pitt, Richard S., and many others have humbled me.

      Santiago is the one game from one of the big German
      companies to come out of Essen that I really enjoyed.
      I expect this to be hit 5+ plays.

      Fading Into Gaming Oblivion
      I played a ton of new releases this year - 84 '03
      games to be exact. Most of these won't get another
      look. Here are a few that I know won't get my further
      attention.

      Attika - I realize I'm squarely in the minority, but
      the game bores me to tears. I wouldn't be surprised
      if this one vanishes of the radar for a lot of people.
      It certainly will for me.

      Destination Tresor - After a glowing review from Ben
      Baldanza in Counter early in the year, I was very
      eager to try it. Great concept that works for the
      first 30% of the game and then it is dull, repetitive,
      and tedious. One play is enough.

      Bohn Hansa - Lots of promise and excitement about
      Bohnanza as a board game. Fell woefully short of
      almost everyone's expectations.

      Anno 1503 - Like Bohn Hansa, the game was saddled with
      high expectations and couldn't meet them.

      There are a host of others that will just fade away -
      only seeing an occasional play when the game catches
      someone's eye as something on a shelf that hasn't been
      seen in awhile.

      Anyway, that's it for now. Hope to see you at the
      game table in '04.

      Happy New Year
      Craig

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
    • Constantine von Hoffman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
        that's a nominee for my dog of the year award with the caveat that i had a
        truly great time playing it because of the people involved. my other
        nominees would be stratego:legends and that knizia LOTR game where you all
        assist each other.

        what's the worst new game everyone else played this year past?

        At 07:05 AM 1/1/2004 -0800, craig cribbed:

        >Bohn Hansa - Lots of promise and excitement about
        >Bohnanza as a board game. Fell woefully short of
        >almost everyone's expectations.

        Constantine

        He's throwing a two-hit shutout and he's shaking me off?
        Can you believe that, Charlie?
        Here comes the deuce.
        When you speak of me, speak well.
        -- Kevin Costner in Bull Durham
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
          I'm enjoying all the year end recaps and 5/10 lists from UGers!

          Well, for a third straight year, I didn't keep track (after
          keeping track for 3 years prior to that). But I'm not letting
          that stop me!

          My total games played for 2003 seems less than it was for the
          previous years. I didn't get out to nearly as many game groups
          as I would have liked (and I think I only made 1 very early
          appearance at Mark's GSG which is a shame considering how close
          it is and how I always enjoy it). SSG was the staple group again
          for me (no surprise there) and I missed only 2 weeks in 2003.

          My big spurts of gaming came at the dual 1-week events of the
          Gathering (Spring) and Gulf Games (Summer) where I got in 100+
          games over those 2 weeks (I did track games during those weeks
          for some reason).

          There were 2 all-day Unity Games events in 2003 as well (UG5 in
          January and UG6 in September). I got in a further 25 games over
          those two days.

          As for individual games played... Crokinole tops the list with no
          less than 100 games played in 2003 (the number is likely much,
          much higher) sometimes individually but often with my Croke
          partner Richard (capped by a nice run and eventual championship
          at the 2003 GoF Crokinole tournament).

          Additional games that got 10+ plays include: Catchphrase, Smarty
          Party, Cribbage, Alhambra, Liar's Dice, Wizard, High Society and
          Kings Breakfast.

          Games that got somewhere near 5 plays include: Kalideos, Ave
          Caesar, New England, Web of Power, Amun Re, Edel, Stein & Reich,
          Money, Password, Newlywed Game (I blame Alan Moon for this!), 25K
          Pyramid, Spinball, Coloretto, Showmanager, Mause Rallye (still
          undefeated I think!), LotR boardgame, Members Only, Samurai and
          various forms of Carcassonne (most liked was Carc: Hunters and
          Gatherers).

          daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
        • Konstantinos E. Nikolaidis
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
            Worst new game for me was: Dwarven Dig (with one boring play)

            --
            Spirit Wizard,
            Kostas

            --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Constantine von Hoffman <c@a...>
            wrote:
            > that's a nominee for my dog of the year award with the caveat that
            i had a
            > truly great time playing it because of the people involved. my
            other
            > nominees would be stratego:legends and that knizia LOTR game where
            you all
            > assist each other.
            >
            > what's the worst new game everyone else played this year past?
            >

            > At 07:05 AM 1/1/2004 -0800, craig cribbed:
            >
            > >Bohn Hansa - Lots of promise and excitement about
            > >Bohnanza as a board game. Fell woefully short of
            > >almost everyone's expectations.
            > >

            > Constantine
            >
            > He's throwing a two-hit shutout and he's shaking me off?
            > Can you believe that, Charlie?
            > Here comes the deuce.
            > When you speak of me, speak well.
            > -- Kevin Costner in Bull Durham
          • Doug Orleans
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004

              Constantine von Hoffman writes:
              > that's a nominee for my dog of the year award with the caveat that i had a
              > truly great time playing it because of the people involved.

              I enjoy Bean Trader, although it's maybe a bit too random for its
              apparent weight. It has almost nothing in common with Bohnanza (just
              the beans), which is fine because I don't like Bohnanza. It's more
              like a simple pick-up-and-deliver/economic game.

              > what's the worst new game everyone else played this year past?

              Killer Bunnies and Office Scandal were both pretty bad. Maya,
              Dschunke, and Capitol are good games that I just don't like. Mare
              Nostrum, Medieval, and Game of Thrones were all disappointing, but I
              liked Age of Mythology enough to want to play again.

              --dougo@...