SR: GSG 07/29/2003

  • Phil Alberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
      GSG 07/29/2003

      ATTENDEES: (15) Mark, Matt, Phil, Ralph, Steve, Richard, Richard's
      nephew Mike, Ben, James, Brian, Rich, Rich's friend Chris?, Eric,
      Bruce, Bruce's friend Penny.

      GAMES PLAYED: Chinatown, Goldland, High Society, Ra, Buzzword, Zirkus
      Flohcati, Carcassonne, BANG!, Katzenjammer Blues x2, Acquire, maybe
      more?

      WOW! Another double digit turnout at the Edwards abode. What could
      explain the high turnouts the past three weeks? Is it the gracious
      host? The impressive game collection? The wonderful food and
      drink? The stellar comraderie? The excessive whining? Nope, I
      think it must be the air conditioning.

      Comments on games that I played:

      CHINATOWN: Ben, Phil, Richard, Mike
      This was the first time playing for everyone except me. We had a
      false start, as our attempt to play using the Westbank Gamer's
      variant was causing confusion. ** We reset and played by the actual
      rules, and had a fun time with this negotiation game. I think
      everyone except Mike had a 4+ business completed by the third (of
      six) turns. Ben received a windfall of cash due to the #6 card being
      drawn during the fifth round, which paid him $1000 for each #6 tile
      that he had on the board. Ben took the win, 132K, 120K, 116K, 92K.

      ** Ben managed to acquire two additional cards during the first turn,
      which he wanted to hold onto. However, on the next turn he could
      only fill his hand to five cards, meaning that he would only get one
      extra card while the other players got more. He didn't think this
      was fair, and as I had never played this variant I wasn't sure what
      the real ramifications would be. Sure, he could've discarded up to
      two cards, but he didn't feel that he was gaining anything by
      acquiring the extra lots if all he could do was discard them. Has
      anyone else tried this variant?

      GOLDLAND: Ben, Phil, Richard, Mike
      Again, this was the first time playing for everyone except me.
      Richard was the most efficient explorer, being able to find a mostly
      direct path to the amulets without adventures cluttering up the
      path. He never used any exploration tokens, and ended the game with
      eight of them. Both he and Mike reached the goal in the same turn,
      and thus collected additional gold. Ben and I, however, were both
      mired in a maze of adventures, which slowed us down a bit. However,
      we were able to discover more treasures and higher value adventures
      than the others. These treasures made the difference, as Ben took
      the win. If I had used a couple of exploration markers instead of
      picking up another rope, I would've had enough movement to end the
      game one turn sooner, and would've tied Ben. Woulda, coulda,
      shoulda. The final scores were 18, 17, 15, 13.

      HIGH SOCIETY: Mark, Phil, Eric
      Eric had not played this game before, so Mark explained the rules,
      and suggested that he use "the force" when deciding when and what to
      bid. This is the same mystical strategy that Mark uses while playing
      Ra. Well, the vile dog threw us for a loop and actually THOUGHT
      while playing, and actually kept track of precisely how much money
      Eric was spending. As Eric reported earlier, Mark took the win,
      spending $1000 less than Eric spent, while picking up a couple more
      tiles than me. Curse you, you thinking bastard!

      Thanks again, Mark, for hosting this shindig.

      There will NOT be a road show next week -- the GSG will instead meet
      at Mark's house.

      - Phil
    • Mark J. Edwards
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
        At 04:41 PM 8/1/2003 +0000, Phil Alberg wrote:

        >GSG 07/29/2003
        >
        >ATTENDEES: (15) Mark, Matt, Phil, Ralph, Steve, Richard, Richard's
        >nephew Mike, Ben, James, Brian, Rich, Rich's friend Chris?, Eric,
        >Bruce, Bruce's friend Penny.
        >
        >GAMES PLAYED: Chinatown, Goldland, High Society, Ra, Buzzword, Zirkus
        >Flohcati, Carcassonne, BANG!, Katzenjammer Blues x2, Acquire, maybe
        >more?

        Thanks Eric and Phil for the excellent reports! I love reading another
        perspective on a SR I've attended. I actually meant to get a SR out
        Thursday but got caught in a meeting and today is a total washout (I'm
        doing a Mr. Mom stint with my 3 kids, plus 2 of my buddy's kids, plus the
        damn dog. On top of that Norton Antivirus hoses your DHCP Client service
        when you uninstall it. It only took me a few hours to figure out wtf that
        was all about.
        Anyhoot...

        Marracash: Ralph, Matt, Steve and Mark
        Matt won going away after securing the one and only yellow shop for a
        cheap price. Not until the next day did I notice that there are 4 more
        yellow shoppers than any other color. Doh!
        Matt's comment, "Not bad for a Steffan Dora game". I'd like to play
        this game a couple of times within a few weeks to see where it falls on the
        scale. I'm also tempted to tweak it (if only adding a few meeples to the mix).

        Ra: Chris, James, Brian, Rich and Mark
        Very good game of Ra where I got lucky in the second epoch allowing my
        piddly tiles pay off handsomely. The scores after mine were
        clustered. Chris (Rich's buddy) was new to the game but did a great job of
        it. I always find it kind of fun exploring and explaining Ra's inner
        workings with an inquisitive new comer.

        Katzenjammer Blues:
        I played this twice, once with 4 and the second time with 6. Funky is
        the best adjective I can come up with. I'll have to hunt down a copy or
        bribe Eric into toting his copy to more sessions.

        The 15 gamers is definitely a record for GSG. It was an unofficial
        "Bring your Buddy" night. We had folks gaming in the game room, the
        kitchen and the dining room.

        Mark

        "Just look at him. Square. The shape of *EVIL*" - Plankton
      • Matthew Horn
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
          > The 15 gamers is definitely a record for GSG. It was an unofficial
          > "Bring your Buddy" night. We had folks gaming in the game room, the
          > kitchen and the dining room.

          Not to mention the body in Bruce's trunk.