Re: [Unity_Games] TGOO or not TGOO

  • J C Lawrence
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 3, 2003
      On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:44:26 -0700 (PDT)
      Eric Shultz <swift_4@...> wrote:
      > --- J C Lawrence <claw@...> wrote:
      >> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:11:51 -0400 Dave Bernazzani <daveber@...>
      >> wrote:

      >> I'm not a fan of the term [TGOO]... sounds somehow elitist.

      > It's elitist, vague, and an acronym. Three strikes.

      I'll give you one out of the three as a strike.

      >>> Though I'm not sure German/Euro games is really fitting these days
      >>> either.

      > I think German Style games is still fitting, since the revolution
      > started in Germany.

      For people that I've good reason to think like TGOO, but who may not be
      'net-aware spielfreakers, I use "German games". I've yet to be caught
      out on that from someone who actually does like TGOO.

      >> I've been calling them "designer games" with people outside of the
      >> hobby, which seems to have been going over well.

      > That's pretty good. Especially since the designers' names are almost
      > always on the box. It also gives the impression that they were
      > designed, rather than derived or whitewashed.

      Quite, tho there rises that wonderfully selective elitist tendency.
      Mustn't have any mass produced populist pap!

      > It's not a TGOO, Euro, German, or Designer, but if you've got kids
      > then stay the hell away from the Bionicle Mask of Light game. It's
      > like turning a coin flip into a Rube Goldberg contraption.

      Thanks for the warning. My sons (5 & 8) are currently hooked on
      Gregory's House of Horrors and YuGiHo cards. Good to know something
      else to avoid.

      --
      J C Lawrence
      claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 8, 2003
        On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:00:16 -0400
        Joe Kidd <joseph.kidd@...> wrote:
        > J C Lawrence wrote:

        >> And yet if the question had been asked, especially internally, this
        >> thread wouldn't have begun. <shrug> Happily it has been a successful
        >> campaign.

        > "Successful campaign"?? I'd ask what your definition of successful
        > was if I weren't terrified that you might answer.

        An offer to terrorise! How can I refuse?

        Yup, I looked for, advertised for even, a particular audience and found
        it.

        --
        J C Lawrence
        claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?