[OT] new england cellular phone carriers

  • Matthew Horn
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 26, 2003
      Way off topic, but this group is a perfect place to ask about cell phones/providers in the New England area. It's got nerds. It's got geeks. And it's got Constantine with his phone holster.

      What's a good service to go with?

      Background: I have Cingular now. It's been fine but I want a picture phone. Imagine the possibilities of parsing the emails and dropping images of game sessions into a live web site. Cingular wants $250 for the phone and a two year contract. They won't diddle with the price because I am an existing customer. I look around and see great (possibly better picture phones) that can be had for half that money, but I hear bad things about ATT Wireless and Sprint PCS.

      Can anyone allay my fears of ATTW and SPCS? Are there other carriers to consider?

      Peace.

      --------

      Matthew J. Horn
      Sr. Technical Writer
      < m a c r o m e d i a >
    • elkind_rob@emc.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 26, 2003
        I like my nextel service. Good coverage and you can put the sim in a GSM
        phone for travel.

        -Rob

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 26, 2003
          ] What's a good service to go with?

          Help I can lend:

          I had Sprint for 1999-2001. The service was terrible; lots of
          dropped calls, static lines, etc. I dropped Sprint at the time
          because of their lousy service. (This was all in or around
          Boston, also, so there really was no excuse.)

          I switched to Verizon, and I've been happy. By all reports they
          have the best coverage in New England. I don't know about their
          line of phones though -- I don't have any fancy camera
          doohickeys.

          Help I can ask for:

          I'm potentially considering a T-mobile Sidekick, but I'm
          wondering if anyone has experience with T-mobile and how good
          their service is. It's my understanding that they really only
          cover metropolitan areas right now, but is the coverage good in
          those locations? i.e. always a clear signal, no dropped calls?
          I really like that phone, but what's the point of having a
          phone you can't talk on?

          Thanks in advance.
          John
        • Steve Meuse
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 26, 2003
            At 01:45 PM 11/26/03 -0500, John P. Cataldo wrote:

            >I'm potentially considering a T-mobile Sidekick, but I'm
            >wondering if anyone has experience with T-mobile and how good
            >their service is. It's my understanding that they really only
            >cover metropolitan areas right now, but is the coverage good in
            >those locations? i.e. always a clear signal, no dropped calls?
            >I really like that phone, but what's the point of having a
            >phone you can't talk on?

            I've had T-mobile (Voicestream) for a couple of years now. There are a few
            holes in their coverage, but overall I've been very happy with them. I used
            them because they were one of the first US carriers to use GSM and at the
            time I was doing a lot of international travel.

            Take a look at their coverage maps on the web, they are mostly accurate.

            -Steve
          • Bill Kaplan
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 26, 2003
              I've got Cingular as well, but it's my understanding that Verizon is
              the gold standard in cell phone service. I tried AT&T briefly but
              didn't like their customer service (could never get a rep on the
              phone, they didn't let me check my minutes used, I had to be vigilant
              about roaming charges). I hear that Sprint's improved a lot, but
              they used to have terrible coverage, and they still rank lowest in
              customer service in every survey I've seen.

              Before you make any decisions, I'd suggest calling Cingular's
              customer service (not the guys in the storefronts) and haggling with
              them about the new phone. Tell them you'll take your number and move
              to Verizon if they don't cut you a deal on a new phone. Ask to talk
              to a supervisor if they claim they can't help you. I found that they
              were willing to bend when I was persistent. They'll lock you into a
              long-term contract, but they'll probably match the price they'd offer
              a new customer.

              Bill

              >Way off topic, but this group is a perfect place to ask about cell
              >phones/providers in the New England area. It's got nerds. It's got
              >geeks. And it's got Constantine with his phone holster.
              >
              >What's a good service to go with?
              >
              >Background: I have Cingular now. It's been fine but I want a picture
              >phone. Imagine the possibilities of parsing the emails and dropping
              >images of game sessions into a live web site. Cingular wants $250
              >for the phone and a two year contract. They won't diddle with the
              >price because I am an existing customer. I look around and see great
              >(possibly better picture phones) that can be had for half that
              >money, but I hear bad things about ATT Wireless and Sprint PCS.
              >
              >Can anyone allay my fears of ATTW and SPCS? Are there other carriers
              >to consider?
              >
              >Peace.
              >
              >--------
              >
              >Matthew J. Horn
              >Sr. Technical Writer
              >< m a c r o m e d i a >

            • mrhaleon
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 26, 2003
                Nextel is good inside the 95 loop (and just outside, like I am), but
                I find the coverage gets extremely spotty outside that area,
                especially west and north (not sure about south, I always had good
                coverage at B2O though).

                This may be a concern for you, Matt, as you're practically on
                Nantucket where you are...

                The walky-talky feature is neat, but kinda pointless unless you're
                dealing with alot of people who also have Nextels...

                --Campbell

                unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • mrhaleon
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 26, 2003
                  I also had a Sprint phone from around 2000-2002, and found much the
                  same thing. Sudden drops, even in good signal areas, plenty of poor
                  coverage even close in to Boston, etc.

                  I also got NO service to the south at B2O, which is as close to
                  Plymouth as I recall using it.

                  It could have improved since then, but who knows...

                  --Campbell

                  --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "John P. Cataldo" <cataldoj@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > ] What's a good service to go with?
                  >
                  > Help I can lend:
                  >
                  > I had Sprint for 1999-2001. The service was terrible; lots of
                  > dropped calls, static lines, etc. I dropped Sprint at the time
                  > because of their lousy service. (This was all in or around
                  > Boston, also, so there really was no excuse.)
                  >
                  > I switched to Verizon, and I've been happy. By all reports they
                  > have the best coverage in New England. I don't know about their
                  > line of phones though -- I don't have any fancy camera
                  > doohickeys.
                  >
                  > Help I can ask for:
                  >
                  > I'm potentially considering a T-mobile Sidekick, but I'm
                  > wondering if anyone has experience with T-mobile and how good
                  > their service is. It's my understanding that they really only
                  > cover metropolitan areas right now, but is the coverage good in
                  > those locations? i.e. always a clear signal, no dropped calls?
                  > I really like that phone, but what's the point of having a
                  > phone you can't talk on?
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance.
                  > John
                • Bill Kaplan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 26, 2003
                    T-Mobile's coverage is decent in and around Boston. I've got a
                    Cingular GSM phone that uses the T-Mobile/Voicestream towers, and
                    I've been reasonably satisfied with the coverage. It won't be as
                    good as Verizon's, though, because they do have fewer towers and
                    because the GSM signal is weaker than a CDMA signal and can't
                    penetrate buildings as well. On the bright side, that also means
                    you'll be pumping less radiation directly into your brain. Make sure
                    you can return the phone and cancel the contract if it doesn't work
                    in the places you're likely to use it most (i.e. your home and
                    office).

                    Bill

                    >] What's a good service to go with?
                    >
                    >Help I can lend:
                    >
                    >I had Sprint for 1999-2001. The service was terrible; lots of
                    >dropped calls, static lines, etc. I dropped Sprint at the time
                    >because of their lousy service. (This was all in or around
                    >Boston, also, so there really was no excuse.)
                    >
                    >I switched to Verizon, and I've been happy. By all reports they
                    >have the best coverage in New England. I don't know about their
                    >line of phones though -- I don't have any fancy camera
                    >doohickeys.
                    >
                    >Help I can ask for:
                    >
                    >I'm potentially considering a T-mobile Sidekick, but I'm
                    >wondering if anyone has experience with T-mobile and how good
                    >their service is. It's my understanding that they really only
                    >cover metropolitan areas right now, but is the coverage good in
                    >those locations? i.e. always a clear signal, no dropped calls?
                    >I really like that phone, but what's the point of having a
                    >phone you can't talk on?
                    >
                    >Thanks in advance.
                    >John

                  • Eric Shultz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 26, 2003
                      --- elkind_rob@... wrote:
                      > Way off topic, but this group is a perfect place to
                      > ask about cell
                      > phones/providers in the New England area. It's got
                      > nerds. It's got geeks.
                      > And it's got Constantine with his phone holster.

                      Well, when I think of cell phones, I think of a string
                      with a cup on each end. Then I imagine myself
                      wrapping it around the necks of everyone with some
                      annoying digital tune blasting out of their pockets
                      every fifteen minutes.

                      I mean, I'm at the B&N Cafe, slamming dice down on a
                      table and yelling about how David Hansel is a no good
                      filthy liar every time he bids, and I've got to hear
                      some nasty phone. Put it on vibrate! If you're
                      expressing your personality through the ring of your
                      phone, you've got issues.

                      Eric

                      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                    • Brian
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 27, 2003
                        I'll drop my 2 cents into this one... I've got
                        T-Mobile, and have had them since they were Omnipoint,
                        going on 5 years now.
                        Their service is outstanding in Boston and immediate
                        suburbs and has shown steady improvement outside the
                        city. Bridgewater's something of a "Black Hole" for
                        cell signals, but within the last year or so I've seen
                        service at my house go from a mere one bar to 4,
                        sometimes 5 out of 5 bars.
                        One of the attractive Geek features is the ability to
                        take the SIM out of the phone and put it into any
                        other GSM phone and have it work. Makes upgrading
                        phones via Ebay an attractive prospect...and means you
                        can sell your old ones there too.
                        The Sidekick (aka the Danger HipTop) is a very neat
                        device, there's only one major drawback..since the
                        screen is hinged, it's a natural weak point, and I
                        have heard of a rare few having issues with the screen
                        breaking off or the hinge getting stuck. If you're
                        gentle on electronics, probably not a huge issue.
                        Also, you'll almost have to use a headset with the
                        phone. The design is not very useful otherwise. (In
                        fact, the latest version may require a headset, I
                        forget.)

                        Brian

                        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                        http://companion.yahoo.com/
                      • Constantine von Hoffman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 27, 2003
                          i have verizon and have it's coverage spotty at Terry E.'s, B20, & lobstertrap.

                          At 10:34 AM 11/26/2003 -0800, you wrote:
                          >Way off topic, but this group is a perfect place to ask about cell
                          >phones/providers in the New England area. It's got nerds. It's got geeks.
                          >And it's got Constantine with his phone holster.
                          >
                          >What's a good service to go with?
                          >
                          >Background: I have Cingular now. It's been fine but I want a picture
                          >phone. Imagine the possibilities of parsing the emails and dropping images
                          >of game sessions into a live web site. Cingular wants $250 for the phone
                          >and a two year contract. They won't diddle with the price because I am an
                          >existing customer. I look around and see great (possibly better picture
                          >phones) that can be had for half that money, but I hear bad things about
                          >ATT Wireless and Sprint PCS.
                          >
                          >Can anyone allay my fears of ATTW and SPCS? Are there other carriers to
                          >consider?
                          >
                          >Peace.
                          >
                          >---

                          Constantine

                          Keep yer hands of my holster, bub.
                        • Craig B
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 1, 2003
                            mrhaleon <haleon@...> wrote:
                            > I also had a Sprint phone from around 2000-2002, and found much the
                            > same thing. Sudden drops, even in good signal areas, plenty of poor
                            > coverage even close in to Boston, etc.
                            >
                            > I also got NO service to the south at B2O, which is as close to
                            > Plymouth as I recall using it.
                            >
                            > It could have improved since then, but who knows...

                            Nope, not really.

                            Funny story, though. Had a call from a number I didn't recognize one
                            night about a month ago. I answered it and it turned out to be a
                            person from Sprint asking how I felt my service was. I started
                            telling him that my service is widely erratic, going from 4-5 bars of
                            service (on my phone average to very good) down to one or none
                            (essentially, no service) and that this frequently happened while I
                            was talking to people. The guy started to say something, but was cut
                            off about halfway through his sentence when my phone dropped his
                            call. He calls back and I explain to him that he just experienced
                            what normally happens. He claims it must be an anomoly and, as I
                            start to explain to him it's not, my phone drops his call again.

                            He didn't call back again. ;)

                            =====
                            Craig Brooks
                            Cheapass Demo Monkey / MIB #0411 email: gilby123@...