Re: Essen Games synopses

  • Aaron D. Fuegi
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2000
      > From: "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@...>
      >Subject: Re: Essen Games synopses
      >
      >Aaron wrote:
      >
      >> Quick Essen Games Report (first trip to Essen)
      >> [snip]
      >
      >Great report Aaron! Thanks for posting it...
      >
      >Any word on 'Empires of the Ancient World'? (or similar title?!?). The
      >title has me intrigued but I've not been able to dig much up on it except
      >for a paragraph on Bruno Faidutti's site (http://faidutti.free.fr/).

      Actually, I should have included this but forgot. Glad you reminded
      me. One of the first things I played although we didn't finish the game.
      The board is kind of Civilization-like with areas of different strength.
      Players start in one space and then expand outwards from that area, conquering
      neutral areas or battling other players. Areas are worth victory points
      during the scoring rounds after turns 2, 3, 4 (card play rounds 19, 27, 34)
      and some also provide resources (trade blocks) at the start of each turn.
      On each card play round, a player has a choice - draft a card from 6
      available cards, lay down trade blocks which will score victory points if they
      survive till the next scoring round or attack an area. Players can also
      'clear' the cards by spending 2 trade blocks ala Show Manager. The cards you
      can take are 'army' cards used in battles and personality cards (like a
      Merchant or General (different name though) or Diplomat) which give you special
      abilities.
      If a player attacks a neutral area, it is a simple die roll to take it
      over (usually about a 2/3 chance to succeed). If he attacks a
      player-controlled area, they fight a battle using 5 of their army cards (each
      player also starts with a small, weak army) in a battle like in "Power Play"
      where each player orders their cards and then they are compared one by one and
      you need to win a majority of the 5 rounds of combat. Each army type has
      special abilities and it is really good to achieve the right match-ups but of
      course very difficult. After the battle, if the attacker won, he takes over
      the space. Also, each player can lose some of his army cards during the
      battle, more if he loses. There are also Naval battles and Siege battles which
      work similarly but where certain units are particularly well suited (like
      Galleys or Siege Towers).
      We only played about half the game (which is about 3 hours long) and it
      was very combat-intensive. I found the battles fun but the board play didn't
      really appeal to me but, again, we didn't play the whole game and may not
      have been playing well (and I was losing) so it is hard to judge but my
      initial rating would be about a 5.5.

      >Another question - is there so much German on the LotR game that it would b=
      >a problem for us non-German types? (I suspect either Matt or Aaron can
      >answer this).

      I agree with Matthew. Either buy it from England or wait for it to
      come out in the US, especially if you want to play it with families which is
      what I think it is best suited for. There is enough text to be a problem
      for many people.
      >--
      >Dave Bernazzani
      >dber@...
      >http://www.gis.net/~dber (South Shore Gamers)

      Aaron

      ps. Btw, sorry about the bad reformatting Egroups is doing to my messages.
      I am not sure why they feel the need to add spurious newline characters when
      my lines are 79 characters or less which is standard.
    • Craig Massey
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2000
        --- "Aaron D. Fuegi" <aarondf@...> wrote:

        Empires of the Ancient World comments Snipped
        > We only played about half the game (which is about
        > 3 hours long) and it
        > was very combat-intensive. I found the battles fun
        > but the board play didn't
        > really appeal to me but, again, we didn't play the
        > whole game and may not
        > have been playing well (and I was losing) so it is
        > hard to judge but my
        > initial rating would be about a 5.5.

        Great report Aaron!!! Thanks so much. One other
        question, did you get a chance to look at Martin's
        other game - Way Out West?

        Craig

        =====
        Craig W. Massey
        cwmassey@...

        From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
        http://experts.yahoo.com/
      • Aaron D. Fuegi
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2000
          > From: Craig Massey <cwmassey@...>
          >Subject: Re: Re: Essen Games synopses
          >
          >Empires of the Ancient World comments Snipped
          >> We only played about half the game (which is about
          >> 3 hours long) and it
          >> was very combat-intensive. I found the battles fun
          >> but the board play didn't
          >> really appeal to me but, again, we didn't play the
          >> whole game and may not
          >> have been playing well (and I was losing) so it is
          >> hard to judge but my
          >> initial rating would be about a 5.5.
          >
          >Great report Aaron!!! Thanks so much. One other
          >question, did you get a chance to look at Martin's
          >other game - Way Out West?

          Thanks. Sorry, didn't get a chance to try out WOW. Too many games -
          too little time. However, there is quite a comprehensive report on B&B at
          http://www.brettboard.dk/cgi-bin2/webdata_games.pl?cgifunction=form&fid=963173548
          Info and pictures from Empires is there too at
          http://www.brettboard.dk/cgi-bin2/webdata_games.pl?cgifunction=form&fid=963174370

          >Craig

          Aaron