(SR) GiP

  • Tami
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2003
      This is my first attempt at an SR, so please be kind & gentle.

      Attendees: Larry, Mark, Brian, Shelley, Tami, Chris, JC, Roy, Allan

      We started out with a 6 or 7 player game of Grape Escape. Larry
      initially won, but since he made it to the finish line before any
      violence had occurred, we made him start over. I think Mark may have
      won this one, but I'm not sure. In the end, all grapes were
      squished, and many laughs were had. I think JC was the only one that
      didn't enjoy this game, based on him taking out another game and
      looking through it while we were still playing.

      Elixir was next up. This game started with "Well, I'll be a Monkey's
      Uncle" played on Allan. I can't think of a better choice, and he
      played it well. Mark was "Perplexed" for most of the game, and I
      ended up being a "Busybody" for the last few rounds, for your
      information. I ended up winning, playing "Cyrano" on Allan, who
      started the poem with "there once was a man from Nantucket." (If
      anyone can remember the last line of that poem, please e-mail me
      offlist; it's been driving me nuts).

      From here, we split into 2 groups: 1 group played El Grande, while
      the rest of us (Mark, Brian, Shelley and I) played several games.

      Money: played 2 rounds of this, both of which Mark won. This is a
      fun, fast game that I really rather enjoyed.

      Zirkus Flohcati: again, we played 2 rounds of this, with Brian
      winning both. He ALWAYS wins this game, IME. His strategy seems to
      be to get the 10 different colors asap. I try this every time, but
      always seem to be 1 or 2 colors short when Brian goes out.

      Then Brian left, and Mark, Shelley, and I played Coloretto. Cute
      game; I'm going to have to buy it. But in retrospect, I think we may
      have played the game slightly wrong; there's a card with a "round"
      arrow in it; Mark said this was the ending of the game. I kept
      thinking it was a weird symbol for a game end, and then last night
      realized that maybe it meant we were supposed to change turn
      directions. Does anyone know for sure?

      I have no idea how El Grande ended, because Mark, Shelley and I all
      left at this point.

      Tami
    • Phil Alberg
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2003
        Nice report, Tami!

        > Then Brian left, and Mark, Shelley, and I played Coloretto. Cute
        > game; I'm going to have to buy it. But in retrospect, I think we
        may
        > have played the game slightly wrong; there's a card with a "round"
        > arrow in it; Mark said this was the ending of the game. I kept
        > thinking it was a weird symbol for a game end, and then last night
        > realized that maybe it meant we were supposed to change turn
        > directions. Does anyone know for sure?

        The card signifies that this is the last round. Players continue
        turning over cards or taking card groups until everyone has taken a
        card group. Final scoring is then calculated.

        I've never known Mark to get a rule wrong -- in fact it's almost
        inhuman how encyclopedic is his recollection of game rules. Could
        it be that he's a cyborg in disguise?

        - Phil
      • J C Lawrence
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2003
          On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 13:42:38 -0000
          Tami <yatcher@...> wrote:

          > But in retrospect, I think we may have played the game slightly wrong;
          > there's a card with a "round" arrow in it; Mark said this was the
          > ending of the game. I kept thinking it was a weird symbol for a game
          > end, and then last night realized that maybe it meant we were supposed
          > to change turn directions. Does anyone know for sure?

          The last round card is placed 15 cards up from the bottom of the draw
          deck and is played as follows (transcribed from English rules on the
          'geek):

          http://boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=2808
          http://boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=2809

          When the last round card is drawn, this indicates it is is the last
          round. Place the card to the side to remind all the players. Then
          the player draws his next card.

          Translation: when the last round card is drawn you continue playing the
          current collection of set cards until they are all taken, and then the
          game ends.

          As a house rule I've come to vary this arrangement to:

          The last round card is placed 3*N cards up from the bottom of the draw
          deck, where N is the number of players in the game, and thus acts as a
          signal that the end is approaching. The person who pulls the last
          round card then has the option of either pulling another card and
          signalling that the current round is the last of the game, or of
          taking a set and thus extending the game by one more round.

          Once a last round card has been pulled under this variant, other
          players can continue to pull and add cards to sets, but the game is
          limited to the length decided by the player who pulled the last round
          card.

          I can't say which is better: the variant or the original rules. The
          original rules add some uncertainty to a card counter's life as the last
          15 cards in the deck will (mostly) never be played. The variant allows
          the player who pulls the last round card to make some rather messy and
          difficult probability decisions as to the current state of the game
          versus what the next round will look like, as well as the ability for
          the other players to mess with his decision by pulling more cards or
          not.

          I should probably post this on the 'geek as a variant.

          > I have no idea how El Grande ended, because Mark, Shelley and I all
          > left at this point.

          This was the first time Chris, Roy, and I had played El Grande, and
          think it was Allan's second ever game. I led for almost the entire
          game, with Larry in close pursuit and Allan hop-hopping between just
          ahead of me and back in the middle of the pack. I can't say this was
          due to any great brilliance on my part: I just went for setting maximal
          point differential in the scoring rounds and left everything else to
          fate. Larry seemed the only one with a real plan. Chris and Roy I'm
          afraid made heavy weather of the game (tho they were clearly enjoying
          the game), and in particular both seemed to have a serious knack for
          managing to make placements that other people profited by screwing up.
          Chris in particular amassed a huge collection of caballeros in his
          castle.

          Oddly, and this was unplanned by me, both Larry and my placements were
          either continuously protected by the King, or far enough outside of the
          areas Allan, Chris, and Roy were contesting (and were directly valuable
          for them to contest), that we remained mostly unmolested. To some
          extent in this regard the game fracted into a game between Larry and me
          with Allan chiming in now and then, and a second game among Chris and
          Roy with Allan popping in as the default target for them. I'm curious
          if this sort of internal fracting is typical, was a product of our
          rather scattered initial placements (I was in a corner, Larry in the
          middle, Chris and Roy together on the right side, and Larry near them at
          the bottom), or was a product of how our range of skills/familiarity
          with the game intersected those initial placements.

          While I didn't track time, I'd guess that we were heading for a 120
          minute game versus the rated 90 minute game its normally rated at -- not
          bad for a first play. For a game so obviously prone to AP we seemed to
          make good time of it with moves moving along at a reasonable clip. The
          massive effect of actions on board stake and how that affected your
          position worked well to keep everyone involved even when they weren't
          playing.

          We ended just before the third and last scoring round as the mall was
          shutting down. I was in the lead again with Larry not too far behind
          (~8 points back AIR). I had broad earnings across 5 territories (first
          in three), with Larry having big earnings in two (7 + 6 + bonuses IIRC
          and a second in a third). I don't know if I could have managed to
          retain my lead into and through final scoring -- much would have
          depending on King movement and it would have been a close thing. I
          suspect Larry would have taken it due to his far more clever use of the
          Castille than I managed. Allan was a fair chunk (20 or so?) back behind
          the two of us, but had a board position that looked able to mature into
          some serious scoring in the last round (more pieces on board than anyone
          else, just all clumped in a couple locations). My suspicion was that he
          could make a serious point leap in the last round if Chris and Roy
          didn't have their evil way with him first. Chris and Roy I'm afraid
          tailed seriously. Roy occupied the tail position, but while his scoring
          had accelerated in the last few plays (actions which scored), and his
          board position had improved a fair bit, he was way back there. My
          suspicion was that Chris, Roy and Allan would be fighting for third on a
          fairly equal footing if Chris and Roy fully ganged up on Allan. Larry
          suggested, without going into details, that they might be able to go
          even for first or second with enough luck and good play despite our
          lead. If so it would have to be a question of very selective predation
          on other players.

          Allan took several pictures of the board and bits in play which he's
          promised to pass on later for those interested.

          Quote of the afternoon (and I have absolutely no idea who said this,
          really):

          Hey, my dingus isn't sticky!

          Which was said in reference to the arrow on the area selection disk
          being loose and not holding its position when set. This was possibly a
          little more funny in situ due to the disturbingly phallic shape of the
          King piece and the rather baby shit brown colour it shared with Allan's
          pieces. <Baby shit loft, range, and splatter story ellided>

          --
          J C Lawrence
          claw@... He lived as a devil, eh?
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
            --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Alberg" <albergclan@c...>
            wrote:
            > Nice report, Tami!

            TY!

            > The card signifies that this is the last round. Players continue
            > turning over cards or taking card groups until everyone has taken a
            > card group. Final scoring is then calculated.

            > I've never known Mark to get a rule wrong -- in fact it's almost
            > inhuman how encyclopedic is his recollection of game rules. Could
            > it be that he's a cyborg in disguise?

            Well, I didn't really want to doubt Mark... but the symbol itself
            looks like the "reverse order" symbol I've seen in other games. But
            we DID end up playing wrong, because once I flipped the arrow card,
            Mark said that the game was over: we didn't finish that round.
            Incidentally, I HIGHLY doubt it had any real bearing on the game.
            Just a funky symbol that seems it could have multiple meanings.

            Tami
          • mrhaleon
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
              wrote:

              > I've never known Mark to get a rule wrong -- in fact it's almost
              > inhuman how encyclopedic is his recollection of game rules. Could
              > it be that he's a cyborg in disguise?

              It's not a question of whether Mark gets the rules wrong. It's what
              he chooses to reveal to new players and when.

              A simple caveat. If you are ever in a game of Traum where Mark is
              teaching new players, just get the pain over with and tell them that
              vertrags count for points at the end.

              Otherwise, they won't learn this fact until Mark "remembers" it two
              auctions from the last party ;)

              Scoundrel.

              --Campbell