my UG6 SR

  • Mike Long
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29, 2003
      I would like to second (3rd? 4th? whatever) the comments of others and
      thank Dave B. &c. for another well-run and fun event. I slept in and
      missed out on the first few hours, not a mistake I'll make again. As
      for the water issue, was I the only one to notice the drinking
      fountain just down the hall from the table with the pitchers?

      TRIAS
      Eric B., Ben ?, myself

      Eric taught this one to first-time players Ben and myself. While I
      can understand the problems other people might have with this game, I
      still enjoyed it. The fact that I won didn't hurt that assessment at
      all. There is some luck involved in terms of card draw (Ben could get
      nothing but jungle cards for a while near the end). Sometimes you
      have very few options for which tile to drift and the like, but that
      helps keep AP at bay. One play aid that might be useful would be a
      good-sized piece of hex graph paper, with hexes sized to match the
      pieces, and labeled with their distance from the center. I would play
      this again, although I have no plan to buy it for myself.

      CONQUEST
      Karl v.L., Scott H., Tom G., myself

      This is an oldie-but-goodie that Karl brought and taught to the rest
      of us. The play is vaguely chess-like in that you have different
      pieces with different powers. Some pieces, elephants and chariots,
      have posts on which you can mount soldiers and move the whole unit
      around the board quickly. In addition, you can move such a unit onto
      a ship to do an end-run around an enemy's defenses. Instead of moving
      one piece per turn, you get up to twenty moves that can be allocated
      as you like among your pieces, but each move only covers one space,
      and every piece has a limit as to how far it can move in a turn. The
      board consists of four large islands (one for each player), a central
      smaller island, and two tiny islands each between two of the large
      ones. Each player's island has a five-space castle, which if occupied
      reduces the number of moves you can make by four per space, and a
      harbor for your ships. The central island also has a 'quest' castle,
      which if occupied reduces the number of moves for all other players by
      four per space occupied. As you might guess, that makes it a hot
      commodity. There are multiple game ending conditions, the one we hit
      was when one player is reduced to one land piece. Scoring is
      differential; you get points for your pieces still on the board,
      pieces captured, and castle spaces occupied.

      Both Scott and myself made early grabs for the central island, and
      were in turn decimated by Karl, who occupied two spaces in the central
      castle. That made him the target of everyone else, but although his
      forces were nearly obliterated he gave as good as he got. Tom played
      a more conservative game than Scott or myself, he still had most of
      his pieces at the end of the game, and made some critical captures:
      ships with fully laden elephants, four points for one capture! Karl
      edged out Tom for the win, I broke even, and Scott was wiped out. I
      would definitely play this one again, and I may even look around for a
      copy.

      PRINCES OF FLORENCE
      ?, Hsin-I, John, ?, myself

      Now it was my turn to teach, which I'm none too good at doing,
      although the others were polite enough to say otherwise. Experience
      told, although the guy to my left (whose name I forget, sorry) did
      quite well by getting three builders and nearly completely filling his
      courtyard, then playing a prestige card for the most builders and
      buildings.

      CHEZ GEEK
      various

      Finished up the night with two games of Chez Geek. There's a lot of
      luck and no real strategy in this game, but it's still fun.
      --
      Mike Long <mike.long(at)analog.com>