Re: [Unity_Games] [SR] GSG, 9/30: Age of Steam, Breaking Away

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
      At 06:11 PM 10/1/2003 -0400, W. Eric Martin wrote:

      >Age of Steam
      >
      >Matt 79
      >Mark 75
      >Bill 59
      >Eric 21

      And I would've won too, but for the father throwing himself under the
      bus for the son!

      >Breaking Away
      >
      >Bill 68
      >Eric 53
      >Matt 25
      >Mark 9

      What the?!?! You recorded these scores?!?

      >Bill says he's owned this game for five years, yet this was his first
      >time playing. Geez, how many games can a guy own? (I'm currently
      >testing the limits through massive purchases online.)

      Bill's got serious mental problems (see above).

      >Despite the cheesy components, Breaking Away turned out to be extremely
      >enjoyable and (to this non-racer) an accurate representation of cycle
      >racing. Each player has a team of four cyclists, each of which has a
      >certain number of points allocated to three or four columns on a score
      >sheet. All cyclists line up at the starting line, then players take
      >turns choosing one of the values for each of their cyclists. <snip>

      I thoroughly enjoyed it as well, despite the 9 point showing. The
      movement/replenishment mechanic is innovative and it seemed to jibe well
      with the cycling theme.

      >Breaking Away is from Fiendish Games, and from looking at the Web site
      >(http://www.fbgames.co.uk/games/ba/baway.htm), apparently the company
      >owner makes them all by hand. You could recreate everything yourself
      >for just a couple of dollars, or you could reward this guy for
      >persevering with his efforts.

      I've already emailed them to see if they have any copies remaining for
      sale. I'll let you know what I find out.

      In the meantime I think the game would translate well using the
      Umreifenbreite (sp?) board and pieces. Of course you'd need to tweak the
      rules a bit. Then again we can just create our own Breaking Away board,
      all we need is a working knowledge of those things known as "arcs".

      >P.S. So, where we setting up shop next week?

      Good question. I'll see if there are any volunteers to host.

      Thanks for the report Eric!

      Mark

      I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible
      Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR
      PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! -
      Homer Simpson
    • Mark J. Edwards
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
        At 06:22 PM 10/1/2003 -0400, Mark Edwards wrote:
        > >Breaking Away is from Fiendish Games, and from looking at the Web site
        > >(http://www.fbgames.co.uk/games/ba/baway.htm), apparently the company
        > >owner makes them all by hand. You could recreate everything yourself
        > >for just a couple of dollars, or you could reward this guy for
        > >persevering with his efforts.
        >
        > I've already emailed them to see if they have any copies remaining for
        >sale. I'll let you know what I find out.

        Just an update to this. They do indeed have copies still available and
        one of them is on the way to me.

        Mark

        "Just look at him. Square. The shape of *EVIL*" - Plankton
      • Bill Romaniecki
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
          --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Mark Edwards <danger-mouse@c...>
          wrote:

          > And I would've won too, but for the father throwing himself
          under the bus for the son!

          My goal was to finish ahead of Mark. Always much better than
          winning.

          > >Breaking Away
          > >
          > >Bill 68
          > >Eric 53
          > >Matt 25
          > >Mark 9
          >
          > What the?!?! You recorded these scores?!?

          Mark! Cheer Up! Its okay that you are not another Lance Armstrong!!!

          > >Bill says he's owned this game for five years, yet this was his
          first time playing. Geez, how many games can a guy own?

          I gave away about 25 games recently and it does not seem to have
          made a dent in the collection.

          > Bill's got serious mental problems (see above).

          They were cured by the shock I got from your invisible fence. Woof!
          Woof! Can we order out from Petco next time?

          > Then again we can just create our own Breaking Away board,
          > all we need is a working knowledge of those things known as "arcs".

          One thing we didn't do right was the sprint points. A rider has to
          cross the line to get them.

          Nobody noticed but all the same numbered riders had the same color
          sticker on their wheel. It would be nice to blow the board up a bit
          and make set of riders by scanning and modifing the Demarrage
          cyclists.

          >Good stuff -- bring it again next week Bill, and
          we'll have another go at it.

          Alas, I will be unavailable for the next two weeks. Leaving next
          Tuesday fo a deep canyon in Utah to avoid hearing the collective
          wails and sobs of Red Sox dreamers. Unfortunately Kim etal are self
          distructing ahead of schedule so I may get to hear them anyway.

          Bill

          Mark Saturday October 27, 2018 on your calendar - 100th Anniversary
          Party of last Red Sox World Series Win. Special Guests: Bernie
          Carbo & Mighty Joe Young, Bill Lee(and his Don Zimmer Rookie Card),
          Carl Everret (noted archeologist). Hear Dan Douquette sing "Stand By
          Your Man" to Jimmy Willams. Mo Vaughn and the girls from the Foxy
          Lady will reenact the Nuns Day debacle. Special guest appearnce by
          Ted Williams' Head.