SR: MVGA 7/31

  • Walter Hunt
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
      In the absence of Eric B, a 100% SR-Generator-free report of our
      activities.

      On hand: Dan M, Anton, Greg P, Paul H, Walter, Mike L.

      Greg and I arrived a bit late, and the other three had set up to play
      Web of Power but gave it up after one round. Dan claims he was winning,
      but I have no scores.

      We next sat down to play Mystery of the Abbey, which has been (aptly)
      described as "Clue on Steroids". It's a murder mystery game involving a
      medieval abbey, with one monk card placed under the board as the
      murderer and the remaining ones distributed to the players, who pass
      them around, steal from each other, and ask questions. The key to the
      game is to ask questions that give you info while giving none away. . .
      we played for about 90 minutes, with Dan finally making the correct
      accusation, Walter and Anton hot on his heels.

      Mike showed up toward the end of the proceedings, so we broke up into
      two groups. Paul, Dan and I played Goldland, a 2002 Goldsieber release
      that involves building a board through unknown territory to reach a
      golden temple at the far end. One of the interesting mechanisms is the
      "backpack" - the thing you carry your equipment and treasures in. The
      more you carry, the slower you move - so it's important to only pick up
      stuff you'll use. I found a fast route directly to the temple and
      gathered up most of the scoring disks (for most encounters with
      bandits, pumas, crevasses, deserts, etc) and won handily, 27 to 13
      (Dan) to 6 (Paul). Beautiful components for this game.

      Meanwhile, Greg, Mike and Anton pulled out old favorite Acquire. I
      don't have any details on the game, but it ended up very close, with
      Mike edging out Greg 41.7k to 40.5k, Anton trailing at 30.0k. We've
      been playing Acquire at MVGA since its old Avalon Hill days, and we
      miss the blank tiles :-)

      Paul then left, and we decided on a quick closer of Hick Hack. I won't
      belabor the report with a description of the game - it fits well with
      the "think fast, make mistakes" motto of our club. Greg demonstrated
      his mastery with a convincing 46-point win, with Dan (30), myself (28),
      Anton (17) and Mike (17) in the rear view.

      Fun night in Holliston; see you next week.

      Walter H. Hunt
      hotc@...
      http://www.walterhunt.com/
    • redhill459@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
        To MVGA, For the record, I have been dissappointed I haven't been able to
        attend enough thurs night sessions of MVGA. You get intelligent people who
        provide good healthy competition in a mellow laid back atmosphere. It is always
        enjoyable. This past week Thursday was the 31st day of the month, and I have to
        stay in work after 5PM to close out financials before the start of the new
        month. Next week August 7, I am going to Chicago to attend Midsumcon VI. 4 days of
        train gaming with Anthony Carver and friends. I will be back @ MVGA August
        14, god willing, because I don't want to miss another session this summer. For
        everyone else, If you like relaxed gaming, Try MVGA every Thursday in
        Holliston! Bill B.