Re: [Unity_Games] ADEL VERPFLICHTET

  • Ian Schreiber
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
      >In a word, this is twaddle. It is the same argument I've
      >heard about FOOTBALL STRATEGY. Yet the same
      >players win FS and ADEL over and over. It isn't luck.
      >Many times, people play a game and immediately decide
      >it sucks. In the case of ADEL, the truth is that they just
      >don't undestand the strategy or they miss the subtlety.

      I find it interesting that it was naturally assumed that I only played Adel
      (and Nimmt) once or twice before leaping to these grand conclusions. In
      fact, the opposite is true; my gaming group was heavily addicted to each of
      these games for several months, and the luck-based aspects of them didn't
      start to dawn on us until then.

      You could make a fair argument that Rock-Paper-Scissors is a game of skill,
      also (www.worldrps.com obviously thinks so). But if one player chooses to
      play completely randomly, they can force it to be a game of luck instead...
      and this eventually became our experience with Adel/Nimmt.

      So, I suppose it's not entirely fair of me to call these games "luck-based".
      Rather, I should call them "RPS-like", but without enough to differentiate
      them from RPS itself (and I can play RPS without spending money on a
      boardgame, and it's over more quickly than Nimmt :-).

      >It's like POKER. And if you think POKER is "luck",
      >please come to my next POKER game and bring lots of
      >money!

      I suppose I'll have to chalk it up to different experience. Over a long
      period of time, the same people will tend to win more often than not at
      Poker. In my experience, this was NOT the case in Adel or Nimmt beyond
      reasonable statistical variation.

      *shrug* Maybe everyone at my old gaming group was just too evenly matched
      at these kinds of games, so they appeared random, and I'd have to find
      someone amazingly good or bad at them to see otherwise.