Re: [Unity_Games] Re: Rhode Island gaming

  • J C Lawrence
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2003
      On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 04:14:06 -0000
      madhouseri <madhouseri@...> wrote:

      > Well I bought Vinci tonight and after spending sometime getting
      > familiar with the rules I am REALLY looking forward to playing this
      > game! The mechanics are very abstract but the random civilizations add
      > alot of theme and replay value. At least that's my first impression
      > from the rules. I'll find out if it lives up to my expectations
      > tomorrow.

      I've played Vinci a bit at GiP. It is a good game and I really like the
      way empire invade/decline mechanic is handled (makes me think of
      bacterial blobs growing in petri dishes), but the game has bad analysis
      paralysis and king maker problems in the end game. I suggest reading
      the discussion and suggested variants at boardgamegeek. I've not tried
      them yet, but a few seem like they'd help in interesting ways.

      > I'll be at Galaxy Games on Friday afternoon if anyone would like to
      > get together for a game. I'll have Puerto Rico, Vinci and A Game of
      > Thrones with me. You shouldn't have any problems finding me, I'm the
      > guy with the broken foot ;)

      Ahh, I've already agreed to be at the GameKeeper in Providence on
      Friday. I'll have my normal game boxes with me (I normally carry about
      40 games about with me in the car -- one of the side-effects of living
      the transient contractor's life). If I get time I'll try and drop by
      Warwick, but I wouldn't bet on making it.

      > Hope I can meet a few of you soon, Mike

      Ditto.

      --
      J C Lawrence