b20 thoughts

  • Constantine von Hoffman
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2003
      not actually an sr ...

      got a copy of I'm The Boss at scholars and I think the game looks great.
      pass my compliments on to the folks in providence.

      Terry and I got to play Columbia game's Liberty. I'd only played one other
      of their games -- wizard kings -- once before, and didn't really get much
      of a feel for it. Liberty, however, was great. It took about 1.5 hrs (after
      rules explanation) and really moved. a definite must play again. i was the
      pompous brits and nearly defeated the upstarts until the french came along
      and kicked derriere. i'm really becoming a huge fan of "light" war games.

      Also played Dune on David's new board. game had a surprisingly high whine
      factor given that kyle wasn't playing. david won because we had an
      amazingly bloody first turn and nobody was really able to come back from
      it. I will happily play it again, but really hope david adds to his set by
      making some home-made dueling circles as the ones he has are looking
      verrrry long in the tooth.

      Constantine

      "Very good," he said, moving in the general direction of away.
      --Spike Milligan
    • Terry Egan
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2003
        I didn't realize Liberty was a follow-up of sorts to
        Hammer of the Scots. I've been looking forward to
        playing Hammer, so it looks like Liberty is also
        firmly penciled in on the "want to try it" list. I
        have to admit, though, that thematically the idea of
        taking the part of William Wallace or Robert the Bruce
        against the Brits in Hammer appeals more than the
        French/British conflict portrayed in Liberty, although
        that's probably just my celtic roots talking.

        But 'fess up, Constantine! I got slammed on this very
        forum for predicting Dune would prove to be a pretty
        long undertaking. I know I played three games while
        the search for water, spice and brevity on David's
        very bumpy Crokinole board was going on (for anyone
        mystified by this, David Fontes has created a very
        beautiful 3D wooden map for Dune that, until you see
        the surface, looks exactly like a Crokinole board).
        Those who revel in the secret knowledge that the great
        desert worms and the spice are connected predicted a
        1.5-hour game, while I, still ignorantly believing
        that Stilgar is a type of fish, was cruelly immersed
        in the Water of Life for forecastig that you guys
        would be mired in the desert longer than Rommel. How
        long did it take to complete the game and who was the
        victor? My bet is Baron Harkonen did it in the parlor
        with a crysknife.

        -Terry

        --- Constantine von Hoffman <c@...> wrote:
        > got a copy of I'm The Boss at scholars and I think
        > the game looks great.
        > pass my compliments on to the folks in providence.
        >
        > Terry and I got to play Columbia game's Liberty.
        > I'd only played one other
        > of their games -- wizard kings -- once before, and
        > didn't really get much
        > of a feel for it. Liberty, however, was great. It
        > took about 1.5 hrs (after
        > rules explanation) and really moved. a definite must
        > play again. i was the
        > pompous brits and nearly defeated the upstarts until
        > the french came along
        > and kicked derriere. i'm really becoming a huge fan
        > of "light" war games.
        >
        > Also played Dune on David's new board. game had a
        > surprisingly high whine
        > factor given that kyle wasn't playing. david won
        > because we had an
        > amazingly bloody first turn and nobody was really
        > able to come back from
        > it. I will happily play it again, but really hope
        > david adds to his set by
        > making some home-made dueling circles as the ones he
        > has are looking
        > verrrry long in the tooth.
        >

        > Constantine
        >
        > "Very good," he said, moving in the general
        > direction of away.
        > --Spike Milligan

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Matthew Horn
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
          >>Those who revel in the secret knowledge that the great
          >>desert worms and the spice are connected predicted a
          >>1.5-hour game, while I, still ignorantly believing
          >>that Stilgar is a type of fish, was cruelly immersed
          >>in the Water of Life for forecastig that you guys
          >>would be mired in the desert longer than Rommel.

          I am going to nominate this as the "Longest, Geekiest Sentence" written on UG this year. And I'll also nominate Britney Spears/Madonna for "Best Kiss".

          matt
        • David Fontes
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
            > But 'fess up, Constantine! I got slammed on this very
            > forum for predicting Dune would prove to be a pretty
            > long undertaking.

            I honestly was not keeping track of the time. It probably did end up being
            pretty close to 3 hours, but that includes rules explanation and set-up,
            which was at least a half an hour. (3 of the 5 players were new to the
            game.) But it was hardly the only game I got a chance to play - there was
            also Carcassonne (with T&B expansion), Ra, Null Bock, and Modern Art. A
            pretty full evening of gaming.

            > How
            > long did it take to complete the game and who was the
            > victor? My bet is Baron Harkonen did it in the parlor
            > with a crysknife.

            The fact that we never saw a single Shai-Hulud come up, so there was never
            an opportunity for alliances to be formed, may have impacted the length
            somewhat. It definitely impacted the outcome, since I, as Emperor, was able
            to wait mostly off-planet (I threw a token force into Habbanya Ridge Seitch
            early on, since it began the game unoccupied), while the other warring
            factions beat the crap out of each other, using weapons and various forms of
            treachery that they had purchased from me! Bwa ha ha! So as my coffers
            filled with spice, the sands of Arrakis were reddened by the blood of the
            Atreides (Steve), Fremen (Rich), Guild (Constantine) and Harkonnen
            (Campbell). After a particularly bloody battle in Carthag, I was able to
            swoop in with an overwhelming force, chasing out the pitiful remnants of the
            Harkonnen, who fled to wander the desert in search of spice, leaving me just
            one stronghold away from victory. Shortly thereafter, the Fremen, who
            somehow had gotten a hold of some Family Atomics, destroyed the Shield Wall
            just as a huge sandstorm was blowing into Arrakeen, completely obliterating
            the Atreides forces arrayed there. Then, armed with their knowledge of
            sandstorm survival, the Fremen were able to occupy Arrakeen themselves. The
            Atreides, faced with a near complete lack of presence on planet, opted to
            attack me at my weakest point, in Habbanya Ridge Sietch. Fortunately, I
            still had a decent number of forces left off-planet, and was able to
            reinforce my troops there. At the same time, I all but abandoned Carthag to
            lead a raid on Sietch Tabr, which had been the site of many a battle between
            the Harkonnen and the Fremen. It was currently in control of the Harkonnen.
            It was a gamble to leave Carthag vulnerable, but I knew that the only player
            left who could attack it was the Harkonnen, and I was pretty sure they were
            very poor and could not afford to ship a particularly large force to attack
            me. Plus, I had an ace-in-the-hole regarding the Harkonnen: their strongest
            leader, the infamous Feyd Rautha, was secretly in my pay! The Harkonnen were
            able to ship down two troops to Carthag, outnumbering the lone troop I had
            left there. I was faced with three battles, and if I managed to win them
            all, I would win the game. I was able to beat the Atreides, mainly due to
            superior numbers and the use of my Elite Sardaukar forces, without having to
            use my two strongest leaders, which I wanted to save for the Harkonnen
            battles. At Sietch Tabr, the fat Baron had entrusted its defense to none
            other than Feyd Rautha, who welcomed me with open arms while I slaughtered
            his troops. I then slit his throat, for no one can trust a traitor! Leaving
            but one battle, where I was outnumbered two-to-one. Fortunately, the
            Harkonnen had lost there only offensive weapon in the Sietch Tabr debacle,
            and as it turned out, they did not have a defense which protected them from
            my weapon. My leader survived, his did not, and the planet was mine!

            Bah, three hours or an hour and a half... it matters not when the game is so
            good!
            -David
          • Terry Egan
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
              I'm so proud, Matt! And the nomination coming from the
              Spielboy himself makes it all just that much more
              special!

              I second the other nomination, by the way. If you had
              asked me beforehand if Britney and Madonna trading
              spit was a good thing, I probably would have said no.
              How wrong I was :)

              -Terry

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
                Nice report on the Dune game, David. Sounds like it
                was fun and held everyone's attention throughout,
                which is really one of the key measuring sticks for a
                game of any length.

                --- David Fontes <dfontes@...> wrote:
                > Bah, three hours or an hour and a half... it matters
                > not when the game is so good!

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • Richard Spoonts
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
                  --- Terry Egan <cardsharp_100@...> wrote:
                  > I second the other nomination, by the way. If you
                  > had
                  > asked me beforehand if Britney and Madonna trading
                  > spit was a good thing, I probably would have said
                  > no.
                  > How wrong I was :)

                  Really? I thought the kiss was totally lame. I was
                  expecting something like Madonna with the wine bottle
                  in "Truth or Dare". Or at least some serious tongue
                  action.

                  Justin Timberlake's reaction shot was priceless,
                  though.

                  Richard

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com