SR - SOG special Friday edition

  • elkind_rob@emc.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2003
      Thanks to Chris, Lewis, and Eric who took up the challenge of last minute
      Friday night gaming and spared me from gamers withdrawal.

      We played Merchants of Venus - I liked the game but it had a lot of
      components that we glossed over during the rulers explanation to get the
      game moving and there were many advanced rules that we didn't use. Chris
      started out strong and found many powerful relics (the jump gate seemed
      especially nice) while I started very slowly. Eric and Lewis both seemed to
      be in the middle of the pack the whole game. I managed to pull out the win
      with the monopoly/miser strategy but I think I would have rather been Chris
      - who had a lot of fun flitting around the galaxy in his high tech ship. I
      didn't spent money on anything that wouldn't give me victory points and I
      also was able to make a lot of money from the factories and the goods you
      get at a discount for building the factory. My ship was the bare minimum,
      only two cargo holds, and I moved slowly but I only had a small circuit to
      traverse to make my deliveries which allowed me to maximize my profits.
      Chris, had an amazing ship with all sorts of bells and whistles. He
      certainly would have won if the game was played to a higher total because of
      his ability to quickly move about the galaxy and also his large transport
      capabilities, but the shortness of the game meant that all the money spent
      on his ship was an investment that didn't have a chance to pay off.

      It's funny, but I often find this to be the case in "train" games - that you
      either try to win or you focus on building a really neat infrastructure in
      the hopes that it will eventually lead you to victory. It's seems like with
      me that if I get off to a good start, I concentrate on the infrastructure
      and build something that's really nice, but if I have a bad start, I just
      worry about keeping up financially and just maximize the profits for each
      run hoping I can get lucky and penny pinch my way to victory.

      -Rob

      > Rob Elkind
      Information Security Engineer
      > EMC²
      > where information lives
      >
      > Phone: 508.898.7203 EMC EDP 823-37203
      Cell: 508 958 4299 Pager: 888 428 4022
      > Email: elkind_rob@...

    • Walter Hunt
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2003
        On Monday, Aug 4, 2003, at 10:54 US/Eastern, elkind_rob@... wrote:

        > It's funny, but I often find this to be the case in "train" games -
        > that you
        > either try to win or you focus on building a really neat
        > infrastructure in
        > the hopes that it will eventually lead you to victory.

        Well, that's the trick with train games - to know when to stop
        investing and concentrate on accumulating victory points ($, usually).
        There were similar comments on the geek recently about Traders of
        Genoa, and how much to pay for things, and when it's worth it to pay.

        MoV is an MVGA favorite, and it's for all intents and purposes a train
        game - in space.

        Walter H. Hunt
        hotc@...
        http://www.walterhunt.com/