SR: Unity Games VI: Modern Art, Transamerica, etc.

  • flyingsheep
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2003
      Session Report: September 27, 2003
      Games Played: Lost Cities, Modern Art, The Penguin Ultimatum, Transamerica
      Gamers: Chip, Sara, Walter, Lewis, Kyle, Josh, Ben, Andrew

      Thanks for Dave and crew for organizing UGVI! It was a lot of fun (:

      LOST CITIES (0:57)
      Sara: -17, 24, 173
      Chip: 24, 27, 137

      Sara and I played three quick rounds of Lost Cities to start things off. I really like this game, but I find the cards too big to shuffle comfortably. *shrug*
      Sara quickly got the hang of this game after the first round, and beat me soundly by the last round.

      MODERN ART (1:10 + 0:16 rules/setup)
      Kyle: 510
      Walter: 353
      Chip: 340
      Lewis: 331
      Sara: 248

      I played Modern Art for the first time last winter, so I jumped at the chance to play it again. Kyle expressed some reservations about playing with so many newbies, but he didn't complain too loudly when he won (:
      I mispriced a few of my auctions and ended up buying more of my own pieces then I would have liked. We played with the variant that double-auction cards were evenly (albeit randomly) distributed among the players. I should have done better, as I was fortunate enough to receive the extra double card.
      I like this game, although I've still got a lot to learn about it. I'd play it again.

      PENGUIN ULTIMATUM (0:23 + 0:10 rules/setup)
      Chip: 71
      Josh: 70
      Ben: 60
      Sara: 49

      Josh introduced us to this tile laying game. The artwork is very funny, and the gameplay is pretty simple.
      I tried to distribute my penguins evenly, in order to take advantage of as many performances as possible. I think taking last place in every performance would be ideal, as you'd be able to gather all the performers for a big bonus at the end of the game.
      I'd definitely play this game again.

      TRANSAMERICA (0:41 + 0:15 setup and listen to prize table raffle)
      Lewis: 10
      Josh: 0
      Chip: 0
      Andrew: -1
      Sara: -2

      This light rails game was a great choice, as it didn't require much thought and was very interruptible. Lewis did extremely well, and the rest of us sort of muddled along.

      PLUG: Gaming at my house in Maynard this Thursday. Email me with questions or for directions.

      .chip