ROLL CALL!

  • Constantine von Hoffman
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 26, 2003
      So what did everyone get?
      i got settlers of the stone age and age of mythology and a simple but not
      bad game called cathedral where you arrange all these 3-d wood buildings on
      a grid and try to block the other guy from doing the same.

      i gave copies of Othello to a bunch of people who have kids my son's age
      (7) and was really astounded that none of them had ever heard of it or
      played it.

      Constantine

      Mein Land hat Frankreich ueberfallen und ich bekam bloss dieses scheiss
      T-shirt.
    • Richard Spoonts
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 26, 2003
        --- Constantine von Hoffman <c@...> wrote:
        > So what did everyone get?
        > i got settlers of the stone age and age of mythology
        > and a simple but not
        > bad game called cathedral where you arrange all
        > these 3-d wood buildings on
        > a grid and try to block the other guy from doing the
        > same.

        Cathedral is a great game, one of my top ten faves.
        It has been around for nearly twenty years and
        continues to be a strong seller. I have the original
        version from Mattel with highly detailed, molded
        plastic buildings.

        Richard

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • Tery Gaudet
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 26, 2003
          Under our tree

          For us:
          Game of Thrones
          Carcassone the Castle
          Bang!
          Settlers of Catan Card Game Expansion Set (I haven't
          heard much about this, but we really like the card
          game itself - any opinions?)
          Clear playing cards
          a few Game Boy Advance games, including Mario Kart and
          Legend of Zelda

          For my mom:
          Smarty Party (she playtested a version while visiting
          a couple years ago, and her church has a trivia game
          night every few months, so we thought this would be a
          good choice)

          For the kids in our family:
          Claymania (Pictionary with clay - a big hit)
          Penguin Pile Up (stacking/balancing game)
          Lego Racers and Lego Bionicle board games
          O Zoo Le Mio (Zoosim)
          Settlers of Catan
          Racko
          Perquackey
          Perfection
          Barbie Says

          Tery

          --- Constantine von Hoffman <c@...> wrote:
          > So what did everyone get?
          > i got settlers of the stone age and age of mythology
          > and a simple but not
          > bad game called cathedral where you arrange all
          > these 3-d wood buildings on
          > a grid and try to block the other guy from doing the
          > same.
          >
          > i gave copies of Othello to a bunch of people who
          > have kids my son's age
          > (7) and was really astounded that none of them had
          > ever heard of it or
          > played it.
          >

          > Constantine
          >
          > Mein Land hat Frankreich ueberfallen und ich bekam
          > bloss dieses scheiss
          > T-shirt.

          http://photos.yahoo.com/
        • Matthew Gray
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 26, 2003
            I second Richard's praise of Cathedral. It's not in my top 10 but it is very good. I'm also told it works well as a "fit all the pieces on the board" game with very young children.

            I do recommend avoiding the Polystone version of this as the colors can be very hard to distinguish. The wood version is very nice though.

            ...Matthew
          • Matthew Gray
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 26, 2003
              I got a great bunch:

              Scarab Lords
              Fish Eat Fish
              VisualEyes
              San Marco
              Crocodile Pool Party
              Thingamajig

              Plus the G8 multiplayer game timer. I've played a couple games with this before and found it a great experience and am looking forward to trying more.

              ...Matthew
            • Phil Alberg
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 26, 2003
                > So what did everyone get?

                For me:
                Crokinole -- Check out:
                http://www.hilinski.net/crokinole/Mount_Doom.jpg
                Magna Grecia
                Vinci
                Bridges of Shangrila
                Wooly Bully
                Hive
                Smarty Party

                For my wife and children:
                LotR Trivia Game
                LotR: The Duel
                LotR Checkers
                Schicki Micki
                Chicken Cha Cha Cha
                Gulo Gulo

                Plus many assorted video games. Santa was very good to us this year.

                - Phil
              • Joseph Czapski
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 27, 2003
                  Happy post-Xmas, folks. No one gave me any games :(. But I gave my
                  Jedi-lovin' son Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit from Avalon Hill/Hasbro. We
                  played it yesterday -- 6 hours! (with breaks, and figuring out the game.)
                  What a fun, fun game! A fine change from cerebral German games.

                  Joe Czapski
                  Arlington, Mass.
                • Tami
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 27, 2003
                    --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Alberg" <albergclan@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > > So what did everyone get?
                    >
                    > For me:
                    > Crokinole -- Check out:
                    > http://www.hilinski.net/crokinole/Mount_Doom.jpg
                    > Magna Grecia
                    > Vinci
                    > Bridges of Shangrila
                    > Wooly Bully
                    > Hive
                    > Smarty Party

                    I think you forgot one... didn't "Santa" also bring you Medieval?

                    Tami
                  • danger4242
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 27, 2003
                      > Fish Eat Fish

                      I would like to hear opinions on this, as I havent' seen much ab0t it
                      it.

                      > Plus the G8 multiplayer game timer. I've played a couple games with
                      this before and found it a great experience and am looking forward to
                      trying more.

                      I played a couple games of "speed Through the Desert" with one of
                      these. Nice to get in two games in under 8 minutes. Very fun. Could
                      be used in just about any game that causes A/P.

                      I got some good stuff...

                      Le Passe-Trappe
                      Nuggets
                      Alexandros
                      And of course classic arcade games for the xbox

                    • Matthew Gray
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 27, 2003
                        I played Fish Eat Fish yesterday and liked it a lot, as did my father-in-law. Carrie was less enthused, as I think it had too much of a cutthroat aspect. It has the simultaneous card play mechanic (most like lotr:tc) which I like a lot. The bits are awesome but the art is awful.

                        With the G8, I played an amazing 30 minute game of Princes. Some games won't work we'll, since there's lots of "shared" time. I look forward to trying speed Medina and E&T, though conflicts may have to be resolved on pause.

                        ...Matthew
                      • Adam Smiles
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 27, 2003
                          >From: Constantine von Hoffman <c@...>
                          >
                          >So what did everyone get?

                          Games I received:

                          Carcassonne: The Castle
                          LOTR: The Confrontation
                          Maya
                          Aladdin's Dragons

                          Games I gave as gifts:

                          Balloon Cup
                          Carcassonne: King and Scout
                          Gulo Gulo
                          Cap'n Clever
                          Pasta Pasta
                          10 Days in Africa

                          People I advised on purchasing games for loved ones:

                          Jennifer von Hoffman

                          I hope everyone had a good holiday.

                          -Adam

                          providers now. https://broadband.msn.com
                        • Constantine von Hoffman
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 27, 2003
                            bless your pointy little head.

                            At 05:55 PM 12/27/2003 -0500, Adam scrawled:
                            >People I advised on purchasing games for loved ones:
                            >
                            >Jennifer von Hoffman
                            >
                            >I hope everyone had a good holiday.
                            >
                            >-Adam

                            Constantine

                            "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed [and
                            hence clamorous to be led to safety] by menacing it with an endless series
                            of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
                            -- H.L. Mencken
                          • mrhaleon
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 27, 2003
                              Hey! I advised too! When Adam said "this is what you should do" I
                              nodded a bunch and said "That's what the man said, that's what he
                              said, uh-huh!"

                              --Campbell

                              --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Constantine von Hoffman <c@a...>
                              wrote:
                              > bless your pointy little head.
                              >
                              > At 05:55 PM 12/27/2003 -0500, Adam scrawled:
                              > >People I advised on purchasing games for loved ones:
                              > >
                              > >Jennifer von Hoffman

                            • W. Eric Martin
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 27, 2003
                                > > Fish Eat Fish
                                >
                                > I would like to hear opinions on this, as I haven't seen much about it.

                                Here's most of my session report from the Geek

                                This Knizia game from Out of the Box has truly hideous artwork. Gad, I'm
                                sure 10,000 artists could have drawn better fish and octopi than whoever
                                did the work here. The fish pieces are colorful and well done, but the
                                cards feel thin and feature more ugly art.

                                The rules of play are simple, but it's hard to see after one play
                                whether there's enough here to work with. I could see it growing old
                                quickly, but it's something you could play in 10-15 minutes between
                                games to clear your mind.

                                [Details of that game session]

                                All in all, an okay game, but one I won't pick up unless Barnes & Noble
                                has deep discounted copies after Christmas.

                                Eric

                                --
                                W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
                                * Fight intrusive advertising! - http://www.BadAds.org *
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 28, 2003
                                  well, bless your even pointier and littler head.

                                  At 03:44 AM 12/28/2003 +0000, campbell cried:
                                  >Hey! I advised too! When Adam said "this is what you should do" I
                                  >nodded a bunch and said "That's what the man said, that's what he
                                  >said, uh-huh!"
                                  >
                                  >--Campbell
                                  >
                                  >--- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Constantine von Hoffman <c@a...>
                                  >wrote:
                                  > > bless your pointy little head.
                                  > >
                                  > > At 05:55 PM 12/27/2003 -0500, Adam scrawled:
                                  > > >People I advised on purchasing games for loved ones:
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Jennifer von Hoffman

                                  Constantine

                                  "All decent men are ashamed of the government they live under."
                                  --H.L. Mencken
                                • ScottH.
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 28, 2003
                                    wrote:
                                    > So what did everyone get?
                                    I could not answer until today, because I didn't know.
                                    My mother-in-law gave me a $50.00 gift certificate to Scholars in
                                    Bridgewater. I finally got a chance to get there today.
                                    I picked up Wildlife (Uberplay) and Basari (Out of Box). I even got
                                    change back, thanks to Dave T's discount for Unity gamers!
                                    My daughter also gave me a gag game of extreme rock climbing. You
                                    must manipulate your little climber up the face of a 2 foot high wall.
                                    The climbers have magnets in their hands and you make them climb by
                                    using magnets on your fingers (put there with an adjustable attachment
                                    device). Your fingers are behind the wall (plastic, molded to look
                                    like a rock face). It is much harder to do than I thought it would be.
                                    I'll practice and then bring it to a game group ;-)
                                    ScottH.
                                  • Mike Lavoie
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 28, 2003
                                      Let's see here....

                                      I recieved:

                                      Fish Eat Fish (Tami)
                                      Formula Motor Racing (secret Santa)
                                      Zombies (wife)
                                      Who Stole Ed's Pants? (Daemon- my oldest son)
                                      Union Pacific (myself)
                                      San Marco (myself)

                                      I gave:

                                      Star Wars Epic Duels (Daemon)
                                      Risk, LoTR Trilogy (Daemon)
                                      Lost Cities (Wife)

                                      All in all a very good Christmas!
                                    • Craig B
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 28, 2003
                                        I'm trying to do these purely from memory, since my computer is on a
                                        different floor than the games...

                                        I got:

                                        Giganten
                                        I'm the Boss
                                        Sequence
                                        Thieves of Baghdad
                                        Executive Barrell of Monkeys
                                        a keychain version of Scattergories

                                        Also got the PS2 game Manhunt
                                        and Seamonkeys! ;)

                                        =====
                                        Craig Brooks
                                        Cheapass Demo Monkey / MIB #0411 email: gilby123@...
                                        http://www.angelfire.com/ma/gilby123/index.html

                                        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                                        http://companion.yahoo.com/
                                      • Brian A Joughin
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 28, 2003
                                          And, now that I've been to all the Xmas parties I'm going to:
                                          Industria
                                          Attika
                                          Finstere Flure
                                          New England
                                          Adel Verpflichtet

                                          And also for PC
                                          XIII and Thief II.
                                          And "Rygar" for PS2.

                                          And if I've forgotten something, I'm a bad person.