Re: [Unity_Games] Re: Why non-gamers are clueless

  • J C Lawrence
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8 9:25 AM
      On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 23:34:12 -0400
      W Eric Martin <eric@...> wrote:

      > I don't deny this appeal, but I think that parenting magazines --
      > which spend much of their pages touting the benefits of social
      > interaction and family togetherness -- would want to review items that
      > provide these very features. Yet they do not.

      Most parenting magazines and other niche interest media concerns use the
      standard maximal market return equation of having the ONLY minority
      aspect of their presentation be their niche. Everything else is as
      mainstream or mainstream sympathetic as they can make it. Not
      surprising really, it is the sole guaranteed route to the largest
      possible audience while maintaining niche-demographic coverage for
      advertising rates.

      > I agree, and whenever I have the option of purchasing a game in
      > multiple locations, I purchase from the smaller local store rather
      > than the chain (such as buying I'm the Boss at full price from the
      > publisher's game store in Providence rather than discounted online).
      > This option often applies only to popular games from large companies,
      > but I still figure every dollar helps keep those Mom & Pop locations
      > alive.

      I try and strike a balance and divide my budget accordingly. Local
      stores I have an interest or relationship with get a slice,
      stores/people I like (online or off) get a slice, and lowest-bidder gets
      a slice. The size of each slice varies a bit depending on how I feel
      about a particular vendor, and really needs to be viewed over about a 1n
      18 month period as across the year I try to do a bit of a balancing act
      across large and small items so that, for instance, local stores don't
      only get stuck providing $10 fluff items while I buy all my $40 games
      elsewhere.

      --
      J C Lawrence
      claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?