Greetings!

  • James E Torkelson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 21, 2000
      Hello all,

      I was just referred to this list by Bill Romaniecki, who said that lots
      of local gamers like to arrange for opponents and stuff here. I am
      always in favor of more opponents available, even though life does not
      allow me enough time to play what I've got...

      While most of my two-player gaming is devoted to ASL, my multiplayer
      stuff runs from Fishy through History of the World to Kremlin to
      Merchants of Venus to Settlers/Seafarers of Catan. The odd german game
      that only Bill can read the rules to (<g>) is also fun.

      I also just heard that the Barnes & Noble in Walpole does an open gaming
      night on Monday nights. Is there an interest in this? Also, what are
      the hours of availability? I have a 4.5 year old daughter, and that can
      limit things.
      Jim Torkelson
      "Testosterone is a great equalizer. It turns all men into morons..."
      Rupert Giles, "The Pack" BTVS

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 21, 2000
        James E Torkelson <jtork@...> wrote:

        >I also just heard that the Barnes & Noble in Walpole does an open gaming
        >night on Monday nights. Is there an interest in this? Also, what are
        >the hours of availability? I have a 4.5 year old daughter, and that can
        >limit things.

        Welcome aboard Jim... B&N does indeed hold a open game night. We've
        been going there for almost a year now (actually more than a year, but
        that was before German games - mostly to play Scrabble). This list
        has coordinated activity there for the past few weeks.

        Mostly the people (other than us) play Scrabble or the occasional
        Chess or Checkers. We mainly have been playing German style games.
        But, I suppose on this list you can find an opponent to play nearly
        anything there. The game night is officially 7:00-10 (cafe closing)
        but 6:30 is more typical to start.

        I wonder what B&N will do when 20 gamers show up to inundate the
        place. heheheh.... I suspect they will quickly close down game night
        ;) Poetry night (as fine as that may be) tends to only get a dozen
        people tops and even that looks crowded!!

        dber@...
      • Mark J. Edwards
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 21, 2000
          Welcome aboard Jim (and a lot of this applies to Bob and Allison now also)!

          I lurk on BAASL (Boston Area Advanced Squad Leader for the non-ASL folks) so
          I've at least encountered your emails before. I play ASL about once a month
          with a couple of friends. Currently we're in the middle of an ABTF (A
          Bridge Too Far for the non-ASL folks) campaign game. I've got a couple of
          AARs on our progress somewhere on my web page.

          As Dave replied, we've started to take over Barnes & Nobles game night there
          in Walpole. We usually start around 6:30pm. I also usually game with my
          group down in West Warwick on Wednesdays, but it's a space limited venue.
          Occassionally we play at my house in South Attleboro and when that happens
          I'll post to the list to see if anyone's interested.

          In addition we are trying to coordinate a 1 day gaming event (kinda like a
          mini-con) on October 8th in Holliston. So far we've got the building, the
          date, and a quest to do some German style gaming that day. We've been
          hashing out details just this last week.

          Mark

          --
          Mark Edwards
          dangermouse@...
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 22, 2000
            Oh yeah,

            One thing I forgot to mention is that I live in Foxboro. How are other
            people arranged geographically? Is this only an eastern MA group?

            How does B&N do for table space? Do we take over the food court area?
            I'm just trying to figure out which game to sacrifice for the Gastronomic
            Interphase and the Spill Recrimination Phase...

            Mark, what is the address for your webpage? "A Bridge Too Far" could be
            the subject of an analysis article for the "Dispatches from the Bunker"
            in a few issues, and I would like to get a look at what other people have
            done before starting my own writing.

          • AndAgainMA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 22, 2000
              Like James, I am interesting in where the various people on this list live and want to game.

              Dave has already provided a neat way of sharing this information. If you go to
              http://www.egroups.com/database/Unity_Games
              then you will find the database for this group.

              It currently has only one table (and may never need a second one). Click on this table and you will see at a glance names, hometowns, and other stuff.

              Of course, you only see it for those members that have added a record to the database. So, while you're there, how about taking a minute to click on "Add record" and letting the rest of us know a little about you?

              I've included in the "other stuff" a pointer to one of the pages of my games web site. Others with games sites might like to do likewise.

              Cheers,

              Andrew.
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 22, 2000
                James E Torkelson <jtork@...> wrote:

                >One thing I forgot to mention is that I live in Foxboro.
                >How are other people arranged geographically?

                There are some from RI on the list. There is a growing "contact
                table" so you can see where people are from (only 8 people in the
                table right now, so please consider adding yourself soon):

                http://www.egroups.com/database/Unity_Games

                >How does B&N do for table space?
                >Do we take over the food court area?

                Yes, it's done in the Cafe. There are two bridge-sized tables (for
                those of you who do not play bridge, it's like the size of a standard
                folding card table - maybe 4 feet by 4 feet) and maybe a dozen smaller
                tables. I suspect a dozen gamers would be the comfortable limit there
                but if we took over completely it might hold 20. They have been
                running the weekly game night there for some time (mainly they just
                have a basket of scrabble, monopoly and chess/checkers sets).
                Braintree B&N also does it once per month (at least they used to) and
                it used to be Chess night but they didn't get many people so it
                changed to Scrabble night. I haven't been to Braintree B&N much since
                the Walpole one opened a few years ago.

                >Mark, what is the address for your webpage?

                How could you miss it! You won't believe what these guys have to say.
                Noboby ever expects it! They have many weapons but amongst their...

                dber@...
              • Mark J. Edwards
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 22, 2000
                  Jim,
                  Here it is, go to the AAR section and look around for the ABTF reports.

                  Mark

                  --
                  Mark Edwards
                  dangermouse@...
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
                    My name is Phil Alberg, and I am a new member of the Unity Games
                    Group. I live in Cumberland, RI, and was introduced to this list by
                    Mark Edwards, who wrote to me after seeing my entry in the WGD
                    database on boardgamegeek.

                    I have been an avid gamer since college, where roomates at BU first
                    got me hooked on Acquire and Kingmaker. Although I own more games
                    from Avalon Hill than from any other game company, my tendancies over
                    the past few years have been to play games from German
                    manufacturers. I favor the quick play time and enjoy the constant
                    interaction with other players that these games provide.

                    My current favorites are: Settlers of Catan, El Grande, Modern Art,
                    and Tigris & Euphrates.

                    Games I own that I've not played but want to play: 1830, Circus
                    Minimus, Pampas Railroads, Silverton.

                    Games I do not own that I'm itching to play: Carcassonne, Medici,
                    Roads & Boats, The Princes of Florence.

                    Greatest gaming accomplishment: A tie. 1) Teaching Settlers of Catan
                    to a couple of non-gaming co-workers, and proceeding to play the game
                    every day during lunch for the next year and a half. 2) Cultivating
                    good gamesmanship among my five children.

                    It's exciting to know that there are other gamers in the area who
                    share my passion and adiction. I look forward to the opportunity of
                    meeting some of you face-to-face at future gaming sessions.

                    Thank you,

                    - Phil
                  • Campbell MacInnes
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
                      --- In Unity_Games@y..., albergclan@h... wrote:
                      > My name is Phil Alberg, and I am a new member of the Unity Games
                      > Group. I live in Cumberland, RI, and was introduced to this list
                      by
                      > Mark Edwards, who wrote to me after seeing my entry in the WGD
                      > database on boardgamegeek.

                      Welcome! Always good to see a new face on the list ;) I Can tell from
                      your list of "current favourites" that you and I have similar
                      interests in games. Can't wait to face you across the table ;)

                      I just wanted to point out the Unity Games Coverage Map
                      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Unity_Games/files/Coverage%
                      20Map/coveragemap.htm) as a good resource for learning where most of
                      the game sessions (and some of the other gamers) are located in
                      relation to you. RI isn't on there yet, but its that big blank spot
                      right where you'd think it was ;)

                      Just from a quick glance, I'd say the 4 closest sessions (and all
                      apparently an hour or under in driving time) to you are:

                      1) Guy Stuff Gaming - Mark's group. Definitely the closest and chock
                      full of Rhode Islanders already ;)

                      2) Barnes & Noble night - At the Walpole Mall Barnes & Noble. Open
                      atmosphere and lot's of fun.

                      3) MVGA - Based out of Holliston. They play alot of train and travel
                      games (which were predominant on your "want to play" list) and the
                      longer session time there allows for the occasional game of Roads and
                      Boats, I hear.

                      4) B2O - Out of Bridgewater. This one's about an hour, but that's not
                      so bad on a Friday night, and we close that one up quite late, so its
                      time well spent, in my opinion ;)

                      Welp, just wanted to welcome you again, and hope to see you at a
                      session!

                      --Campbell, uber-pusher of the Coverage Map.
                    • Mark Edwards
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
                        Hiya Phil!

                        We've already corresponded a bit privately but I figured you were
                        dying to hear my two cents... ;-)

                        albergclan@... wrote:

                        > My current favorites are: Settlers of Catan, El Grande, Modern Art,
                        > and Tigris & Euphrates.

                        Good stuff! I especially love Modern Art. I've got a game you've
                        gotta try, it's called Traumfabrik! (I'm the official Traumfabrik
                        pusher around here). But seriously I don't know how many of the German
                        style games you've played, but there are a lot more than you would
                        believe among the many and various collections of folks on this list.

                        > Games I own that I've not played but want to play: 1830, Circus
                        > Minimus, Pampas Railroads, Silverton.

                        As I mentioned privately, one of these days I've gotta play one of
                        these rail games. I have Iron Dragon but haven't cracked the rulebook
                        yet.

                        > Games I do not own that I'm itching to play: Carcassonne, Medici,
                        > Roads & Boats, The Princes of Florence.

                        Medici is another of my favorites, and Carcassonne and Princes of
                        Florence, while not among my favorites, are very fine games and are well
                        liked by many here on the list. I haven't read much about Roads &
                        Boats, I believe a few folks have copies but that it's only been played
                        once or twice among all of UG membership.

                        > Greatest gaming accomplishment: A tie. 1) Teaching Settlers of Catan
                        > to a couple of non-gaming co-workers, and proceeding to play the game
                        > every day during lunch for the next year and a half.

                        Every day?!? A year and a half!? My God man!

                        > 2) Cultivating good gamesmanship among my five children.

                        I've been trying to do the same, but damn if I don't keep losing at
                        Candy Land. Talk about hissy fits! ;-)

                        > It's exciting to know that there are other gamers in the area who
                        > share my passion and adiction. I look forward to the opportunity of
                        > meeting some of you face-to-face at future gaming sessions.

                        Like I mentioned offline, I can't be that far from you here in South
                        Attleboro and of course you're more than welcome to drop by sometime.
                        And don't worry, my bark is worse than my bite. ;0)

                        Mark

                        --
                        Mark Edwards
                        dangermouse@...

                        If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass
                        area, check out Unity Games!