UG6 Thoughts

  • Tami
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2003
      HI all-

      THought I'd take a break from work and chime in with my few pennies
      regarding this weekend's event.

      IT WAS AWESOME! I had a blast, and it was great putting faces to
      names. I wish I had had more time to get to know people, and to play
      more games, but I'm not sure my brain could have handled any more fun!

      A few thoughts:

      In addition to water (I never even noticed the water table- the water
      would have run out MUCH sooner if I had!), what about getting some
      crackers or other "snack" items for people to munch on? I was stuck
      in a position where a game ended at 3:30, nothing nearby was open
      until 4, and that's when the prizes were being distributed, which you
      had to be present to win. (Of course, I probably *SHOULD* have
      thought ahead and brought my own munchies). My guess is that the
      hotel could provide something like a cheese & chips tray around noon
      for not a lot extra- and I'd have no problem paying $10 in advance to
      get that little bit of service (if the cost of the event went up just
      $1, that's $150... if the hotel charges more than that for chips &
      cheese, there's some problems).

      If I can get my act together for the next event, I'll plan on baking
      some cookies and brownies and such. However, maybe we should have a
      table inside the room dedicated to "community food"? That would also
      solve the pizza problem mentioned by someone else.

      Re: prizes... I've already sent Craig a brainstorm on prizes, but
      more thoughts come up all the time.
      Perhaps do a bit more advertising, and solicit games from game
      companies. If you do a small program, you can put real advertising
      in the program in exchange for prizes. Alternatively, you could
      charge for the advertising, and use the money to purchase prizes.
      You'd probably be surprised how many companies would be willing to do
      that... And getting a Cheapass Game, as a "consolation" prize if you
      don't win something in the drawing would probably help with the
      feelings of "gee, I donated something, but didn't win anything."
      (I've done programs for events I've put on in the past, and would be
      happy to help with this... I also solicited prizes for said events,
      so could help with that as well, although I don't have the contacts
      for gaming that I had for bellydancing.)

      Re: making it a 2-day event. I sort of like this idea, but my
      experience with most 2-day events (gaming and non-gaming alike) is
      that you don't get the same number of people. What I toyed with this
      time, but didn't get around to doing was announcing that I was
      staying in the hotel, and would be up for gaming. If we did
      something informal like that, the people who want 2 days of
      spielenvergnugen could have it.
      I'll say right now that if we use the same hotel (or even a different
      hotel in that area), I'll plan on heading up on Friday and staying in
      the hotel (unless I change jobs before then and the new boss doesn't
      let me have the day off). If anyone wants to show up for informal
      gaming, please feel free to do so.

      I don't know what past events were like, since this was my first big
      UG event, so I can't really say whether the room/location/etc was an
      improvement or not.
      I CAN say that it seemed to work really well... BUT it would have
      been nice to not be rushed in putting up signage, etc. Is it
      possible to get into the room the night before to put in signage, and
      to make sure that the tables that need to be doubled up are the same
      height? Also, maybe taping the table cloths down would have been
      helpful- the cloths at the tables I sat at tended to drift.

      One thing I mentioned at the event, but didn't mention very loudly
      (didn't want to be "nominated") was that perhaps when people are
      trying to find new games, an announcement could be made using the
      microphone, so everyone knows what's starting and when. For some
      games, this can be handled via a program (i.e. Sound Decisions
      starting at 7pm- sign up by 6:30pm; training sessions for Game X will
      start every hour at table Y). For other games, a simple announcement
      could go something like: "A game of Ra will be starting in 15 minutes
      at table Z. They have 2 players, and can accomodate up to 3 more."

      If you have a few people who want to play longer games- 18XX, Game of
      Thrones, whatever- put in the program, "18xx at 1pm in area z" or
      something to that effect. Since we now know what the room looks
      like, we can map out the room and have a map in a program. We could
      even have theme areas- word games played in one corner, long games in
      another corner, etc. That way, if newbies wander in off the street,
      they can be directed to certain areas. Of course, the major section
      of the room could still be an open free-for-all like it was this time
      (I saw no problems with the way it worked- I'm just brainstorming
      based on the comments we've seen, specifically the idea of the
      training area).

      Okay- my 15 minute break is more than over- back to work.
      Tami
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2003
        At 06:00 PM 9/29/2003 +0000, Tami wrote:
        >Re: prizes... I've already sent Craig a brainstorm on prizes, but
        >more thoughts come up all the time. <snip>

        Soliciting is always something we can use help with!

        >Re: making it a 2-day event. I sort of like this idea, but my
        >experience with most 2-day events (gaming and non-gaming alike) is
        >that you don't get the same number of people. <snip>

        Yeah that's something we've discussed. There's certainly an argument
        for the "concentration" aspect of the one day event. I'm still a fan of
        overnight events (perhaps because I'm a night owl). There's just something
        about starting a game of Die Macher at midnight that appeals to some inner
        perversity in me.
        I also think that making it a two day event will appeal to more
        out-of-staters, folks that have to travel far enough that staying overnight
        would make sense. I also think there's a subset of the local UG population
        that would actually stay overnight just for the experience.
        And in my mind moving to a two day affair would make it more of an *EVENT*.

        >One thing I mentioned at the event, but didn't mention very loudly
        >(didn't want to be "nominated") was that perhaps when people are
        >trying to find new games, an announcement could be made using the
        >microphone, so everyone knows what's starting and when. For some
        >games, this can be handled via a program (i.e. Sound Decisions
        >starting at 7pm- sign up by 6:30pm; training sessions for Game X will
        >start every hour at table Y). For other games, a simple announcement
        >could go something like: "A game of Ra will be starting in 15 minutes
        >at table Z. They have 2 players, and can accomodate up to 3 more." <snip>

        I think we still need to work on our Starter area, but I don't like the
        idea of using the microphone. Just more noise to tune out (I hate that
        damn Catchphrase thing).
        I think you're on to something here though. Perhaps there should be a
        place for sign up sheets, especially for those that want to get a
        mini-monster game together. That can be tough to coordinate just by
        walking around the room.

        Mark

        Boy, those Germans have a word for everything! - Homer Simpson
      • Vitas Povilaitis
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2003
          I should mention other impressions about the event.

          I enjoyed the space. It seemed the right size for the number of
          people. I didn't have any trouble finding a table or a game to sit in
          on. I didn't have to squeeze by people to just browse the games on
          the tables and the games in progress.

          I enjoyed the variety of games. That people brought so many of their
          own games made for a great selection.

          I wish the water was refilled. By the time I came in, I thought the
          water table was left over for some other event, always being dry.

          I appreciate that a pass was made through the room to find lost bits.

          I wouldn't be interested in a two-day event. One day is enough for me
          to catch up with people I rarely see, and meet new people. There's
          enough gaming with the individual groups throughout the year around here.

          If you go to multiple rooms, make it very clear what goes on in each
          room, and that they exist in the first place.

          Perhaps you could have an etiquette FAQ for picking a game, starting a
          game with other people or joining a game for newbies who would be
          intimidated by the regulars here. (Maybe even advice for Rob about
          how to meet new people, instead of the same old SOG people. :-)

          I'd like UG to be a yearly event, and if it happens more often, that's
          a bonus.

          Overall, I appreciated the event and the efforts of the steering
          committee. I hope the negative comments won't overwhelm you because
          if there's nothing to complain about, there's nothing to say -- and a
          lot of people aren't saying much ;-)

          Sincerely,

          Vitas Povilaitis
        • Dawn Townsend
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
            I, too, would like to thank everyone who put alot of work and effort into
            the organization of UG6. I had an awesome time. I met a lot of great
            people and played alot of great games. Try as I might, I can't come up with
            any complaints- not even one. So thank you to everyone who put it together
            and everyone who came to make this such an enjoyable event. I am really
            looking forward to the next one.

            Dawn :)

            Share your photos without swamping your Inbox. Get Hotmail Extra Storage
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
              "Dawn Townsend" <dawn44@...> wrote:

              >I, too, would like to thank everyone who put alot of
              >work and effort into the organization of UG6.
              >I had an awesome time.
              >I met a lot of great people and played alot of great games.
              >Try as I might, I can't come up with any complaints- not
              >even one. So thank you to everyone who put it together
              >and everyone who came to make this such an enjoyable event.
              >I am really looking forward to the next one.

              I was really glad to see the SSG regulars there - I think pretty
              much everyone was there and it was neat to see them covering the
              room at lots of different tables! While I get a chance to game
              with you guys on a regular basis, lots of other folks haven't had
              the pleasure of gaming with you all and I hope it was enjoyable
              for everyone...

              Plus, the UG6 Wizard "championship" (ok, so we only played one
              game!) was won by Randy - one of our very own :)

              daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)