Allow me to introduce myself...

  • David Fontes
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
      Hello all!
      My name is David Fontes. I just learned about the Unity Games list on
      rec.games.board. I was very happy to learn of a group of gamers from eastern
      Mass., but it seems like most of you are significantly _west_ of me! :(
      I live on Cape Cod, and get together with a group of between 4-6 folks
      just about every week, to play games, of course. Unfortunately, our group
      just took a hit with one of our most passionate gamers moving to Maine, and
      we will be taking another huge hit in the spring when the couple whose
      centrally-located home we usually meet at also move away.
      So, is there anyone out there from the Cape? Or even not too far off-cape,
      like Plymouth or Wareham? My personal gaming tastes are pretty broad, though
      I've noticed myself gravitating more towards the German-style games and away
      from the 75-page rulebook Avalon Hill-style game. (I still love
      Civilization, though!) My current faves are probably, in no particular
      order, Ohne Furcht und Adel, Bohnanza, Dune (a classic which I think will
      _always_ be in my top five!), El Grande, and Samurai. Also having a blast
      with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but haven't played it enough for it to
      qualify as a favorite!
      I would love to start an "official" gaming club on Cape Cod, so if there
      is anyone out there interested, please let me know!
      I do have a website, although currently there is only one game-related
      item in there - http://www.mmiusa.com/ookpik/ - It is way overdue for an
      overhaul, and I do intend to devote an entire section to gaming, once I get
      around to doing the update!
      Anyway, hope to hear from someone!
      -David
      =============
      David Fontes http://www.mmiusa.com/ookpik/
      dfontes@...
    • Craig Massey
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
        --- David Fontes <dfontes@...> wrote:
        Game info snipped.
        > I would love to start an "official" gaming club on
        > Cape Cod, so if there
        > is anyone out there interested, please let me know!

        Hmm, gaming club on Cape Cod eh? Given the propensity
        for acronyms around here, I say start the Cape Cod
        Gamers and take back CCG from those collectible card
        people.

        > I do have a website, although currently there is
        > only one game-related
        > item in there - http://www.mmiusa.com/ookpik/ - It
        > is way overdue for an
        > overhaul, and I do intend to devote an entire
        > section to gaming, once I get
        > around to doing the update!
        > Anyway, hope to hear from someone!

        Welcome to the Unity List David. It's great to have
        you. Hope to get the chance to game with you in the
        near future despite the fact that I'm a north shore
        person. Maybe at the next Unity Games day

        Craig

        =====
        Craig W. Massey
        cwmassey@...

        From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
        http://experts.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
          > Hello all!
          > My name is David Fontes. I just learned about the Unity Games list on
          > rec.games.board. I was very happy to learn of a group of gamers from
          eastern

          Hi David...

          Welcome aboard!

          Depending on where in Cape Cod you are, it's probably not too far for you to
          for some of the UG type events we've had in the past. There has been early
          mumblings of a Unity Games II event in early to mid March that might be
          worth the drive (but you didn't hear it from me!).

          Interestingly enough, Jenn and I typically vacation one or two weekends each
          year in the Dennis/Yarmouth area. Sounds like it might be a potential game
          opportunity (as long as we still get a chance to do all the other great
          things down there as we've come to expect!)

          dber@...
        • Mark Edwards
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
            Welcome David! I think you're right, most of us are just that extra bit west of you to make things tough.

            But if you're willing to travel, perhaps to a few of the "special" events that come by from time to time, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

            One of the special events mentioned was "Unity Games I" which was an all day event we put together in early October. We gamed all day and had about 44 gamers at one point. If you search through the message archives you can find some reports on what it was all about.

            I also had a "game day" back in August where there were about a dozen folks that came to my house and spent the day gaming and eating. I think I might try to put together another one of those on some Saturday in January (sometime after the holidays).

            We've also started to try to make german/designer/family strategy gaming a bit more of a presence in the local cons (Total Confusion and ConMan). Speaking of which I believe Total Confusion is coming up in February. Something to think about.

            Anyhoot, welcome and I look forward to meeting you somewhere down the road for a game or two.

            Mark

            David Fontes wrote:

            > Hello all!
            > My name is David Fontes. I just learned about the Unity Games list on
            > rec.games.board. I was very happy to learn of a group of gamers from eastern
            > Mass., but it seems like most of you are significantly _west_ of me! :(
            > <snip>

            "Ahh, humor you seek . . . fail you will!" - Yoda