Re: Session Report: Unity Games 6

  • brosiuse
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2003
      --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, J C Lawrence <claw@k...> wrote:

      > [...]
      >
      > Samarkand
      >

      > The cards suck. Badly. They are small, fiddly to handle, and a
      > pain to constantly shuffle (you're supposed to reshuffle the stack
      > on each discard).
      >
      > [...]

      We play Samarkand with two variant rules that are designed to address
      what we perceive as flaws in the printed rules. I found it interesting that you
      commented on both of these flaws. We play that you only reshuffle the
      stack when someone needs to draw a card and there are none left in the
      draw pile. We also play that the 12-card limit only comes into play at this
      point in time. So you wait until the draw pile is empty and need a card.
      At that point everyone discards down to 12. You reshuffle and continue on.

      > [...]
      >
      > nip in for the $10 collection, but the dice factor -- the only way to
      > travel at speed -- adds so much randomity while also being so
      > exceedingly attractive that it seems to overwhelm the rest of the
      > game's sound design points.
      >
      > [...]

      We make the price for a die roll $10 instead of $5. We think that typically
      the die is a bad choice even at $5, but we'd like to reduce die rolling (too
      much of it ruins the game.) At $10 a pop, you won't see nearly as much
      die rolling.

      Eric