Re: Essen Games synopses

  • matthew@gray.org
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2000
      > At the risk of sounding pedantic, do you mean the English/UK
      version, or the
      > US version? Anyone know how they differ? Either way, I'd love to
      play.

      UK version. As far as I know, the US version is not available
      anywhere at all yet. As I understand it there will be:

      Kosmos version in German
      Hasbro/Sophisticated version in English (UK)
      Hasbro/WotC version in English (USA)

      ...Matthew
    • Aaron D. Fuegi
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2000
        > From: "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@...>
        >Subject: Re: Essen Games synopses
        >
        >Aaron wrote:
        >
        >> Quick Essen Games Report (first trip to Essen)
        >> [snip]
        >
        >Great report Aaron! Thanks for posting it...
        >
        >Any word on 'Empires of the Ancient World'? (or similar title?!?). The
        >title has me intrigued but I've not been able to dig much up on it except
        >for a paragraph on Bruno Faidutti's site (http://faidutti.free.fr/).

        Actually, I should have included this but forgot. Glad you reminded
        me. One of the first things I played although we didn't finish the game.
        The board is kind of Civilization-like with areas of different strength.
        Players start in one space and then expand outwards from that area, conquering
        neutral areas or battling other players. Areas are worth victory points
        during the scoring rounds after turns 2, 3, 4 (card play rounds 19, 27, 34)
        and some also provide resources (trade blocks) at the start of each turn.
        On each card play round, a player has a choice - draft a card from 6
        available cards, lay down trade blocks which will score victory points if they
        survive till the next scoring round or attack an area. Players can also
        'clear' the cards by spending 2 trade blocks ala Show Manager. The cards you
        can take are 'army' cards used in battles and personality cards (like a
        Merchant or General (different name though) or Diplomat) which give you special
        abilities.
        If a player attacks a neutral area, it is a simple die roll to take it
        over (usually about a 2/3 chance to succeed). If he attacks a
        player-controlled area, they fight a battle using 5 of their army cards (each
        player also starts with a small, weak army) in a battle like in "Power Play"
        where each player orders their cards and then they are compared one by one and
        you need to win a majority of the 5 rounds of combat. Each army type has
        special abilities and it is really good to achieve the right match-ups but of
        course very difficult. After the battle, if the attacker won, he takes over
        the space. Also, each player can lose some of his army cards during the
        battle, more if he loses. There are also Naval battles and Siege battles which
        work similarly but where certain units are particularly well suited (like
        Galleys or Siege Towers).
        We only played about half the game (which is about 3 hours long) and it
        was very combat-intensive. I found the battles fun but the board play didn't
        really appeal to me but, again, we didn't play the whole game and may not
        have been playing well (and I was losing) so it is hard to judge but my
        initial rating would be about a 5.5.

        >Another question - is there so much German on the LotR game that it would b=
        >a problem for us non-German types? (I suspect either Matt or Aaron can
        >answer this).

        I agree with Matthew. Either buy it from England or wait for it to
        come out in the US, especially if you want to play it with families which is
        what I think it is best suited for. There is enough text to be a problem
        for many people.
        >--
        >Dave Bernazzani
        >dber@...
        >http://www.gis.net/~dber (South Shore Gamers)

        Aaron

        ps. Btw, sorry about the bad reformatting Egroups is doing to my messages.
        I am not sure why they feel the need to add spurious newline characters when
        my lines are 79 characters or less which is standard.
      • Craig Massey
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2000
          --- "Aaron D. Fuegi" <aarondf@...> wrote:

          Empires of the Ancient World comments Snipped
          > We only played about half the game (which is about
          > 3 hours long) and it
          > was very combat-intensive. I found the battles fun
          > but the board play didn't
          > really appeal to me but, again, we didn't play the
          > whole game and may not
          > have been playing well (and I was losing) so it is
          > hard to judge but my
          > initial rating would be about a 5.5.

          Great report Aaron!!! Thanks so much. One other
          question, did you get a chance to look at Martin's
          other game - Way Out West?

          Craig

          =====
          Craig W. Massey
          cwmassey@...

          From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
          http://experts.yahoo.com/
        • Aaron D. Fuegi
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2000
            > From: Craig Massey <cwmassey@...>
            >Subject: Re: Re: Essen Games synopses
            >
            >Empires of the Ancient World comments Snipped
            >> We only played about half the game (which is about
            >> 3 hours long) and it
            >> was very combat-intensive. I found the battles fun
            >> but the board play didn't
            >> really appeal to me but, again, we didn't play the
            >> whole game and may not
            >> have been playing well (and I was losing) so it is
            >> hard to judge but my
            >> initial rating would be about a 5.5.
            >
            >Great report Aaron!!! Thanks so much. One other
            >question, did you get a chance to look at Martin's
            >other game - Way Out West?

            Thanks. Sorry, didn't get a chance to try out WOW. Too many games -
            too little time. However, there is quite a comprehensive report on B&B at
            http://www.brettboard.dk/cgi-bin2/webdata_games.pl?cgifunction=form&fid=963173548
            Info and pictures from Empires is there too at
            http://www.brettboard.dk/cgi-bin2/webdata_games.pl?cgifunction=form&fid=963174370

            >Craig

            Aaron