[Review] Yummy

  • Tom Vasel
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2003
      I knew absolutely nothing about Yummy (Ravensburger, 1998 –
      Leo Colovini & Dario de Toffoli) when I first saw it at a puzzle and
      games store in a mall. But, since it was a game at a discounted
      price, I felt obliged to pick it up, and see just what sort of card
      game it was. I thought that the card game had two things going for
      it: the name of Colovini, who has produced some rather excellent
      games, and the name of the game – since anything that has to do with
      food usually makes me happy.

      Unfortunately, the end result did not meet my expectations.
      Yummy didn't have anything to do with food, and was an
      unimaginative, simplistic game with only one viable strategy. I
      have found one good use for the game - teaching my three-year-old
      basic card game skills. For this reason, I do play the game often
      with her – but would never bring it out any other time, because it's
      honestly not a good game. Not only would gamers seeking strategy be
      turned off from Yummy, but casual gamers will also find themselves
      disappointed.

      A deck of cards is shuffled, and dealt out to the players,
      as evenly as possible. Each player forms their own specific draw
      pile, and draws the top three cards from it. The cards have the
      numbers three to seven on them, along with a number of smiley faces
      that equal that number. There are 21 "3"'s, 20 "4"'s, 20 "5"'s,
      24 "6"'s, and 21 "7"'s – for a total of 106 cards. One player is
      chosen to go first, and then play proceeds clockwise around the
      table.

      On a turn, a player may place any or all of their cards face
      down on the table. Cards are to be played face up, and if a card of
      the same value is already on the table, all cards of that same value
      must always be placed there. If a "set" is created (number of cards
      in the stack equals the number on the card), the player receives all
      the cards that are in that set, placing them in their scoring pile.
      After playing cards, the person then draws their hand back up to
      three cards, and play proceeds to the next player.

      When one player's draw pile is depleted, the game ends, and
      the player who has the most cards in their score pile is the winner!

      Some comments on the game…

      1.) Components: There isn't much here other than the 106
      cards. Each card has number in all four corners, allowing the cards
      to be held in any position, with smiley faces of a certain color.
      The backs of the cards have a nice pattern of these smiley faces,
      and all the cards are of good quality. The cards (regular playing
      card size) are held in a plastic insert in a nice box – something
      ALL card games should come in. There may not be much here, but the
      components that are here are of the utmost quality.

      2.) Rules: The rules are on a single card. They are very
      simple and short, and even though I normally don't like rules on
      cards – I prefer them on paper, if they are short enough to fit on a
      single card, then I don't mind so much. The rules are extremely
      simple, so simple that my three year old can play the game easily.

      3.) Strategy and Fun Factor: The strategy is really too
      simplistic to have fun. Since you only have three cards in your
      hand, there aren't a lot of choices to make each turn. And luck
      plays a great deal with the cards that you do receive into your
      hand. Basically, you try not to play cards that help other people
      complete sets, and you do your best to complete your own sets.
      That's not really that fun, although my three-year-old enjoys it.

      Yummy is a simple game, and I don't have much to say about it. It's
      probably the least fun card game I've ever played, because it's so
      simple. The strategies are almost nonexistent, and really only
      delight those who don't like to make any decisions. If you're on a
      three-year-old level when it comes to picking games, and Candy Land
      is a current favorite of yours, then I recommend this game for you.
      If you're a normal adult, however, don't touch it.

      Tom Vasel