Re: Adam Spielt?

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
      So was anyone actually organizing an Adam Spielt order or not? If so,
      please contact me off-list. If no one's yet taken up the baton, I'll do
      so. My wife's German is decent, so she can help me navigate an order.

      Contact me off-list if you're interested in ordering and we'll work
      everything out as we go. I attend GSG, SSG, and GAGA events, so I'm
      sure I can hand games off to folks who can pass them on to you -- or you
      can stop by my house in Blackstone and I'll help you test them out.

      Eric-4

      P.S. In case anyone's curious, my article on rule-changing games is in
      the Sept 2003 issue of GAMES. I received my copy in the mail, so I
      don't know whether it's on newsstands yet. I do not know what the main
      picture represents; any suggestions?

      --
      W. Eric Martin - TwoWriters.net
      * Fight intrusive advertising! - http://www.BadAds.org *
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2003
        --- W. Eric Martin (a.k.a. Eric-4) wrote:
        > P.S. In case anyone's curious, my article on rule-changing games is
        in
        > the Sept 2003 issue of GAMES. I received my copy in the mail, so I
        > don't know whether it's on newsstands yet. I do not know what the
        main
        > picture represents; any suggestions?

        Nice article, Eric! Yeah, I was wondering about that picture, too.
        For those not getting the pictorial portion of this thread, the b&w
        picture shows a dozen or so youths jumping off of a dock into a
        pond. Perhaps they are about to play Marco Polo? Does that game
        have changing rules?

        - Phil

        P.S. I will be unable to attend GSG tonight. My brother and his
        wife are visiting from Germany, and they have chosen this night to
        visit our house.
      • Clark Baker
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 6, 2003
          > From: Walter Hunt <hotc@...>
          > Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:50:28 -0400
          >
          > My recent Germany trip didn't yield all of the hoped-for prizes, so
          > I'm curious if anyone would be looking to organize an Adam Spielt
          > order any time soon. In particular, I'd like to land Phoenix (from
          > Jeux Descartes) and Moderne Zeiten.

          I have a sense how "common" German board ganmes are in greater Boston,
          and in which types of stores to look. Could someone comment on how
          common these same games are in Germany? Would the local Toy R Us
          carry them?

          --
          Clark Baker, Belmont, MA
          cmbaker@...
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 7, 2003
            > I have a sense how "common" German board ganmes are in greater
            Boston,
            > and in which types of stores to look. Could someone comment on how
            > common these same games are in Germany? Would the local Toy R Us
            > carry them?

            In a word, yes. In fact, there are a few Toys-R-Us stores in Germany
            and they do carry many of these kinds of games. More importantly, if
            you go into the toy section of most department stores, you will find
            them filled with Hans im Glueck games, as well as some of the smaller
            companies. I used to live in Bad Homburg in Germany and the local
            Mueller (a department store) had all the Settlers of Cataan
            accessories, all the Kosmos-type 2-player games (like Kahuna, Hellas,
            Odins Raben, etc.), dozens of Hans im Glueck games (Carcassone, El
            Grande, etc.) and so on.

            The trick is, of course, that you have to know German or be able to
            find English translations of the rules. This is most serious for
            games like El Grande which feature a load of cards which are central
            to the game.

            Hope that helped!
            Kevin
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 7, 2003
              Kevin wrote:
              > The trick is, of course, that you have to know
              > German or be able to find English translations
              > of the rules.

              And this is, fortunately, the easy part! Thanks to efforts from translators
              (like Pitt, who does a fair share of them) and having them mostly assembled
              in one place (www.boardgamegeek.com) there should be almost no fear of any
              game in German except the most text-rich. Of course, I always recommend
              getting the Rio Grande Games edition or the Mayfair edition as they are
              almost always the same game (same bits, same production - at least in the
              case of Rio Grande Games and it seems to be increasingly the case for
              Mayfair games) but published in English and it helps those outfits out when
              you buy a game from them. Even if a game is language neutral (which most
              are), it's better to get the US version to help keep these companies afloat
              so that they will be around to produce future great games that really NEED a
              translation.

              In addition to what Kevin said... some of the bigger German/Euro stuff is
              available in Supermarkets and things in Germany. Winners of the SdJ, for
              example, tend to be sold everywhere. Carcassone was pretty easy to pick up
              in supermarkets and other convienence type places from what I understand.

              daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
              http://www.unitygames.org (Unity Games - Eastern MA Gaming)